Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I'm on 4.2.1 and my iPod decided not to let me sync music. By that I mean that after a couple of seconds of transferring music, SpringBoard will reset itself and I'll have to restart my computer in order for iTunes not to freeze when I plug in my iPod. It was jailbreaked using GreenPois0n RC6.

I figured, "I'll just restore to 4.2.1 and rejailbreak, not a big deal". All I had was apps anyway, nothing really. So I enter the iPod into DFU Mode and Shift-Clicked "Restore" to bring up the 4.2.1 IPSW. Click restore and iTunes does its thing. The Hosts file is modified to reroute gs.apple.com to 74.208.105.171. I have saved my 4.2.1 SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella. It gets to the "Restoring iPod Software" stage and will freeze about 10 seconds in and so far hasn't budged for about 5 minutes. My iPod has a screen like this except nothing has passed through the progress bar:

iphone-progress.jpg

My computer has iTunes at this step:

xe215x.jpg

Any ideas? I've tried using a different cable and no dice. I'm on iTunes 10.2.1 (latest) if that makes a difference.

All I can do is wait or hold the power button to get out of it and iTunes will shoot me a 14 Error.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
Did you start the TSS server in Tiny Umbrella? (and are you using the latest version)
Whoops. Well I did just now but it still gets stuck in the same spot. Here's a screen of my TinyUmbrella window. Is there a log we can look at?

Untitled-2.jpg

EDIT from TinyUmbrella Log:

QUOTE03/27/2011 20:23:39.828 Wrote TSS response
03/27/2011 20:23:43.910 DFU Device disconnected
03/27/2011 20:23:46.130 Recovery Device connected:
03/27/2011 20:23:53.314 Recovery Device disconnected: null
Hardware problem?

EDIT 2:

Restarted computer & iPod, TinyUmbrella now showing correct ECID under "Recovery Devices". The one above was incorrect. Redownloading the firmware to make sure my copy isn't corrupt.

*Sigh* no dice.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got it into a working state now. My computer seemed to be at fault however I'm not sure what aspect of it. I installed iTunes on my sister's computer and restored my iPod to 4.3.1. I'm fine with no jailbreak for the moment, I only used it to obtain extremely expensive but useful apps (such as LogMeIn Ignition) and battery percentage. I can live without that for however long it takes for the 4.3.1 untethered exploit is released.

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to reinstall my iTunes drivers since that's what seems to be at fault at the moment. USB drives are fine as well as the cord. The pin connectors on the iPod are fine as well.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just a small update on my progress, everything is working on my original computer now.

After the restore was done on my sister's computer, iTunes failed to recognize it on my Windows 7 desktop & it refused to load it as anything but a camera. So following some instructions online, I basically opened up the Device Manager and found the iPod in "Portable Devices" as a camera. Right-clicked onto "Update Drivers" and had it allow me to search for it manually. I navigated to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers" and continued with the driver update. Everything checked out okay and Windows installed the Apple Mobile USB Driver. Unplugged my iPod, waited for 15 seconds and replugged it. iTunes recognized it and the data flow is absolutely seamless.

I had reinstalled iTunes several times during the trial and error process to single out the issue but no dice using that method. The above method was the only one that proved working.

As a summary, the original problem was not my iPod or the cord or the USB ports, but Apple's drivers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: @HoTuan You'll need one that hasn't had its stock firmware updated in quite some time, for starters