Hacking Internal Hard Drive for Wii mod

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOS37 said:
Remove the board from the DVD drive and keep it in and plugged into the wii.
That should make the wii still think it has a DVD drive.

That's wasted space..haha and I'd like to use my Wii drive for something on the side. It's kinda pointless without a board.

QUOTE said:
I'm not sure why you would want this since it's been noted that some games (MP3 for example) still need a disc to be in the drive.

Which is why I wanted to request a patch..

you could get a .usb stick and do it.
that way you don't need to remove the dvd drive.

USB sticks don't go up to 500gb
wink.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Raise the hight of the Wii, add the disc together with the IDE/Sata --> USB module and any fans or connections you would want (you want at least USB somewhere on the outside to put stuff on there), power could I suppose be drawn from inside. That way you have everything still in your Wii, it only is about a cm higher.
QUOTE said:
That's wasted space..haha and I'd like to use my Wii drive for something on the side. It's kinda pointless without a board.
Not if you route the connections required by the drive board to the outside of the Wii, where you make a modular system for the other drive components. That way you can retain normal drive function, swap it round easily if the laser fails and detach the drive when it isn't needed.

Another option would of course be to get the thinnest drive you can find, an SSD perhaps? Those, with the casing removed, are quite thin and thus might even fit if you remove the shielding around the drive. Added advantage is that with limited writes to the disc it should hold out fine. Also heat production is kept to a minimum.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei said:
Raise the hight of the Wii, add the disc together with the IDE/Sata --> USB module and any fans or connections you would want (you want at least USB somewhere on the outside to put stuff on there), power could I suppose be drawn from inside. That way you have everything still in your Wii, it only is about a cm higher.
QUOTE said:
Not if you route the connections required by the drive board to the outside of the Wii, where you make a modular system for the other drive components. That way you can retain normal drive function, swap it round easily if the laser fails and detach the drive when it isn't needed.

Another option would of course be to get the thinnest drive you can find, an SSD perhaps? Those, with the casing removed, are quite thin and thus might even fit if you remove the shielding around the drive. Added advantage is that with limited writes to the disc it should hold out fine. Also heat production is kept to a minimum.

Well, I don't really want to mount anything on the outside or modify the case very much. Sculpting additional plastic doesn't appeal to me, haha.

Does the Wii boot to System Menu with the drive disconnected or not?

Yes, it'll boot system menu.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Then we're done here. There is limited space inside the casing, the loader requires the drive to be in there. Unless you either modify the case, mount something as a module, remove the drive components apart from the board or add an SSD without casing, there is no way around this unless the app / IOS / whichever needs the drive is rewritten.

Well there is one thing I can think of, but it could be pretty hard / a pretty bad idea. You could bend the heatsink down (like ben-heck I think, with the Wii laptop), remove the fan guard, and add the HD (or a smaller one, as 2.5" might be too big) there. That would probably require a close watch on temps though, and most likely some more fans
smile.gif

IOS37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darkzero51521 said:

then buy a drive that doesn't read disks and use that board.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei said:
Then we're done here. There is limited space inside the casing, the loader requires the drive to be in there. Unless you either modify the case, mount something as a module, remove the drive components apart from the board or add an SSD without casing, there is no way around this unless the app / IOS / whichever needs the drive is rewritten.

Well there is one thing I can think of, but it could be pretty hard / a pretty bad idea. You could bend the heatsink down (like ben-hack I think, with the Wii laptop), remove the fan guard, and add the HD (or a smaller one, as 2.5" might be too big) there. That would probably require a close watch on temps though, and most likely some more fans
smile.gif

Well, once again, this is why i'm requesting Wanin to add support. I simply want to remove the DVD drive and replace it with a hard drive and hopefully a fan.

Hahah.. and bending the heatsink would be prettty bad, i think i'll avoid that route.
tongue.gif

I think i'm going to do my best to talk to Waninkoko about it, and report back.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Darkzero51521 said:

So your only problem is heat. Actually, there are two separate heat issues.

1) Heat to the Wii internals. The hard drive likely runs hotter than the DVD drive, so your CPU & GPU might get uncomfortable.
2) Heat to the drive. The Wii casing wasn't built to accomodate a real hard drive, and that might hurt the drive.

As for the loader, there will be be many updated versions, and the issues will get ironed out eventually.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
Darkzero51521 said:

So your only problem is heat. Actually, there are two separate heat issues.

1) Heat to the Wii internals. The hard drive likely runs hotter than the DVD drive, so your CPU & GPU might get uncomfortable.
2) Heat to the drive. The Wii casing wasn't built to accomodate a real hard drive, and that might hurt the drive.

As for the loader, there will be be many updated versions, and the issues will get ironed out eventually.

lol you must've read wrong. It boots the Wii system menu, but games on ISO loader won't load without the DVD drive. I'm talking about the system by itself, with no DVD Drive, and just a flash drive plugged in.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
No, you read my post wrong. The issue with games launched from USB Loader asking for the DVD drive is a loader issue that can be easily addressed. YOUR only problem is heat.

mugel0190

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think, I will wait a few months and then go for a Mini PCIe SSD with 128GB When prices dropped a little more. It doesn't get too hot and will fit in besides the DVD drive. Since the Runcore SSDs have a mini USB Plug it will be easy as hell to install such a device. And 128GB are more than enough for all of the games I will ever play on my Wii... This way I will still have the option to use my DVD drive...
smile.gif
Just for the price of about 3 Wii Games...

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
No, you read my post wrong. The issue with games launched from USB Loader asking for the DVD drive is a loader issue that can be easily addressed. YOUR only problem is heat.

..No..

My only problem is that USB Loader won't work without a DVD Drive, give's you a code dump. Heat is not an issue, and if it becomes one, I can easily address that.

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree. There are several different arguments happening here. One person wants to remove the DVD drive and use the free space for a HDD and USB loader won't work with the DVD disconnected. The other person keeps complaining that removing the DVD for an HDD will cause heat issues.

While I believe that heat issues are a concern- they can be dealt with. If heat is a problem, heatsinks or fans could be installed. I think going HDD only is a nice idea. I repaired many original Xbox consoles and gave them away to friends without a DVD drive, just a modded bios and a larger HDD.

Myself, I've been thinking of making an internal USB port and plugging in a 16GB Flash drive inside the system. (There are only a handful of games I'd play anyway).

I recently moved and my Wii isn't connected, so I haven't played with the USB loader; however, I'd like to attempt to remove the updates and unneeded data from the Wii discs or possibly downsize/remove some of the movies (i.e. SSBB DVD5) to make the games use less space. This would be more ideal for users who are using flash drives with limited space (I'm tossing out the idea here in hopes someone tries it).

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think we are communicating here. The loader is obviously not perfect. It will improve. If you focus on the hardware part, by the time you're finished, the unplugged DVD drive issue will be resolved as well. You're not the only one who wants to get this mod done.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your idea isn't crazy, in fact, I've nearly done it myself.

I took a 2.5" HDD, and the little controller board from an external 2.5" enclosure. That enclosure came with a USB Y cable. I plugged both ends of that cable into the Wii USB ports, and hooked up the HDD inside the Wii. It appears to power on and work just fine. Ideally some sort of mount would be necessary to mount it in the cavity where the DVD was, so that it would sort of be in the middle (does that make sense) allowing for the minimal heat generated by the 2.5" drive to dissipate. I don't see it as a problem, as without the DVD, there is plenty of breathing room for the drive. If there were a way to get power running to two drives, it would be entirely possible to mount 2x 2.5" hard drives inside.

The advantage (at least for me) to using the connector for an external enclosure is that all you need to do is unplug the usb connectors from the Wii USB ports, and connect them up to your PC (using an extension cable if necessary) to have direct access to the drive without removing it. However, there needs to be a driver that can read/write to wbfs first.

The only problem is that the DVD still needs to be connected for the ISO loader to run. There needs to be another way to rip/transfer discs to the wbfs format, as I mentioned above. Aside from that, this is a super easy modification to the Wii, and I'm sure many people will do it once the ISO loader has more features.

---Edit below this line-----

It would also be possible to use a SATA > SDHC/SD/CompactFlash/whatever adapter with the same little board from an external enclosure to provide an easy method to power it. There are so many cool solutions we could come up with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?