Iphone 3g 16gb restriction passcode.

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My cousin recently gav me a Jailbroken-Iphone 3g 16gb (white rear). He had a restriction passcode set on it but he forgot what it was. Being an Ipod newbie that I am, I have a few questions regarding the Iphone.

1. If I decide to reset all data to reset the restriction passcode, do I lose my jailbroken Iphone as well? In order words, do I have to jailbreak it again after I reset?
2. When I reset, does Itunes force an update on my iphone?
3. What does restriction passcode do for an iphone? I see two options. Passcode Lock and Restriction Passcode. What's the difference? I'm assuming Passcode Lock is where a password must be enabled when its in sleep mode or something and Resitrction Passcode is for apps that are restricted and must have a passcode in order to access it.
4. Is there an app that can reset it?

I don't really care about losing all the pictures, apps, data, etc on the Iphone because it wasn't mine to start off with. I rather start from the beginning and make it mine by installing apps and such that I like. I don't mind going through the process of jailbreaking it too because I can learn from the experience.. but I'm worried if I do reset my Iphone, Itunes will force an update on my Iphone - which I don't want if I want to jailbreak it.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anakir said:
My cousin recently gav me a Jailbroken-Iphone 3g 16gb (white rear). He had a restriction passcode set on it but he forgot what it was. Being an Ipod newbie that I am, I have a few questions regarding the Iphone.

1. If I decide to reset all data to reset the restriction passcode, do I lose my jailbroken Iphone as well? In order words, do I have to jailbreak it again after I reset?
2. When I reset, does Itunes force an update on my iphone?
3. What does restriction passcode do for an iphone? I see two options. Passcode Lock and Restriction Passcode. What's the difference? I'm assuming Passcode Lock is where a password must be enabled when its in sleep mode or something and Resitrction Passcode is for apps that are restricted and must have a passcode in order to access it.
4. Is there an app that can reset it?

I don't really care about losing all the pictures, apps, data, etc on the Iphone because it wasn't mine to start off with. I rather start from the beginning and make it mine by installing apps and such that I like. I don't mind going through the process of jailbreaking it too because I can learn from the experience.. but I'm worried if I do reset my Iphone, Itunes will force an update on my Iphone - which I don't want if I want to jailbreak it.
1. You will lose the JailBreak, but it's easy to do it again.
2. No. Be careful that you don't update it yourself. I'd download the firmware from somewhere else to be safe (Google for it).
3. Passcode lock is for turning it on. Passcode restricition is for changing stuff I think.
4. I don't think so, just restore it. You'll save time.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
1. Yes, you'll lose it, but using Spirit you can jailbreak any current firmware untethered.
2. Feel free to update through Apple. It's not gonna brick your iPhone.
Other two: restoring your iPhone will get rid of the passcode.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's perfect. I'll be resetting my Iphone as soon as I find a firmware backup or something. Thanks a lot for answering so quickly.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Itunes and sync'd my device with the program. When I click Restore (I'm assuming that's what I do to reset my Iphone) I chose not to backup and the next button to click was "Restore and Update".. I thought Itunes won't force an update?

Edit: I just went ahead and clicked it out of curiosity. I won't be able to Restore without going through the update. Is there a way to bypass the update?

I'm using the latest Itunes if that matters.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
I installed Itunes and sync'd my device with the program. When I click Restore (I'm assuming that's what I do to reset my Iphone) I chose not to backup and the next button to click was "Restore and Update".. I thought Itunes won't force an update?

Edit: I just went ahead and clicked it out of curiosity. I won't be able to Restore without going through the update. Is there a way to bypass the update?

I'm using the latest Itunes if that matters.
If you hold Option/Alt when you click "Update" it will bring up a file dialog where you can select your own firmware file to restore (.ipsw extention).

They're easily found via Google.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Urza. That helped out. By the way, its Shift key for Microsoft users. I was wondering why Alt didn't work until I googled it up. Thanks again.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:
Watch it with the links, Apple firmware is kinda a unknown when it comes to downloading (that might be seen as ROMs, even that it's off the Apple server). I'm not sure myself, so I just never link to them. Maybe a admin could clear things up?
They're freely distributable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up