Question Installing android to EMMC?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Hamdan, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    So installing android to EMMC should be pretty simple, has anybody tried to do it yet?
    If so, please assist.
    Please no useless posts like "it's stupid" etc, if you think it is then please just calmly move on :).

Thanks GBAtemp

2. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Would be cool for us people banned by Nintendo to be able to dual boot horizon & android from emmc

3. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    Well, just use your phone/tablet? There you have your eMMC Android. Really if you want Android exclusively you should have bought a shield.

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    And for people with eMMC upgrades.

wicksand420 and NoNAND like this.
  5. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    That’s how I feel about people who want to emulate SNES and GBA on Switch! If you want to play those, just buy the consoles, amirite?

polki likes this.
  6. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    No because is stupid. (Ok I'm joking :P)

It could be done yes, but is very risky for the end user, as it may touch important stuff, and add to that the Android nature of partitioning, so there's always a brickwave of noobs that have zero knowledge regarding this. Trust me, always happens, even when they have noob friendly tutorials, so I see why the developers decided to flash the image in the SD card rather than other options.

7. legion700

legion700 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2019
    China
    You may need to write the image directly to your EMMC,then modifiy the payload.
    Or,edit EMMC's partition table,you may find a way to make a partition to write the image then delete the partition table within the image,and modifiy payload.
    Just some guess.

8. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Well, we would need a custom hekate fork and way to flash nand (memloader?)

9. NoNAND

NoNAND Spirit of the steppe

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    Singidunum
    Touching the Switches NAND would be a very bad idea to do so, given the fact that most ported OSes are quite buggy in this current state.
    I'm not saying it's impossible and not feasible to do. Sometime in the future when the switch scene has further matured we might see OS dual booting but with a small 32GB is eMMC everything would run short of storage pretty quick. Not to mention how using something that writes to the NAND could mess up things and turn them haywire.

MicmasH_W likes this.
  10. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Nothing would run short of storage.

NoNAND likes this.
  11. barnhilltrckn

barnhilltrckn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    United States
    This would be great for us who have upgraded our internal emmc modules. I have a spare 32gb module sitting here that would be great for installing Android on.

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    This would also be good for people who got specific bricks without prodinfo backups.

peteruk likes this.
  13. KnightRiderX420

KnightRiderX420 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    KnightRiderX420 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    now that hekate has a better interface, i have a 128gb msd card and know how to make a emmunand. can 1 sd card be used for both android and cfw horizon with a boot selector for the os? now that i have iptv i wanna use vlc, theres alot of rumors about both but havent still seen any .nro or python development of either. i can use both in lineage os and want a quick switch. i can get an even bigger msd card thats not the issue but atm i have a 128 gb and i know based on latest vids from sandisk they even now have a real 1tb msd card its super expensive but if i got it it wouuld work and i'd be big pimpin... :)

14. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Apparently all you have to change is boot.scr? I personally feel it would be practical but unfortunately lack the technical skills to make it happen maybe Gavin_Darkglider, Bylaws or LangerHans would like to chime in?

15. KnightRiderX420

KnightRiderX420 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    KnightRiderX420 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    I found a tut on how to do it and it worked... it wasn't that difficult either the key is making a hybrid msd card.... watch and learn. :)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted