Homebrew iPhone or iPod emulator?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
huiminghao said:
The iPhone and iPod are too powerful for NDS...

If NDS had a MMU, it would be more easier to emulate GBA....

The x86 CPU doesn't have a full MMU (unless you have a newer CPU with hardware virtualization support), yet software virtualizers like Virtualbox seem to do fine without having a full MMU (i.e. hardware virtualizaton support). Could the same tricks that VMware/Virtualbox use (code scanning for incompatible instructions is the one I know of) be used on the DS to let GBA games run in DS mode without doing CPU emulation?

D

Deleted-236924

Selim873 said:
The iPhone is much more powerful than you think. It even has a hard time emulating the N64!
Why do I feel like those two statements don't really complete each other?

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe this could help. It is directly from Wikipedia, so it has to be the truth.

iPhone%20Spec.PNG

DS%20Spec.PNG

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Waflix said:
Maybe this could help. It is directly from Wikipedia, so it has to be the truth.

iPhone%20Spec.PNG

DS%20Spec.PNG
And with a comparison like that, it still baffles me why any of us ever bought a DS. Think about it. Compare the price of the 3DS to the price of a default iTouch 4g. You get (buying the iTouch) much better hardware for less money. The games (Appstore) are way cheaper, though the DSiWare shop is a step in the right direction. The iTouch is way easier to run unsigned code on, but is a bit tricky in terms of SDK's, so the only reason i could really see to buy a DS, is that it is a nice beginners platform for programming projects
smile.gif

But as stated previously, the DS can obviously not emulate any modern devices. Sucks, but one should have bought the iPod if one wanted the capabilities of that product.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that the DS was released way before the iPhone/iPodTouch. And frankly, I can hardly play any games on my iPhone because the lack of physical buttons bothers me too much. Only games specifically designed for touchscreens are playable.

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
You are right about that DanTheManMS. It was released way before, but i still think users were ripped off, at least when the DSi came and now with the 3DS too. But you are right, some might have problems with the touchscreen, i have very small hands myself so i didn't think of that. Physical buttons should not be that expensive though.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Power of the hardware isn't as important in a gaming machine as what is done with it. An example is the popularity of the PS2 compared to other main systems last gen, despite being the weakest of the three. While I'm sure the i systems have some decent games for them at this point, I'd prefer the library available to me on the DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended