Hacking is a DSi worth it?!

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for the XL to price drop in 2-3 years before I even think of one. No GBA support is a minus for me and to hell with download games. If I buy a game I want a physical copy. I want the RIGHT to be able to play it down the road on the system I bought it for, not for Nintendo to say I no longer have the right to use that copy when they decide it's obsolete. I also prefer being able to sell off copies of games I no longer want rather than being stuck with nothing.

My rule is... if I'm going to download it and get no physical version, I'll save my money and bootleg it instead. The DSi line holds no appeal for me at this time but I hope by the time I do buy one, it'll be fully cracked and even the download titles can be run via flash card.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mechagouki said:
Diosoth said:
No GBA support is a minus for me
Why? There really are not that many great GBA games, and you can pick up an SP for like $25 bucks if you really want to play them.
Metroid series
Mother (EarthBound) series
Kirby series
Castlevania series
Golden Sun series
Zelda Minish Cap, Zelda LotP+4S
Super Mario Advance series
Mario+Luigi RPG1
WarioWare series
Bomberman Tournament (or Story, depending on region)
Megaman Zero series (Collection is coming to DS)
Megaman Battle Network series
Sonic the Hedgehog series
Fire Emblem series
Final Fantasy Series
Pokémon Generation 3 series
Mario Kart GBA
Mario Golf and Mario Tennis GBA
Doom series
Duke Nukem Advance
Gunstar Super Heroes
Rayman Advance and Rayman 3
Advance Wars series
Boktai series
F-Zero GBA

Not many great GBA games? Sure, all the games that I've just listed aren't very good... /sarcasm

EDIT: Added some more games. The count is up to 63.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The question: Is the Nintendo DSi Worth it? [Is it worth the $150.00?]

The Nintendo DSi is the third in the Nintendo DS lineup. First released in 2008 in Japan, the Nintendo DSi features two .3 megapixel cameras. The inner camera is used for taking a picture of yourself. The outside camera is used for taking pictures of everything else, the outside camera also has a face tracking device for the Camera App's "Face Merge" feature. The Main Difference the DSi has gaming wise is down-loadable software via the DSi Shop. [If your Nintendo DSi System is kept up-to-date in terms of system firmware]You can purchase "Nintendo Points" to buy and download "Nintendo DSi Ware" which range from small game tittles to apps like Super Mario Clock/Calculator. There are currently two free items on the DSi Shop, The DSi Web Browser(Powered by Opera) and Flipnote Studio(Online services provided by Hineta.)
Flipnote Studio allows you to create a sketch or a sequence of sketches and add sound, then share them with the world on Hineta.
The DSi Browser allows you to browse the internet.(However this browser is very limited as flash is not compatible as well as any other media besides pictures. Sites like GBATemp take about 1~2minutes to finish loading a single page!)
I don't download DSi Ware so I can't give any good insights on great DSi Ware tittles.
The DSi's Cameras are crap when compared to the earliest cell phones that have cameras .(Even the Nextel i780 kicks the DSi Camera's butts!)
One Nice feature is the ability to switch FIVE brightness settings, that is one more than the DS LITE, you can also change the brightness setting ANYTIME by pressing and holding SELECT and the pressing VOL + for more brightness or VOL - for less brightness. This is a major improvement.
The use of sliders for VOLUME control and Power are gone too! Both the volume and power are handled by buttons! No more broken sliders!
This DSi is built in a similar fashion to the DS LITE so it suffers from the same loos/broken henge problems as the DS LITE and with the 3DS about a year away it does seem short lived.
There is only one DSi Exclusive game, Photo Showdown, which I think is a Pokemon-Like RPG where you get monsters by taking pictures of stuff or something, it doesn't work with my Acekard so I can't give it a proper review.
Speaking of Acekard...If you have and R4DS, Acekard, EZ Flash, N7, Etc you will find that they are incompatible with the DSi.
In order to load ROMs on a DSi you will need flashcards like the Acekard2i or TTDSi or iPlayer or EZ Flash iV (The answer is in the "i") that are built specifically for use on a DSi. BE WARNED THOUGH, THERE ARE FAKE ACEKARD 2i'S OUT THERE AND AKAIO (THE FIRMWARE YOU SHOULD BE USING) WILL NOT WORK ON FAKES/CLONES.
The other downer is update able firmware, as it is update able...Nintendo can update the firmware to block your flashcards/hacks...always double check to see if it is okay to upgrade the firmware of your DSi on GBATemp BEFORE updating your DSi...or you could wind up like the poor suckers that updated to 1.4U first.
The system also DOES NOT HAVE A GBA SLOT which means ANY GAMES THAT NEED AN ACCESSORY IN THE GBA SLOT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE DSi. (Pokemon will still work fine, but you will just not be able to import monsters via pal park unless you use an application like POKESAV to modify the SAVE FILE but that is a different story.)

Overall, the DSi is not a bad system, but there is just not a lot different about it in a gaming prospective.
It is a DS LITE with upgradeable firmware that can block flashcards, it has cameras, down-loadable software, and no GBA Slot.
I give the system a 8/10 because of the loss of GBA Support and gay firmware updates that block Acekard2is!
mad.gif

zaro27

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My advice to you is buy an XL and get a DSTWO when ShopTemp starts selling them. I've got a DSONEi and I love the hell out of it. DSTWO is supposed to have GBA emulation capabilities, so that means that I can finally play the Earthbound franchise on the go...which is gonna be awesome. You won't regret getting a DSi, but if you're an early adopter you might end up getting a 3DS next April or May, so I suppose your mileage may vary.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YayMii said:
mechagouki said:
Diosoth said:
No GBA support is a minus for me
Why? There really are not that many great GBA games, and you can pick up an SP for like $25 bucks if you really want to play them.
Metroid series
Mother (EarthBound) series
Kirby series
Castlevania series
Golden Sun series
Zelda Minish Cap, Zelda LotP+4S
Super Mario Advance series
Mario+Luigi RPG1
WarioWare series
Bomberman Tournament (or Story, depending on region)
Megaman Zero series (Collection is coming to DS)
Megaman Battle Network series
Sonic the Hedgehog series
Fire Emblem series
Final Fantasy Series
Pokémon Generation 3 series
Mario Kart GBA
Mario Golf and Mario Tennis GBA
Doom series
Duke Nukem Advance
Gunstar Super Heroes
Rayman Advance and Rayman 3
Advance Wars series
Boktai series
F-Zero GBA

Not many great GBA games? Sure, all the games that I've just listed aren't very good... /sarcasm

EDIT: Added some more games. The count is up to 63.

So out of 2819 official releases you managed to pick 63? That's roughly 2.25%. Zelda LttP, the Final Fastasy games, the Super Mario Advance games, and the Doom games are not console exclusives so should not count. If you're talking original game-paks then the Mother games are unusable if you don't read Japanese, and if you're talking roms on a slot 1 device then the Boktai games are pointless and owning an SP is a smart idea if you want to play Mario Kart multiplayer. I personally always thought the GBA was overrated, I enjoyed the system exclusive Castlevania and Metroid games and LoZ: The Minish Cap, but nothing else really grabbed me, if it had had two more buttons and the power to properly emulate the SNES I might like it more.

This is all probably moot anyway as either the next gen (extra chip) flash cards will have GBA support (iPlayer already claiming it IIRC) or someone will unlock the Dsi's more powerful hardware and make use of it to provide a good GBA emu.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
DSi is pointless with the 3DS on the cards for a release soon. I suggest getting a decent 2nd hand DSLite as it'll be just as good and not cost as much (although the buttons will be worse)

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSi is the biggest scam I've ever seen. Remove half the game library and charge $50 more.

Oh, but how do we force people to buy it anyways? Add some cellphone cameras.

Get a used DS/Lite or wait for the 3DS.

SokeSleezy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DJ91990 said:
The question: Is the Nintendo DSi Worth it? [Is it worth the $150.00?]

The Nintendo DSi is the third in the Nintendo DS lineup. First released in 2008 in Japan, the Nintendo DSi features two .3 megapixel cameras. The inner camera is used for taking a picture of yourself. The outside camera is used for taking pictures of everything else, the outside camera also has a face tracking device for the Camera App's "Face Merge" feature. The Main Difference the DSi has gaming wise is down-loadable software via the DSi Shop. [If your Nintendo DSi System is kept up-to-date in terms of system firmware]You can purchase "Nintendo Points" to buy and download "Nintendo DSi Ware" which range from small game tittles to apps like Super Mario Clock/Calculator. There are currently two free items on the DSi Shop, The DSi Web Browser(Powered by Opera) and Flipnote Studio(Online services provided by Hineta.)
Flipnote Studio allows you to create a sketch or a sequence of sketches and add sound, then share them with the world on Hineta.
The DSi Browser allows you to browse the internet.(However this browser is very limited as flash is not compatible as well as any other media besides pictures. Sites like GBATemp take about 1~2minutes to finish loading a single page!)
I don't download DSi Ware so I can't give any good insights on great DSi Ware tittles.
The DSi's Cameras are crap when compared to the earliest cell phones that have cameras .(Even the Nextel i780 kicks the DSi Camera's butts!)
One Nice feature is the ability to switch FIVE brightness settings, that is one more than the DS LITE, you can also change the brightness setting ANYTIME by pressing and holding SELECT and the pressing VOL + for more brightness or VOL - for less brightness. This is a major improvement.
The use of sliders for VOLUME control and Power are gone too! Both the volume and power are handled by buttons! No more broken sliders!
This DSi is built in a similar fashion to the DS LITE so it suffers from the same loos/broken henge problems as the DS LITE and with the 3DS about a year away it does seem short lived.
There is only one DSi Exclusive game, Photo Showdown, which I think is a Pokemon-Like RPG where you get monsters by taking pictures of stuff or something, it doesn't work with my Acekard so I can't give it a proper review.
Speaking of Acekard...If you have and R4DS, Acekard, EZ Flash, N7, Etc you will find that they are incompatible with the DSi.
In order to load ROMs on a DSi you will need flashcards like the Acekard2i or TTDSi or iPlayer or EZ Flash iV (The answer is in the "i") that are built specifically for use on a DSi. BE WARNED THOUGH, THERE ARE FAKE ACEKARD 2i'S OUT THERE AND AKAIO (THE FIRMWARE YOU SHOULD BE USING) WILL NOT WORK ON FAKES/CLONES.
The other downer is update able firmware, as it is update able...Nintendo can update the firmware to block your flashcards/hacks...always double check to see if it is okay to upgrade the firmware of your DSi on GBATemp BEFORE updating your DSi...or you could wind up like the poor suckers that updated to 1.4U first.
The system also DOES NOT HAVE A GBA SLOT which means ANY GAMES THAT NEED AN ACCESSORY IN THE GBA SLOT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE DSi. (Pokemon will still work fine, but you will just not be able to import monsters via pal park unless you use an application like POKESAV to modify the SAVE FILE but that is a different story.)

Overall, the DSi is not a bad system, but there is just not a lot different about it in a gaming prospective.
It is a DS LITE with upgradeable firmware that can block flashcards, it has cameras, down-loadable software, and no GBA Slot.
I give the system a 8/10 because of the loss of GBA Support and gay firmware updates that block Acekard2is!
mad.gif

well u've pretty much answered all my questions lol...i could careless bout "downloadable software" cuz i never used that wit the lite,dont play gba games so dont care bout it not havin one,pretty much u've made my choice for me,the ds lite it is! LOL....AND i passed by Nintendo World today and the XL is freakin huge!!! its bigger than my old freakin Game Gear,thats insane,no way id get that thing,lol....

now my other question: is the Orange Naruto Ds Lite an official one or is it a fake,cuz i dont remember ever seein anything about it...

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DJ91990 said:
There is only one DSi Exclusive game, Photo Showdown, which I think is a Pokemon-Like RPG where you get monsters by taking pictures of stuff or something, it doesn't work with my Acekard so I can't give it a proper review.Umm... there's Foto Showdown, System Flaw, and Picture Perfect Hair Salon. And there's more coming.
QUOTE(Exbaddude @ Apr 21 2010, 11:52 PM) ^ O: I was considering to get one, but Acekard2i's don't work? I was gonna get an Acekard if I got a DSi XL, but...
Where'd you hear that from? I have a DSi XL, and my Acekard works flawlessly.

Exbaddude

The Prince.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
YayMii said:
DJ91990 said:
There is only one DSi Exclusive game, Photo Showdown, which I think is a Pokemon-Like RPG where you get monsters by taking pictures of stuff or something, it doesn't work with my Acekard so I can't give it a proper review.Umm... there's Foto Showdown, System Flaw, and Picture Perfect Hair Salon. And there's more coming.
QUOTE(Exbaddude @ Apr 21 2010, 11:52 PM) ^ O: I was considering to get one, but Acekard2i's don't work? I was gonna get an Acekard if I got a DSi XL, but...
Where'd you hear that from? I have a DSi XL, and my Acekard works flawlessly.
Seriously? ^^ I hope a firmware update doesn't block it. Thanks!

nycsam786

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exbaddude said:
^ O: I was considering to get one, but Acekard2i's don't work? I was gonna get an Acekard if I got a DSi XL, but...
It does work you just need to flash the card or purchase it pre-flashed.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mechagouki said:
So out of 2819 official releases you managed to pick 63? That's roughly 2.25%.
You're just being stupid now. The 2819 releases include various regions, I only counted a single region (the number 63 came from counting every game in each series, such as Megaman Battle Network, which had about 10). I didn't name all of the good games, and you failed to realize that the GBA is in the same situation as the DS, with about 95% shovelware.

drag0nzord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i love my dsi.

although having an SD card slot is useless, so is a gba slot for me.

the DSi also looks and feels a lot nicer than the lites, IMO the lites feel like cheap kids toys.

i dont know why everyone is like "omg wait for 3ds".....its not even gona be out for at least for another year and thats just speaking about asia.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YayMii said:
You're just being stupid now. The 2819 releases include various regions, I only counted a single region.

I must be being stupid if I missed the NA release of Mother 1+2, also (and I quote),

YayMiiBomberman Tournament (or Story, depending on region)
so you were talking more than one region after all?

Anyhow, you seem to have misconstrued my original post as GBA bashing, which it was not. I simply stated my opinion that not being able to play a relatively small archive of dated software should not be a major consideration for someone thinking of purchasing a DSi.

Cronoadvan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get the Xl. Its my first Ds, and yes its good. The games dont look stretched or anything. Plus the camera functions are a nice plus. As a replacement or first Ds, its a great choice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs