Installing WAD files on vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by bjaxx87, Dec 10, 2014.

1. bjaxx87
    OP

bjaxx87 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 17, 2011
    Germany
    Hi there!

Yesterday I received my Wii U and I'm going to softmod the vWii mode.

I already read a lot of guides and noticed a warning not to install ANY kind of WAD file that is meant for the normal Wii because it will cause a brick. They were referring to IOS/cIOS files as well as custom channels and forwarders.

Now I wonder, what about WiiWare and VC games? I still got a collection of games which I installed on my normal Wii back in the day. Are those incompatible with the vWii mode? Do I have to look for special vWii releases of WiiWare and VC games?

Thanks in advance for any help! ;)

2. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Puerto Rico
  3. anon3536

anon3536 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2012
    United States
    from what i was told, please note im not a professional in anyway, the only things that need to be converted before installing would be homebrew forwarders, i havent installed any channels to my vwii but i did install dlc and have not had any issues

4. bjaxx87
    OP

bjaxx87 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 17, 2011
    Germany
    I assume you are talking about this part? (There's an area which is "yellower" than this greenish one ;))

So I guess it's safe as long as it's a good dump? All of them worked on my regular Wii, so I should be good to go. :)

Thanks for the link!

5. steveroo

steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Oak Bay
    sounds like you could use your wii as a trial for your wii u when installing wiiware games

6. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    If you use a USB Loader and don't mind a bit of configuration, you can use an emunand and upload WADs onto that, then run them from the loader; ZERO chance of bricking your vWii as far as i'm aware. If that particular wad isn't working right, it'll just take you back to the menu.

7. bjaxx87
    OP

bjaxx87 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 17, 2011
    Germany
    I might give that a shot, but I heard compatibility isn't that great. I'm mostly interested in all of the N64 games and a few SNES titles.

Maybe I should just try the "Data Transfer" from Wii to Wii U? Does that even work when many games are stored in the SD menu?

8. Fil o_O

Fil o_O GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Gambia, The
    that is what I wanted to do. I've been searching for a tutorial on how to do it but I still didn't find one. could you direct me to one?
    also, if I install wads on an emunand, will it have region lock or can I install any wad on that emunand?

9. jazzeux

jazzeux Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2014
    Canada
    I found a fowarders pack on internet. Do you think it's safe enough to try? If not, is there any place where I can find a list of safe wad for my vWii? It would be nice to find a sticky with such files.
    Quote from that website:
    Here a link to that website: http://wiiuhax.com/channel-forwarders-for-vwii/

I hope they are not stealing Fix94 stuff....

10. Fil o_O

Fil o_O GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Gambia, The
    If I install a WAD that I have in mind on Dolphin emulator and it works, would that be an indicator that it also works on the Wii U console?
    Is it important what region it is? The wad files I have all say USA in brackets and my Wii U/ vWii is European, so PAL.

11. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014

You can add a wad to dolphin like any iso or gcm and it'll pick up on it. I play My life as a darklord on dolphin because the compatibility isn't great wit emunands apparently; could never get it to work. This in itself says that testing it on Dolphin first is no indication that it'll work on an Emunand. Best thing is to experiment; if you're using an Emunand, you don't have any chance of bricking your wii U, unless you do something catastrophically stupid.

12. mostafa

mostafa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2017
    Iran
    hi

how to install VC wads (sega games and WiiWare) on the vWii ?

i have the wad files and i can install on Wii
    but i dont know how to install them

thanks