OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey,

Do any of the WAD managers out there support installing WADs inside of a zip file? I keep my WADs compressed on a USB drive, and it would be nice to be able to install them in one step rather then unzipping them and then installing. Thanks.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't know of any WAD managers that support ZIP archives, but you can use WiiXplorer to unzip the WADs temporarily and then use any WAD manager to install them. This will allow you to not have to use a PC as part of the process at least.

-[]D

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like PPSainity said, no WM supports zip archives. Use WiiXplorer to extract them if you don't want to use a PC.

My question is: why are you keeping them zipped anyway? Wad files don't even compress. You'd be lucky to save a few hundred kilobytes.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
Like PPSainity said, no WM supports zip archives. Use WiiXplorer to extract them if you don't want to use a PC.

My question is: why are you keeping them zipped anyway? Wad files don't even compress. You'd be lucky to save a few hundred kilobytes.
To ensure the wads do not become corrupt. They should always be zipped or rared, md5 is good to.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mauifrog said:
techboy said:

To ensure the wads do not become corrupt. They should always be zipped or rared, md5 is good to.
That's understandable for downloads...they won't extract if they're incomplete or damaged.

But is it really needed once the file is on the SD card? Not only is it unlikely that the file would go corrupt for no reason (granted it DOES sometimes happen), the wads also have features (e.g. content hashes) designed to help prevent bricks from corruption.

Last time I tried to install a hosed wad, the WM spit out an error because the hashes didn't match.

buvk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it would be nice to see a wad manager with zip support. kind of annoying having to extract a zip each time you want to install a wad.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
There is no point in keeping them zipped, that's why. WAD is already a compressed archive format.
Lazyness does not have limits apparently :-)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you are using Offline List to rename your wads, it's automatically zipped.
unsure.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
There is no point in keeping them zipped, that's why. WAD is already a compressed archive format.
Actually, WAD is not compressed at all, just encrypted. Some content inside might be compressed (LZ77 and ASH are common), but a lot of it often isn't.

If you unpack a title and zip the resulting folder of content, some titles compress quite well, and even better compression can be obtained with effort.

If someone made a WM that can install titles from a zip archive containing unpacked wad components (i.e. archive with a ticket, tmd, cert, and .app files inside), there could be a point to this. The zip could provide compression, convenience (no extracting), and brick protection (a CRC check on top of the TMD's SHA1 content hashes).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass