iPod on 4.2 tethered- what next

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by Livin in a box, Apr 13, 2011.

Apr 13, 2011
  1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    I have my iPod Touch 4G on redsn0w 0.9.6b6 tethered (4.2.1) at the moment and I would like to go to an untethered version, preferably without restoring. I heard somewhere that you can upgrade directly from the tethered to the untethered without restoring, so if I can do that then I would very much like to so there's no hassle. I have Mac OSX available in a virtual machine so I can run anything I need to. Or should I just wait for the 4.3.1 untethered jailbreak?

On my iPod I have AppSync and the usual stuff installed if it matters.

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Errm... iOS 4.3.1 has been untethered for the past two weeks. [​IMG] Update or restore (I recommend the latter), and run the latest redsn0w for an untethered jailbreak on iOS 4.3.1.

Nevertheless, if you still want an untethered 4.2.1, just run the latest greenpois0n or redsn0w over your current setup (do not reinstall Cydia).

3. Livin in a box
    OP

United Kingdom
    Wow, I didn't know it had, I read that it was dangerous and shouldn't be installed. Maybe that was just for the iPhone folks with ultrasn0w or something.

The only problem I have with restoring is that I can't make a backup; I have AppBackup from Cydia and everything is backed up, but will I definitely be able to restore all my saves for my apps back? I really don't want to lose everything which is why I'm being so cautious.

The problem I have is that if my iPod goes off I can't get past boot because the boot stuff has been modified by various things; I have to re-run redsn0w to be able to use my device which is why I'm pretty desperate for untethered.

EDIT: That is, I can't make a backup with iTunes because it threatens to delete apps.

4. Dialexio

United States
    Unfortunately, AppBackup doesn't work with iOS 4.3.1 yet. But if you're knowledgeable enough, you can manually restore the data.

The untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 was indeed a bit shaky at first, but all of the kinks have been worked out now. [​IMG]

5. Livin in a box
    OP

United Kingdom
    Does knowledgeable enough mean SSHing it and manually copying and pasting it all back in?

6. Dialexio

United States
    Yup. Either that, or use a program like iPhone Explorer. [​IMG] For some apps, you need to open them once before restoring your data/preferences/etc.

7. Livin in a box
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well I updated it to greenpois0n's untethered jailbreak and all's fine, so I'm going to leave it like it is for a while and when I need to I'll upgrade. I don't see any particular need at the moment.