Homebrew Is a decent FTP server for the 3DS impossible?

Elwyndas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only somewhat functional FTP server, FTPd, works OK for small files.
Anything big, or a large number of files, are a PIA. It takes forever, stalls, stops, crashes.
With an ancient and well established protocol like FTP, I don't understand why that is.
On my home network it should be a breeze to transfer files wirelessly. But it isn't.
For example I would like to install Retroarch nightlies more frequently to test them, but I don't do it because it's wasting my time.
Taking out the SD card sucks too.
We really need a better FTP server.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have never had any problem with ftpd snap stalling or crashing even when I transfer large files. Plus the speed is down to how poor the WiFi adapter is in the 3ds especially in an original 3ds the fastest it can go is 500 kilobytes per second.

Elwyndas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never had any problem with ftpd snap stalling or crashing even when I transfer large files. Plus the speed is down to how poor the WiFi adapter is in the 3ds especially in an original 3ds the fastest it can go is 500 kilobytes per second.

I use N3DS. Which client do you use on the PC side? Any special settings?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use FileZilla on both my windows and Linux computers and FtpCafe on android none of them have special settings.

Also the N3DS is only slightly improved speed wise but you are still going to get transfer speeds slower than 1mb a second. Like I said its poor hardware design and nothing to do with ftpd snap

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The only somewhat functional FTP server, FTPd, works OK for small files.
Anything big, or a large number of files, are a PIA. It takes forever, stalls, stops, crashes.
With an ancient and well established protocol like FTP, I don't understand why that is.
On my home network it should be a breeze to transfer files wirelessly. But it isn't.
For example I would like to install Retroarch nightlies more frequently to test them, but I don't do it because it's wasting my time.
Taking out the SD card sucks too.
We really need a better FTP server.
You can use MicroSD Management, it's far more stable than FTP. Faster speeds too.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure it's any better but I've always used 3dshell's built in ftp server. SD card management/samaba seems faster/more reliable for transfers if a bit obnoxious to get to. (Plus I keep getting exceptions whenever I leave it...)

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Elwyndas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use MicroSD Management, it's far more stable than FTP. Faster speeds too.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know about the stock MicroSD Management feature. I guess I'm not ever using devices the regular way, and go straight to homebrew!

Anyway I got it going. Thanks. It transfers 1 MB per second, which is as high as it get. The best part is that I can use my trusted copying app Teracopy on Windows 10. So no more FTP.

One Windows 10 you must follow these steps to make it work. The Fall creator update removed the protocol Nintendo uses, so you need to reactivate it. Not a biggie, it worked right away when I applied the fix.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-microsd-management-smbv1-and-windows-10.494618/

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have issues with ftp on the 3ds as well. it's the same thing the op is encountering. micro sd management works perfectly though, but you need smb v1. it's disabled by default in windows due to security flaws. it also messes things up with the ps vita as per my experience. that's why I'd rather just remove the card and transfer manually.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to disagree here. FTP transfers max out at 1.4 mb/s, and Samba speeds cap at 600 kb/s. The 3DS's deprecated implementation has problems with most modern operating systems these days, too.
Is that a setting in Windows 10?
Change your transfer mode to binary, too. This will prevent file corruption caused by the transfer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am kind surprised no one has made a Pi to cart adapter for older systems... Like a universal... +1