Introducing NINJHAX - A Nintendo 3DS Homebrew Exploit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperg

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamersvlog.com
XP
Country
United States
This got me wondering how many Cubic Ninjas I have laying around from the Big Lots sale a while back. Personally don't think it be wise to release exploit prematurely.

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This makes me a horrible person, but I kinda want to start a rumor that the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop has thousands of copies of CN for, like, $5 -- with reservation available with a telephone call.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This makes me a horrible person, but I kinda want to start a rumor that the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop has thousands of copies of CN for, like, $5 -- with reservation available with a telephone call.

Is this the pawn shop on the tv show? that would be awesome to see hundred of people trying to bypass their guardians :rofl2:
The boss ask "why", his employees respond "They all want Cubic Ninja, but we are out of stock. They are all angry now!"

Reactions: air2004

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this the pawn shop on the tv show? that would be awesome to see hundred of people trying to bypass their guardians :rofl2:
The boss ask "why", his employees respond "They all want Cubic Ninja, but we are out of stock. They are all angry now!"

Yup.

"Hey, uh, do you guys have Cubi-"
"FUCK YOU KID, "BATTLETOADS" WASN'T FUNNY, AND "CUBIC NINJA" ISN'T FUNNY. If you or any of your little punkass buddies call again, I'm calling the police."

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a few questions

1. Is it possible in the foreseeable future that another compatible game will be made to install homebrew or even no games at all needed?

2. How possible is it for Nintendo to patch this out for good and would there be any repercussions to the end user?

3. Is there any cheat support or region free bypassing shown far shown? Thats all I pretty much care about.

magicrat

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Here's something to start the FAQ off. This on the front of this thread would help a lot of questions being asked :)

1.) When will the Homebrew Launcher be released​
A.) 22nd Novemeber 2014​
2.) Can I play Roms, CIA files etc with the Homebrew Launcher?​
A.) No​
3.) Does this make my 3DS Region Free?​
A.) No​
4.) Do I need the game in my 3DS every time I want to use the Homebrew Launcher?​
5.) What firmware does my 3DS need to be?​
A.) Anywhere from 4.0 to 9.2​
6.) Can I use the games Rom with my Gatweay/Sky3DS card to install the Homebrew Launcher?​
A.) Yes​
7.) Will there be other games in the future that will allow the Homebrew Launcher to be installed?​
A.) Possibly. The game must save to the 3DS SD CARD and must not be an encrypted save. 6.x firmware games started encrypting their saves on the SD Card I believe. So games made supporting pre 6.0 firmware that save a file to the SD CARD (like custom levels etc) may be able to be used.​
8.) Will Nintendo Patch this game or just patch the firmware?​
A.) Nintendo can't really change the RETAIL version of the game so any firmware after 9.2 will most likely have this hole plugged up tight. Don't upgrade your Firmware.​
9.) What game do I need?​
A.) Cubic Ninja (RETAIL or JAP Eshop)​

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I got a few questions

1. Is it possible in the foreseeable future that another compatible game will be made to install homebrew or even no games at all needed?

2. How possible is it for Nintendo to patch this out for good and would there be any repercussions to the end user?

3. Is there any cheat support or region free bypassing shown far shown? Thats all I pretty much care about.

No one knows about the first one, but the chances are high since we have this as a base to work off of. The amount of games with access like this is slim, however.

Nintendo will most definitely patch this with a firmware update.

No.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean obviously Nintendo isnt gonna stand for this and do whatever it takes to patch this but what I mean is since they dont own the source code to the game could they patch out the homebrew FOR GOOD as in never possible ever for higher firmwares. Just to clarify.

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I mean obviously Nintendo isnt gonna stand for this and do whatever it takes to patch this but what I mean is since they dont own the source code to the game could they patch out the homebrew FOR GOOD as in never possible ever for higher firmwares. Just to clarify.

The exploit being used with the game now will be patched out for good in a future update since it relies on communication between the game and the firmware on the 3DS (and the access it grants) and not just one. There are probably other exploits to be found and executed in higher firmwares, however.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to personally thank the greedy bastard that drove around Las Vegas today buying every available copy. I had a copy reserved at a Gamestop but apparently either an employee or a friend of an employee was more important than an actual customer, so they sold it to them. I was not worried about it because I had it on hold, so like a responsible adult, I went to work. When I called to let them know I was on my way to pick it up they informed me that they had sold it to someone else. I was told by another employee that someone was going to all of their stores and buying every copy available. This is a perfect example of one of the biggest problems in this world today. Greedy asshole people that only care about themselves. I have a family to support and cannot afford to spend the kind of money on this game that idiots are now asking for it everywhere. Once again, thanks JERK, whoever you may be. May a bird of paradise fly up your nose!

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first ACTUAL newsworthy article about Jordan "Smealum" Rabet on Polygon. Our little boy is growing up so fast:cry:.

Also fun fact: The Cubic Ninja wiki was 2 sentences long 12 hours ago. It's now a full blown page with reviews and homebrew info.

Reactions: VinsCool

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Huh, an interesting tidbit there is that it requires an internet connection to work. As in, not optional like I had once thought.

Kiiro_Yakumo

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
That's another interesting question.
Hmm...to be honest I'm not sure of it but I would not deny the possibility...with some extra coding I believe it should be "doable".
We have to have proper access to RAM memory, with that, doors are open wide.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, for those of you who are interested! Tomorrow - I'll go in to the first page later and add an FAQ of sorts. I'm just very very bogged down with three midterm examinations and covering a bunch of shifts for a sick coworker - I haven't really slept in over 36 hours. I'm jittery and drank too many energy drinks, so give me a bit of slack! I have a life too you know! :P So, apologies for the lack of overall responses. If I do forget (I won't be surprised if I do actually...) just tag me in a post (@MyUserName) and remind me, and I'll get on it when I get the chance. :)

Meanwhile, the most important things I can answer here:

• Do not sell your game. You will need it to actually access the Homebrew Channel. You run and install the exploit, and it attaches to the save file of Cubic Ninja.
  • This exploit will also not run 3DS ROMs or backups. The way this exploit was explained to me was that the developers of Cubic Ninja were trying to essentially prevent a backdoor to exploit their code, but in the process of working on that backdoor they opened up a bigger vulnerability, which made this exploit all the more possible. There is a ton more information on smealum's dev blog that goes into the exploit details. In return for the backdoor, unauthorized code is allowed to run in arm11 but it won't be enough to break the system completely down to let people do what they want, ie piracy. Looking at the current 4.5 version exploit for flash chips, you have two different exploits, an MSET DS User Profile exploit, providing Arm11 usermode capabilities, and a firmware vulnerability that allows arm9 code execution. The higher firmwares patched the later portion, but the exploit here swaps the firmware exploit with the ability to run arbitrary code, which in turn runs code but can't go much further than that. So this means that while smealum owns the exploit, he is absolutely not going to dabble in modifying it so that piracy can run rampant, but once the exploit goes live, there is no way to predict the course of events that will follow.
  • In terms of this exploit being patched, it's more than certain that it will, and the timeframe as to when is up in the air. I'm no walking crystal ball. :(
  • Will different games allow the running of the exploit? It is possible but it will take time to discover which games can do this. Again, I don't have that information as to what other titles can run this kind of exploit.
  • What is possible with this exploit? This answer is basically a lot of theory. A lot of things are possible. Region locking is theoretically possible but it just hasn't been worked on yet. Emulation is possible. Custom apps. Things like that. There's no real crystal ball to answer what is truly capable because not a ton of people have the exploit in their hands. ;)
  • For those that think the first post is missing stuff, yeah, it kind of is. There was information I was explicitly requested not to discuss until the release date, which is coming up in four days. So if it seems like I'm being dodgy, it's not to ignore you guys or anything like that. There will be more information soon.

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks Ryukouki for the update...I just got my copy of CN in the mail today and started playing around with it....I have to say I had a blast playing it (and that was without the ssspwn exploit), unlike how some people were saying the game was lousy.

Reactions: VinsCool
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: