Installing CFW in Nintendo 2DS (10.6 original)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kambiz96, Mar 3, 2016.

1. kambiz96
    OP

kambiz96 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    I have a Nintendo 2DS without CFW or any dump nand etc. it has 10.6 (I updated because i'm some kind of retard) and I'm new in that scene world. I have understood that now the only way to install a CFW with original 10.6 is downgrading with hardmod to 10.3 and then downgrading by softmod to 9.2. I have experience in Xbox 360 scene and I flashed a couple of those fat boys. I don't mind to do it by hardmod so would you recommend to wait or downgrade my Nintendo 2DS now?

this is my first message so thanks to all in this great community.

PD: Sorry if I have something wrong, English is not my mother tongue.

2. Xeology

Xeology GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    Keansburg, NJ
    To my knowledge you need a NAND backup to do that hardmod as you are flashing the chip with a copy of the NAND and that NAND MUST be yours. I may be wrong, but I am almost 100% positive this is the case. However, you may be in luck, it sounds like someone found a flaw in part of the encryption system of 10.6 (XOR, again XD) that may allow new code to be injected. Just hold tight and do not update.

3. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    The only backup you need when downgrading via hardmod is the one you dump on 10.6.

4. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Saint Holy Sword Dragon

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    you dont need your nand dump to downgrade to 10.2 with a hard mod as far as i know, im trying to find that thread that has a complete explanation about it and how to do it.

I figured out you need a nand dump, but it can be done in the current firmware you are with a hardmod, just follow this if you want to go ahead https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-har...of-native_firm-from-10-4-10-5-to-10-2.412836/

Last edited by DeslotlCL, Mar 3, 2016
  5. kambiz96
    OP

kambiz96 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    So, firstly I need a backup of my NAND with hardmod right? Yep i knew that part, I forgot to tell you. I'm interested in what @Xeology said about that flaw, if this is true I should wait. I will investigate that. Maybe this weekend I will begin with the hardmod if there isn't any changes

6. Xeology

Xeology GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    Keansburg, NJ
    Interesting, thought it needed to be an older nand-dump to do it. My mistake. The exploit was mentioned awhile back, don't know if there has been any change, should be here somewhere.

7. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    You don't need a hardmod to downgrade anymore. Just follow this thread:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/noob-fri...g-your-3ds-from-10-4-10-5-10-6-to-9-2.418125/

8. gkoelho

gkoelho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil
    U dont neet a hard mod, u just need a cubic ninja game cartridge and u can downgrade to 9.2, and do whatever u want from there.

9. kambiz96
    OP

kambiz96 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    I knew it, thanks! Anyway I hardmoded my 2DS so now it isn't necessary for me. Thanks to all :D

10. gkoelho

gkoelho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil
    Yes it is nescessary, as right now the only thing u can flash to your sysnand is the exact same version where u are, unless u have some older backup.

11. kambiz96
    OP

kambiz96 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    I hardmoded and I'm in 9.2 using rxtools CFW. I extracted my nand before. I was responding to Just Passing By that now it isn't necessary hardmod with 10.6 old 3ds, but i hardmoded before that response :P Thanks ^^

Just Passing By and gkoelho like this.
  12. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    You can do minor version FIRM downgrades without a prior backup, 10.7 down to as far as 9.6. It's enough to get back to memchunkhax2, although now that memchunkhax3/svchax is a thing, it's not really needed.