Gaming Intel Core ix Processors...

dn_angel000

Phantom User
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The i2 processor is pretty new it came out right around the i3 was released!

EDIT: Ya I wasn't sure which was faster! Thanx 4 the quick reply!

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i7 is the fastest obviously. And the i2 isn't new, it just doesn't exist.
wink.gif

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dn_angel000 said:
lol U really need 2 take a look at a Best Buy ad or check out their site! lol
lol U really need 2 type proprly U hav a full keybrd.

Find me a link to a Core i2 processor, and I'll send you $100.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dn_angel000 said:
The i2 processor is pretty new it came out right around the i3 was released!

Your probably thinking of the Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad... Some Core 2 Duo logo is quite similar to the i3/5/7 series.

DDR3 ram is quite expensive...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Core 2 Duo/Quad/Extreme all use SKT775 and dual channel memory.

Core i3 and i5 use SKT1156 and also uses dual channel memory. i3 is equivolent to Core 2 Duo and i5 is equivolent to Core 2 Quad. You can still get Core 2 Duos faster than most of the Core i series, but the new architecture means it's able to handle instructions more efficiently which makes it more suitable to modern computing (especially as more programs/games are being coded to use multi-threading, which is something the Core i series excells at with hyper-threading). Just an example, some of the Core i7s are only ~1.7Ghz, but since they have 4+4 cores, they work very well with multi-threaded applications.

Core i7 use SKT1366 and triple channel memory (it's mostly the memory and adapted motherboards that make it so expensive). At the top end of the Core i scale is the Core i7 980X, which has 6+6 cores at 3.3Ghz. With a high base clock and so many cores, that thing is a monster in the CPU world, not to mention how high you can get it from overclocking.

Btw, DDR3 RAM isn't so expensive, just appropriately scaled in price compared to DDR2. It has double the data lines of DDR2, so is roughly double the price. Bit less now that it's been out for so long. Also, about the "nVidia DDR3-5"... DDR4/5 doesn't exist yet. Modern cards use GDDR5, which is based on DDR3. See the Wiki for more information.

Finally, about the "Core i2"... if I remember (and this was some time ago), Core i2 was a misinformed rumour regarding the new Pentium series based on Nehalem, G9xxx, P6xxx and U5xxx. Designed for low power systems such (i.e. CULV), they're essentially a mini-Core i3 (hence being labelled as "i2") with hyperthreading disabled and several of the Core i3 specs cut back (like the integrated APU being only 533Mhz). It is a mistake to call it "i2" - it's just the new Pentium series (although, if you ask me, Intel should've just called them i2 since it's based on i3).

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Originality said:
Core i3 and i5 use SKT1156 and also uses dual channel memory. i3 is equivolent to Core 2 Duo and i5 is equivolent to Core 2 Quad. You can still get Core 2 Duos faster than most of the Core i series, but the new architecture means it's able to handle instructions more efficiently which makes it more suitable to modern computing (especially as more programs/games are being coded to use multi-threading, which is something the Core i series excells at with hyper-threading). Just an example, some of the Core i7s are only ~1.7Ghz, but since they have 4+4 cores, they work very well with multi-threaded applications.
First of all, the 1156 socket supports Core i7s too, just not the same models that 1366 supports.

Second of all, calling the Core i3 equivalent to the C2D would hardly be true as the i3 features a built-in GPU and Hyperthreading (granted the GPU is shitty and Hyperthreading doesn't do too much in terms of performance, but it's still some kind of difference).

And finally - you can't call the Core i5 an equivalent of the C2Q as there's several differences. The first models of the Core i5 were indeed quad core CPUs and so are the Core 2 Quads, however the 4-core i5s contained 4 cores on a single chip while the Core 2 Quad basically contained two tightly connected Core 2 Duos on a single chip, in theory this should mean that the i5 performs better since it does not feature the choke point which the Core 2 Quad contained but as to whether there's a big difference in performance that I do not know. The newer dual core i5s however features an integrated GPU and Hyperthreading similar to the Core i3 series.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
When I spoke of equivolency, I was referring to Intel's marketting campaign. Core 2 Duo/Quad/Extreme was a relatively easy hierarchy to follow in its years, yet with the Core i series, it's anything but straightforward. They advertise i3 as dual-core, i5 as quad core and i7 as both quad- and extreme-core processors (even though it's inaccurate) because that's what the average consumer in a computer shop like PCWorld knows. If they started trying to say that Core i7-8xx is SKT1156 along with the i3 and i5 series but Core i7-9xx is SKT1366, the average consumer would certainly start becoming confused and probably go for AMD which is cheaper and easier to understand.

On a side note, I didn't know Core 2 Quad was simply 2 C2D squeezed on a single chip. I always wondered why my E8400 did better in games than my brother's Q9550. Aside from the small difference in base speeds, I guess that explains it.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
The fastest Core i* (Core processors being the consumer grade ones) processor is the i7 980x, soon to be replaced by the 990x.

The fastest Intel processor is the Xeon X5680 (debatable of course, 6 high clocked cores or 8 medium clocked cores) which is basically a higher binned (better overclocking at lower voltages and temperatures) (Xeon being industrial server grade) version of the 980x with dual QPIs (allows for 2 CPUs on one board)

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
ultimatex said:
and if you combine it with 4-8gb ddr3 main, nvidia ddr3-5 w/ 1gb+memory, you have now a monster PC.
And again, someone doesn't know what the fuck he/she/it is talking about.

That's why I'm with AMD. I don't want a huge performance, I want something cheap that can do what I need without being too expensive.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Berthenk said:
ultimatex said:
and if you combine it with 4-8gb ddr3 main, nvidia ddr3-5 w/ 1gb+memory, you have now a monster PC.

That's why I'm with AMD. I don't want a huge performance, I want something cheap that can do what I need without being too expensive.
AMD is actually always a step behind Intel, in gaming: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-g...970,2698-7.html

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
raulpica said:
Berthenk said:
ultimatex said:

AMD is actually always a step behind Intel, in gaming: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-g...970,2698-7.html
Doesn't change the fact that Intel is more expensive.
wink.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Berthenk said:
raulpica said:
Berthenk said:
ultimatex said:

Doesn't change the fact that Intel is more expensive.
wink.gif

Well, yeah, it's obvious you have to pay more for a better product.
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol