Ips Screen New 3dsXl

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by huntertoochillz, Nov 22, 2016.

1. huntertoochillz
    OP

huntertoochillz Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2016
    United States
    Im about to buy a new3ds XL tomorrow off of bestbuy and ship it. I heard all the new 3ds Xl blacks are IPS screens is this true. IM very worried i will get a TN and be upset any advice or help? (By black i mean the black version not the new pokemon version 3ds)

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    no system is guaranteed to have a ips screen. you cant even tell the differance when playing games. and ips isnt much better than tn.

3. huntertoochillz
    OP

huntertoochillz Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2016
    United States
    I was told there is much of a differnce and comparing my 2 friends next to each other theres a HUGE differnce.

4. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    So buy one, if you get IPS, then good for you, if you get TN go to your corner and cry, if you get one of each, pat yourself on the back :toot::grog::toot:

5. huntertoochillz
    OP

huntertoochillz Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2016
    United States
    I dont have the money and i find this Bullshit how cheap nintendo could be But i talked to bestbuy and they told me i could exchange it.

6. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    I have used tn and ips screens and there is a huge difference when you go from ips to tn , people who don't own a ips screen will tell you there's almost no difference

7. huntertoochillz
    OP

huntertoochillz Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2016
    United States
    im more of a pc gamer and have IPS screen Moniters so its kinda big :/

8. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    Oi mate, you guys (across the pond) have the chance of buying a New3ds for £80, our Amazon sells them for £160, so quit whining.

Last edited by swabbo, Nov 22, 2016
    TarkinMX likes this.
  9. HuskyXD

HuskyXD Banned

Banned
    Nov 5, 2016
    Canada
    If you like playing games at Weird Angles than IP screens are the best. Other than that, there's barely any difference between tn and ip/

10. lidolinn

lidolinn Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2011
    United States
    First off, I'm not picky by any means. I picked up a monster hunter bundle few months ago. I set it side by side with my N3DS XL Hyrule with IPS screen. The different is very visible, I don't even have to eye-ball it to find the different. The depth, color, contrast just pops out on the IPS screen. I am so disappointed that I have to return it. There are alot of website compare TN and IPS screens, to me, they are not exaggerating at all, the different between IPS and TN is that much.

So, to OP, if possible, find them and set both screen side by side and decided for yourself. Ever since knowing the difference, any TN system is a deal breaker for me. You can't listen to others' preferences to make choice for you. You only buy one system for years, may as well get the most out of your money. It is a hassle, but you will only go through the trouble once.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Couldn't agree more, the different between IPS and TN is so much noticeable.

IPS is better? Debateable, it maybe better for different people. If they say they don't like the high contrast of IPS screen and prefer the natural color of TN, that is understandable. But to say there is barely any difference is a little too much. I mean, how can you missed it, they are so much different.

11. Virdoo

Virdoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Only thing where you're going to notice difference is if you're going to play your 3DS from various angles, which most likely you won't. So you shouldn't worry about which screen you're getting. Both of them will make their job.

12. koz

koz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2015
    I have a few New3DS's which I tested with the homebrew screen checker.

I was surprised that of the 3 models I tried only one had the IPS top screen. :wtf:

Some say the differences between TN and IPS are very noticeable. :wacko:

For me I look mainly straight on and they seem very similar. :huh:

Don't be too worried if you get a TN. It's still a high quality unit. :)

astrangeone likes this.
  13. Jackson Ferrell

Jackson Ferrell Naked Banana

Nov 28, 2015
    Australia
    I have 4 3DS' (2 Old, 2 New) what are the odds of getting an IPS screen?

14. SaagiBols

SaagiBols The AnalSavior

Jan 29, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    Here, There, and Everywhere!..
    i bought a black n3ds xl on 11.0 a few days ago without intentionally wanting it to have ips and it turned out to have it) but i cant see much deference with my o3ds tn screen...

15. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    The look of the IPS screens on my Hyrule Gold console is great. I had a Majora's Mask console at one point and it only had top IPS and bottom TN. Having both screens as IPS is really nice as I can look at them from most angles and still see proper non-washed out colors