Internet To Run Out Of IP Addresses, Possibly this Year!!

Dead End

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technolog...tml?autostart=1
Says it all there

What does it mean for site like this??
Banned members could accidentally be unbanned (untill re banned)

We Might End Up Sharing An IP With Other People And That Will Cause Programs To Not Work Properly, You May Get Banned From Sites Because Someone Else Couldn't Obey Rules.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Saw this in CNN, old news
smile.gif
but yeah haha

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
pretty big plans to move to IPv6 but trillions of ip addresses is what we need. We are running out, wonder how much extra our ISP's will charge us, not to mention we might have to buy new computers and Iphones and DS's etc.

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gifi4 said:
pretty big plans to move to IPv6 but trillions of ip addresses is what we need. We are running out, wonder how much extra our ISP's will charge us, not to mention we might have to buy new computers and Iphones and DS's etc.

For devices like your PC or DS, your modem or router ought to be able to translate an IPv6 address to whatever kind of local address your device needs. I'm not certain, though. And I don't know about your iPhones.

Dead End

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
liquidnumb said:
jan777 said:
mercluke said:
THE SKY IS FALLING, EVERYBODY GET IN MY CAVE

Is it big enough for all of us?
smileipb2.png

At present it can hold about 2 billion people. CAVEv6 can support trillions, but nobody's made the necessary upgrades.

Win! lol

I hope we dont have to buy new PC's I havnt even gotten my laptop yet
frown.gif

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dead End said:
I hope we dont have to buy new PC's I havnt even gotten my laptop yet
frown.gif

Since the signal travels over the same wires, I think the worst you'll have to do for a PC is update your drivers. If the hardware manufacturer won't support that and there aren't any generics, then you might need a USB dongle or something. That's all assuming the IPv6 modem/router you're probably leasing from your cableco can't translate your network traffic for you. I doubt anyone will need a whole new system.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
For anyone who needs it:
swine-flu-panic-button.jpg

And we've only just seen IPv4 this year
cry.gif

We'll learn about IPv6 next year though.
...Wait, what? v4 has been around since the 80's, and I don't know the specifics about v6 but the protocol has been around a while... Windows XP even supported IPv6
mellow.gif

liquidnumb said:
QUOTE(Dead End @ Jul 26 2010, 02:55 AM) I hope we dont have to buy new PC's I havnt even gotten my laptop yet
frown.gif

Since the signal travels over the same wires, I think the worst you'll have to do for a PC is update your drivers. If the hardware manufacturer won't support that and there aren't any generics, then you might need a USB dongle or something. That's all assuming the IPv6 modem/router you're probably leasing from your cableco can't translate your network traffic for you. I doubt anyone will need a whole new system.

Ya there really will be no problem on the user's end. The problem lies with whether internet providers will adopt ipv6. Pretty much all computers have the capability to handle ipv6, no new drivers will even be necessary. ISP's will eventually HAVE to come up with a solution. I really don't believe a scenario in which ISP's will be giving out shared IP's, nobody would purchase their internet... I mean this really isn't a new problem at all, people have known IPv4's limits for decades...

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dmonkey21 said:
tj_cool said:
And we've only just seen IPv4 this year
cry.gif

We'll learn about IPv6 next year though.
...Wait, what? v4 has been around since the 80's, and I don't know the specifics about v6 but the protocol has been around a while... Windows XP even supported IPv6
mellow.gif
What does that have to do with my education?
I just said we learned about it in class this year
mellow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@