Is AR a gimmick ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by pachura, Mar 2, 2011.

1. pachura
    OP

pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2006
    Not trolling, just wondering...

I get it's cool to practise virtual fishing or to shoot a photo of a Super Mario figurine standing on your table. But all these games/demos/whatever seem to be really simple and not having lasting appeal. Would you still play Face Raiders after having 3DS for few months ?

AR games can be cool as mini-games in something like Another Code, when you have to perform a specific, short task. Or in WarioWare 3DS (if it is to come). But can they make fully-fledged games ?

Another thing is that AR games are not really so fit for mobile gaming. For me, a game is "mobile" if you can play it everywhere - in a bus, in a crowded waiting room, sitting on the floor. I don't think it would work well with AR cards. Not even to mention 3D; I imagine it must be quite difficult to focus your eyes and keep them in the "sweet spot" of 3D while running around a virtual monster on your carpet...

What do you think ?

2. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010
    well, there has been an argument about what "gimmick" really meant.

my opinion is a gimmick is something that is unique to a gaming system that will lure gamers to buy/play the console/game.

so i say it's a gimmick.

3. TheNikkoMan

TheNikkoMan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2010
    Norway
    Oslo
    I agree, but I'd like to add that, at least I, don't count a gimmick as negative. In this case it's the complete opposite.

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Well AR isn't unique to the 3DS. You might say AR in general is a gimmick, though.

5. Donald Serrot

Donald Serrot GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2009
    United States
    As TheNikkoMan said, I'd call it one, but a positive one not a negative one. I know I for one am practically raving about this feature to anyone that will listen. XD

One thing I keep coming back to is it kinda combines Nintendo's history. Nintendo was originally a card game company, and before they tried video gamed they were a general toy company. AR is a toy, and amazing adult (get your mind out of the gutter) toy that used cards, Nintendo cards, on a Nintendo game system. the 3DS represents Nintendo's rich history! [​IMG]

6. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    Yes it is a gimmick. An awesome gimmick.

Adding AR to a Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon game would be nothing more than a gimmick, and people would be fine with that. It would add nothing else to the gameplay.

7. Ikki

Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Jun 1, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    It's a gimmick as it's not.

AR on a Pokémon game would be a gimmick. AR in AR based games isn't.

8. twiztidsinz

twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimmick
    It is a gimmick... Just as two screens on the DS was a gimmick, just as 3D on the 3DS is a gimmick, just as the Wiimote on the Wii was a gimmick.
    It doesn't mean it's bad, it's just something that stands out and might not always be useful.

9. AntvgX

AntvgX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2007
    Serbia, Republic of
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbTJw_2E-Ww[/youtube]

10. Ikki

Jun 1, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo

Unrelated post is unrelated.

11. AntvgX

AntvgX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2007
    Serbia, Republic of
    Was just showing AR potential.

12. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    seen that last year

13. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    A gimmick is not really a bad thing. AR really peaks my interest and curiosity, makes me want to 3DS even more. So yes, it's luring me into it, but I really do feel this technology is something that can be taken farther in the near future. And by the way, I also love achievements, progress with proof.

14. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    It's a feature that ventures away from the norm in an attempt to make the product more desirable.

Of course it's a gimmick.

15. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch
    AR= DEFINITE gimmick. the 3D is also a gimmick... by the very definition of the word.

But whether or not it will be useful and properly supported... we are yet to know.

16. Ikki

Jun 1, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    You're ignoring the fact that some games are entirely AR based.