Internal N3DS MSD, 32GB or 64GB?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by d0k3, May 19, 2015.

?

What size of MSD would you choose as internal N3DS card?

1. 32GB or below, as larger cards have issues

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 64GB or above, works without a problem

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    I currently have the choice of two MSD cards, 32GB and 64GB, to use as internal card in my N3DS (FW 9.0.0). The price difference is not an issue and in theory both cards shoudl be equally good / fast.

I prefer having more memory to spare, of course. However, Nintendo recommends using MSDs no larger than 32GB. Also, every now and than someone complains about trouble with cards sized 64GB and above (this just being an example). The issues people have with 64GB (and above) card may be due to reasons other than the cards size (stuff went wrong when migrating from a smaller card, too much stuff installed, ....), but still there might be some issues specific to using cards larger than 32GB.

So, any longterm 64GB card users here? Or even anyone having experience with both, 32GB and 64GB? What would you recommend to choose?

2. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Aw, come on, just one lazy click on the poll and no replies! I know everyone is obsessing about PastaCFW right now, but this should be relevant even to you new PastaCFW users (or where do you want to store all that stuff that you can install now?).

Maybe some info to get a start? People on GameFAQS say that there's no trouble with 64GB cards at all.

There's even an interesting tidbit of information on Wikipedia:
    So, there you got it. Cards over 32GB in size come with exFAT by default because of the SD card association. exFAT is proprietary (owned by Microsoft), Nintendo doesn't want to pay the license fee and suspects their users not to be able to properly format the SD cards before using in a 3DS (they might be right, at least in part).

This may or may not the (only?) reason why cards 64GB or above in size are not supported.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That depends. Do you play mostly physical games? Do you have a flashcart?
    If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then 16GB is plenty. Otherwise get the biggest card you can.

d0k3 likes this.
  4. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    I can definitely use that space, so the more the better. Price is also not an issue. The only real concern is wether there will be problems with cards above 32GB (as Nintendo doesn't recommend those and some users seem to have them).

5. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    I would post a reply but I haven't used a 64gb card, so I'm not going to post a reply. Hope that helps.

d0k3 likes this.
  6. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    The answer is, most likely there are no problems cards 64GB and above, apart from file access being a little slower the bigger your card is. That's what the majority of information on the web says, and people that say otherwise are very few and inbetween (which means their problems might be related to something else). Nintendo doesn't recommend cards sized 64GB and above, because they come with exFAT and Nintendo deems proper formating to FAT32 too difficult for their user base. The speed problem can be remedied by using larger cluster sizes (32kb being the default).

This video nicely demonstrates the 32kB cluster speed problem:

This thread on NeoGAF is also helpful: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885462

7. Ichii Giki

Ichii Giki GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    I have been using a 64GB MicroSD in my N3DS for a while now with no issues. I have been installing some BIG CIAs made from my carts (including Xenoblade 3D, 3.6GBs!), and there were no problems. The main problem I heard about large MicroSD cards was specifically with themes not loading properly on 128GB cards, but nothing specifically with 64GB cards, so it should be fine.

d0k3 likes this.
  8. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    I use a mSD 64GB card in mine as well (see my siggy for full set-up). I've had 0 issues using it. I think the largest game I have on there is MH4U. I have Xeno on my Gateway mSD (which is a 32GB). I got the 64GB since I would mainly install games as .cia (except for the occasional large, non-online game. Hence, Xenoblade) and so I wouldn't have to rely on Gateway to play any games (As long as I'm in Gateway mode anyway).

I'd say go with the 64GB. Even if ya don't use all of the space, you'll probably regret not getting it maybe. That's just me anyway. I like to be prepared if I know I'm going to have a console for a good while. Never hurts to have extra memory for future games!

Ichii Giki and d0k3 like this.