Homebrew Question is a 3D game engine for switch now possible?

dotaku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So now that OpenGL is supported would it be possible to create or port a existing 3D game engine to work with the switch and run in homebrew? To clarify I am not talking about something like the port of the quake 2 engine but a engine where you can create your own game like unity (but less advanced would do).

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
What you're talking about ***is*** the Quake 2 engine. Unless there's another 3D engine that is open source and that developers are willing to port, no dice. Sorry bud.

D

Deleted-442439

Creating a game engine from scratch requires knowledge beyond what most developers in the scene can handle, and the ones that could would not have the time or resources. It's a massive project.

You will need to implement sound, collisions, create a physics engine, polygon renderer, lighting, cull invisible surfaces, handle animation and 3D models, draw skinned meshes, get a particle system setup etc. I could go on for a long time, its just not really worth it.

Best bet for 3D homebrew games is Unity with all its Switch SDK dependencies (NX addon for Unity, Clang for compiling, NVN API etc.) , but that is obviously illegal, and completely unrelated to OpenGL in LibNX.

dotaku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Creating a game engine from scratch requires knowledge beyond what most developers in the scene can handle, and the ones that could would not have the time or resources. It's a massive project.

You will need to implement sound, collisions, create a physics engine, polygon renderer, lighting, cull invisible surfaces, handle animation and 3D models, draw skinned meshes, get a particle system setup etc. I could go on for a long time, its just not really worth it.

Best bet for 3D homebrew games is Unity with all its Switch SDK dependencies (NX addon for Unity, Clang for compiling, NVN API etc.) , but that is obviously illegal, and completely unrelated to OpenGL in LibNX.

I see, that's sad :/ But thanks for your answer :)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weeeeeeell...

Acquiring the SDK without registering for it is illegal, yeah, but depending on the format of the homebrew title, one could make the case that the output is legal to distribute. I know that Stick Magician for the Wii U is a good example of a homebrew game built using the console-specific Unity tools, but it was compiled in a way that could be loaded via Loadiine

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted-442439

Weeeeeeell...

Acquiring the SDK without registering for it is illegal, yeah, but depending on the format of the homebrew title, one could make the case that the output is legal to distribute. I know that Stick Magician for the Wii U is a good example of a homebrew game built using the console-specific Unity tools, but it was compiled in a way that could be loaded via Loadiine

Well:

1. As you said acquiring the SDK without being authorized by Nintendo is illegal.
2. Using the SDK for HB breaches the NDA if you did get the SDK legally.
3.A Unity Middleware license for Switch is required to be allowed to publish a Switch game made in Unity.

I simply do not see any way this could be made legal.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well:

1. As you said acquiring the SDK without being authorized by Nintendo is illegal.
2. Using the SDK for HB breaches the NDA if you did get the SDK legally.
3.A Unity Middleware license for Switch is required to be allowed to publish a Switch game made in Unity.

I simply do not see any way this could be made legal.
Oh no, like I said, there's no way for the author of the software to legally make it. The distribution of the software is a slightly different story, though

Reactions: Deleted-442439
D

Deleted-442439

Quick question: The only way to test your game (legally) on Switch is buying a dev kit?

Well if you got a Dev kit (EDEV is used for testing) you can only legally use your own dev builds, it can not run retail games as its prodinfo is for devcrypto titles, not prod titles (production). So even with a EDEV you could not "test" games.

The only way to test games legally is through demos or buying them.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you got a Dev kit (EDEV is used for testing) you can only legally use your own dev builds, it can not run retail games as its prodinfo is for devcrypto titles, not prod titles (production). So even with a EDEV you could not "test" games.

The only way to test games legally is through demos or buying them.
No what I meant is like on iOS I can just download an app I developed onto any iPhone to test it, but on Switch you have to buy their dev hardware.

D

Deleted-442439

No what I meant is like on iOS I can just download an app I developed onto any iPhone to test it, but on Switch you have to buy their dev hardware.

Yes that is correct, Developers do not have the Luna Client that Nintendo uses to produce retail signed NCAs, they can only make Dev versions in authoringtools.

You can run a debug apk on a retail Android unit, but for Switch you do indeed need a dev unit to test.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...