Internet and High CPU Usage

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't quite find an answer to this, but the internet on my laptop is running pretty slow. I noticed that the cpu was running at 100% and the internet, whether firefox or chrome, was responsible for a large part of that. my gpu's drivers are up-to-date. also, I tried some of the troubleshooting tips for firefox until I realized chrome was doing the same thing. does anyone have any suggestions? the laptop is only a few months old.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I chose a low to mid range laptop since I couldn't afford anything above $700. is there a way to check if I have that miner on my pc?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would suggest you find the source reason for it, via classical trial and error. I mean, just change possible factors and see how it affects the performance. It could be many things.

Not so long ago I had a similar behavior to what you describe, and it ended up being a faulty hard drive that was reading and writing slowly due to automatic error correction and sector remapping, and it made Chrome and Internet go slow as fuck, probably because of cache and swapping (no idea, but the cause was the hard drive).

Reactions: godreborn

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Most probably either a coinhive miner (or something similar) or a leakage... Try to see if it's the first thing, if it's not, then consider doing a format (because fixing CPU leakages is an enormous pain and format solves them about 20 times faster). For the miner, just use an advanced Anti-Virus (eg: AVG Pro).

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Reboot and see if the problem comes back.

If so run mcafee or malwarebytes.

If neither find anything you could reformat your system.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have panda av - would that work? I haven't run it in a while.

Never heard of it. Make sure it is up to date and let it run.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the slowdown effect anything else? Like, when playing MP3 does it skip in the music?

I've not noticed it affecting anything else. I'm not sure if having six hdds plugged into the computer would affect it. I wouldn't have so many if not for backups.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8GBs ram, 1TB hdd, Dell laptop, windows 10

I would think that something as basic as surfing the internet wouldn't be affected like this.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8GBs ram, 1TB hdd, Dell laptop, windows 10

I would think that something as basic as surfing the internet wouldn't be affected like this.
Is it a i5 or i7 dual core or quad core cpu? Or one of those amd apu systems? You can check that by opening task manager. If it's a dual core with out hyper threading, chrome will use up both cores pretty fast.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You can also consider uninstalling your browsers and reinstalling them. Also check for extensions/plugins you don’t recognise.

Also it’d help if you knew exactly which processes was using up most of your CPU (using Performance Monitor).

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can also consider uninstalling your browsers and reinstalling them. Also check for extensions/plugins you don’t recognise.

Also it’d help if you knew exactly which processes was using up most of your CPU (using Performance Monitor).
Not that you mention it, it could just be a faulty shared plugin or extension... Uninstalling everything and reinstalling should fix it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit