opiv22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
410BpPsBSSL._AA280_.jpg

I got this item just recently and I think it's got the same problem as freeloaders and the new firmware. I'm running my US Wii chipped with a Wiikey and the most recent firmware. I have yet to confirm that this is in fact the case. Anyhow, I was curious as to whether it's possible to get this working, as of now when plugged in it gives me the whole black screen w/white text telling me to eject game and restart console. It's a long shot, but I figured this would be the first place to ask. If anybody has any info or experience please let me know. Thanks in advance
smile.gif

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Amazon.com review said:
The only way to play GBA games on the Wii, October 30, 2006
By Alfred J. Williams (REAL NAME)Â
I have had both the Game Boy Player and the Advance Game Port for a long time.

The biggest fundamental difference between the Game Port and the official GB Player, is that the Game Port uses software emulation and the GB Player uses true hardware emulation.

The Game Port uploads the both the GBA ROM and the game's save data into the GameCube's memory and uses a ARM9 software emulator play the games. The frame rate appears a little bit choppy, and the audio pitch is slightly off; making it seem almost like the effect of playing an NTSC game on a PAL system - all GB games operate at 60Hz, and although playback seems a little bit sluggish (maybe 50 Hz?), this has the advantage of slowing down the game by about 16.7%, making overly fast-paced or challenging games slightly easier.

Somebody mentioned that their's had a biult-in cheating device as well, but I recall nothing of that nature in my version. A biult in feature to back up game savs (NOT ROMS!) to a GC memory card would also have been nice.

Nintendo's official Game Boy Player, on the other hand, uses official Nintendo hardware to run GBA games. The GB Player has built in to it, both an ARM7 and an ARM9 processor, making it able to play both GB classic, GB color, and GBA games.

Here are my Pros and Cons:

Pros:

Cheaper than a GB Player, esp that both are out of circulation, and the GB Player now is a collector's item!!!

This product will be the only full-screen GB option compatible with the Nintendo Wii (provided the Wii is fully 100% compatible with GameCube, not 98% or 95%), since it only uses the CD tray and the controller/memory card ports.

The slightly slower frame rate may make fast-paced games somewhat less challenging.

Cons:

Choppy framerate at times.

Audio Pitch is a little flat.

Due to the incompatible ROM structure/ processor archetecture, it will not work with Game Boy Classic or Game Boy Color games.

Overall, it is a nice accessory, but I have used it two or three times and my official GB Player dozens and dozens of times.

It will be interseting to find out how the Wii will respond to it.

Is that helpful?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
That review is of questionable value.

1. The facts are plainly wrong. The Nintendo GB Player Specs stated are just wrong.
2. Sounds like he's never tried it on a Wii. I know for a fact that they don't work on later gamecubes, so why would they work on the Wii
3. The Wii updates have blocked the disc header used anyway. Annoying, but can be got around.

To answer the OP's question, the easiest way to get it booting would be to dump the Disc that came with it (Use a SD Gecko/LG Drive/Vioper GC Extreme/method of choice) and make a GCOS'd version. That will boot it, but I doubt it would work anyway...

opiv22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hrm, ripping the disc and using gcos might be the best option. I left my Gecko adapter at home and won't be back for a month (I'm on vacation), if anybody has got the disc themselves and is willing to help me out, please pm me. Thanks for the input 8D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)