raztheraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so here is the situation,

a few weeks ago, the dvd drive on my wii broke. Seeing that I didn't use the disc drive in the first place for much, it wasnt that big of a deal. My friend suggested creating a slimmer wii WITHOUT the disc drive in it. Over the last few weeks, my friend has been working on it and finally today (my birthday
smile.gif
) he presented to me a slimmer wii.

Needless to say it looks amazing and it gets the job done. But there is only one problem...

I cant run any usb games. Obviously, the presence of the disc drive is somewhat necessary for ios 249 to work. But is there any way to get my games to run on my new slim wii?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You may want to acquire a Disc Drive. If you`re not worried about playing Back up, then you should get a D3-2 they`re QUITE cheap on ebay and mount it on your current slim wii.

Otherwise you`ll have a lot of troubles trying to boot up games. I heard before there´s a older system menu which doesn´t verify the existence of a Disk Drive Unit..

raztheraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i appreciate the reply,

do you know where i can get more information on this system menu and possibly where i can get more info on the ioses (specifically 249)?

I also forgot to mention im trying to run my usb games of of cfg usb loader if that changes anything

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, if you have bootmii as boot2 then you could try downgradin to the lowest possible sytem menu (use dop-moi if you just want to downgrade the system menu and the 1 IOS that system menu requires, as opposed to installing a bunch of old IOSs) and see if that works, then go up in system menus untill you find the highest one you can use without a disk drive. DO NOT DOWNGRADE IF YOU DON'T HAVE PROPER BRICK PROTECTION, OR IF THE WII WAS BOUGHT WITH 4.0 OR HIGHER PREINSTALLED.

I haven't ever heard of said menu, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Also, if I remember correctly (and I may be wrong) SNEEK/UNEEK+DI works without a disk drive.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember vaguely, and might be totally misremembering for that matter, reading in a similar previous post that normal cIOS required access to some of the logic in the DVD drive's system board. If so, you may want to inquire if you can assemble a functional USB Loading Wii using just the Wii's DVD drive's board, and not the rest of the drive components.....

EDIT: Yes, I did a quick search and found that old thread here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=208...;p=2592394& So for USB Loading, you can do away with the bulk of the DVD drive, just as long as you still have a functional drive board connected.

-[]D

raztheraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much!!!!

The only problem with putting back in the board is that we used the port to power an EL wire (to make it more aesthetically pleasing). However, if no other ideas work that would definitely be useful.

As for the system menu im at 4.2 but my wii was at 3.1 when i purchased it, so hopefully this system menu may be accessible.

But just another question, is there any possibly of a cios with the properties of 249 that skips the check?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
person66 said:
Also, if I remember correctly (and I may be wrong) SNEEK/UNEEK+DI works without a disk drive.

I can confirm this.

BTW, this is obviously not a problem of the System Menu. When the USB Loaders or any other type of application/channel is loaded on the console, the System Menu itself is not present nor being executed at the same time. It is definitely the fault of the cIOS, and I don't think this fact alone can be changed.

Just stick with SNEEK+DI (like me), or buy a new drive (which I'm still waiting for).

raztheraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll take some pictures of it when i get the chance to.

Btw, is SNEEK+DI any slower than the regular wii nand? and also can i still use cheats?

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow, not really what I expected, but it probably looks really cool in the dark.

Also, if you're still wondering, I find SNEEK seems slightly slower than my actual NAND (but only in the wii menu) however I don't really notice much slowdown with UNEEK. But I guess it really depends on the speed of your SD/USB device.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Not what I expected either.
Cool concept but I don't think clear is the best way to show that off. It just looks like something electronic if you don't know wii's well and isn't noticable that its a slim wii whereas in white for example, you'd notice the size difference instantly.
Nice effort though mate

artanis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it a lot! Your friend did a good job with the case, though I think I would prefer it solid black or white.

x_r3ap3r_x

Trophies
XP
You dont need the power cable (white cables) to the drive board just the ribbon cable (flat brown one) I can confirm this as i have done a slim Wii myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo