BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
It is useful. But who powers off his/her console completely the whole time? Reboot payload is a thing so that you (theoretically) never need a dongle anymore. Not even the sd needs to be taken out of the console as hekate has a usb feature for example.

Sperry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put off AutoRCM for a long time and then lost my jig near the beginning of the pandemic. I couldn't get to another 3D printer to print a new one and I sure as fuck wasn't paying $5 on eBay. So yes, I cannot recommend AutoRCM enough.

tayshun12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had to use my jig/ injector for months, even on crashes, I have hekate.bin setup as reboot_payload so no pushing payload anymore either, so yes it is awesome.

thanks for the info! Could you explain how that works? It sounds like when you coldboot the payload is injected? Or do you have to inject the payload on cold boot initially, then anytime a reboot/ crash is necessary, the switch will boot CFW without having to use a payload injector?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Could you explain how that works?
In the atmosphere folder is a file called "reboot_payload.bin". This is the fusee-primary (i think?) payload. When the console crashes, you can easily reboot the payload. What you now do is, you put the hekate payload into this folder, rename it to "reboot_payload.bin" and you're fine. If your console crashes next time, you can easily reboot either into the hekate bootloader (or if you have autoboot enabled) or into your cfw again. That's all

It sounds like when you coldboot the payload is injected?
It isn't a coldboot. More like a..."warmboot"...i would say. Your console is already powered on in this case. And the system just reboots.

Last edited by BaamAlex,

tayshun12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is useful. But who powers off his/her console completely the whole time? Reboot payload is a thing so that you (theoretically) never need a dongle anymore. Not even the sd needs to be taken out of the console as hekate has a usb feature for example.

thanks for the info! Could you explain how the reboot payload works? I often shut my switch off completely as I don’t want it to fully die. Using AMS currently, so I imagine that even when the switch dies in sleep mode AMS will do a proper shutdown? That’s my biggest concern. I have it in a case but I wouldn’t want family to come over, cold boot, think it’s dead and leave it there in RCM and I’d be unaware that it’s been on for days/weeks

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In the atmosphere folder is a file called "reboot_payload.bin". This is the fusee-primary (i think?) payload. When the console crashes, you can easily reboot the payload. What you now do is, you put the hekate payload into this folder, rename it to "reboot_payload.bin" and you're fine. If your console crashes next time, you can easily reboot either into the hekate bootloader (or if you have autoboot enabled) or into your cfw again. That's all

It isn't a coldboot. More like a..."warmboot"...i would say. Your console is already powered on in this case. And the system just reboots.

got it thanks! Quick question. If I leave the switch in sleep mode in AMS, if it does in sleep does AMS do a full shutdown?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Could you explain how the reboot payload works?
If the console crashes, it shows you an atmosphere error screen. And then you can easily reboot the payload if you press one of the volume buttons. This can every rcm payload be. Sounds simple, right?

If I leave the switch in sleep mode in AMS, if it does in sleep does AMS do a full shutdown?
Sleep mode is sleep mode. Not a shutdown.

Reactions: BigOnYa

tayshun12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the console crashes, it shows you an atmosphere error screen. And then you can easily reboot the payload if you press one of the volume buttons. This can every rcm payload be. Sounds simple, right?

Sleep mode is sleep mode. Not a shutdown.

good to know. So what happens if it dies in sleep mode? Restart to rcm or just dead a recharge as usual?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
This is very unlikely. Except you forget that your console is in sleep mode. When the battery is completely empty, it will shutdown. And if you have autorcm enabled, it needs more time for charging. This is very slow while in rcm.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I never used it. The drawbacks are greater than the very minor added convenience IMO. It doesn't save much time as you still need to use a dongle. If you have an hardmod (trinket or similar) that can also act as a jig, so you don't need AutoRCM.
Not being able to boot stock OFW with AutoRCM bothers me. Because it bricks the NAND, booting OFW requires patching it, then it's no longer really stock, and there is a higher chance of ban. I don't want to have to buy another Switch if I can avoid it, so any added risk of ban is too high.

Reactions: p1w1x

p1w1x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I never used it. The drawbacks are greater than the very minor added convenience IMO. It doesn't save much time as you still need to use a dongle. If you have an hardmod (trinket or similar) that can also act as a jig, so you don't need AutoRCM.
Not being able to boot stock OFW with AutoRCM bothers me. Because it bricks the NAND, booting OFW requires patching it, then it's no longer really stock, and there is a higher chance of ban. I don't want to have to buy another Switch if I can avoid it, so any added risk of ban is too high.
I need to ask, if you want to use OFW is better boot w/out RCM and any payload right? It is confirmed?

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I use a modded right-joycon so I never bothered with autoRCM. Even if I fail to trigger RCM when I coldstart the Switch (it can happen sometimes), the fuses are safe since I use an emuNAND. I just turn off the console and retry.
So explain to me what is the difference between a modded joycon and a jig/dongle ? There’s absolutely no bothers with AutoRCM.

The point of AutoRCM, is to avoid the jig.
And I do agree about your concern about sysnand and OFW for online purposes.., do you have statistics about people being banned using sysnand with AutoRCM ?

Last edited by Maupiti,

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
It really depends with how frequent you need to turn off the console. I have a modded right joycon, reboot to payload does anything if I want to start hekate, swap sdcard with switchroot, l4t and whatnot. As someone said, not having the option to boot to OFW bothers me, so, no autoRCM in my Nintendo Switch.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I use autorcm since very early on, on both of my switches, since its one thing less I can forget the place I put it to. In the worst case I'm also most of the time near any kind of pc. The only situation it is a problem, is when I don't use and charge a switch, thats already low battery, so it depplets fully. But even then its just a few minutes charging and reinjecting it with my dongle.

Also I never booted ofw since I use autorcm, and just go online with CFW, and as long as you don't do things like online hacking or instaling nsps, you are pretty safe with all the telemetry blocking atmosphere does. I also never used an emunand or any incognito features, since they probably just increase the risk more then they reduce it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i don't want to pay for a jig, and i don't want to risk shorting my switch. So i use tinfoil, launch up hekate, turn on autoRCM, and never have to worry about a jig,
The RCMloader One comes with a jig and I only paid $10 for it, so I basically got a free jig. But even if you bought one separately, they're like 2 bucks, who cares lol.

Reactions: Maupiti

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So explain to me what is the difference between a modded joycon and a jig/dongle ? There’s absolutely no bothers with AutoRCM.
I decided to mod my joycon for practicality reasons. No need to remove the joycon, insert the jig, go into RCM, remove the jig, and re-insert the joycon. I realise autoRCM is awesome for many users, but for me, it's useless. As for the dongle, I do use one. I got 3 RCMLoader One B dongles, and also an older NS-Atmosphere dongle.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Not that I will change your mind ;), but Ive booted “stock” through the sx os boot.dat, and later through Hekate/sept since they’ve been around.
Im still not banned yet . Everything you do from pushing payloads can be considered a risk though, I can understand the desire to minimalise them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf