Hacking Installing Bootmii as boot2 unaffected by updates?

bzlai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to update my 3.2U Wii to 4.0 without bricking it.
I was planning on installing BootMii just incase something happens.
Boot1 is only affected to newly manufactured Wiis right? I had gotten mine sometime in 2007.

bzlai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thank you. And how should I update to 4.0?
I hear that updating from Nintendo is not recommended and I only want it to 4.0.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Might as well get 4.1 while you're at it
smile.gif
It only has good changes, unlike 4.2

I updated to 4.1 today with a method I came up with on my own:
1. Install all missing IOSes with DOP-IOS and patch the hash check (but don't update ones you already have), so you're sure you have all IOSes required for any current game or system menu.
2. Install the system menu WAD of your choice.

However, I have to warn you before you try anything - WAD Manager is NOT safe. I found this out when it failed in the middle of the installation and bricked my system menu. Luckily I had BootMii to save me, or I would have never messed around with updating the system menu unofficially in the first place.
A friend followed the same method yesterday with the same system menu WAD, and it worked fine for him. It also worked for me on the second try, so it was just a random hiccup from WAD Manager. EDIT: I made the mistake of rebooting the Wii when it failed installing the system menu wad though, so if you don't make that same mistake you would be able to just press install again and it would work
smile.gif

With that in mind, feel free to use the steps above as they are quite simple and probably not any less safe than Wanin's firmware updaters, although I haven't tested them myself (I'd rather not).
Just make sure that if you use any unofficial updating method, have BootMii boot2 beforehand (and a SD card that works with it)
tongue.gif

A backup is not essential as you can just start WAD Manager from cBoot2 and reinstall the wads you need to if anything bricks, however it does make unbricking a lot easier
tongue.gif

EDIT: Phew, that was a lot of text. There were no other posts in this topic when I started
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.