Hardware Installing a PC fan on the PS3 Slim - advisable?

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I just bought a used PS3 Slim and I wonder if it would be advisable to drill some holes into the bottom or even a square shaped opening and install a fan onto this part? I have a 120mm PC fan with a USB plug lying around which I initially bought for another hardware "project" that I could use. I also keep my PS3 Slim vertically, so installing it on the bottom should pose no problem. But is it advisable? I mean would it lengthen the lifespan of my PS3 or could it even harm it due to irregular heat differences created by this?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The stock fan is sufficient (unless it's defective), what really matters is replacing the low-end (and, worse, probably well cooked by now) thermal paste with something better - preferably on both sides of the IHS (I didn't find it that hard, at least with the "proper" tool = oil painting spatula)

Remember: cool air = heat not getting to the heatsink, so fan speed or even liquid/peltier cooling won't help much; also the problem is not high temperatures themselves, but repeated temperature changes and the not-too-microscopic size changes that result - even more so when combined with that stupid invention known as lead free solder, which to date is not superior to the classic 60/40 which combines to be manufactured and proudly illegally imported in the EU

And of course, if the noise is not objectionable and you are using a cfw that supports plugins, you can use Webman's custom fan control (I don't really use it anymore)

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course I have a dust filter for the fan.

Drill holes on the bottom of the ps3 case, then you use a "laptop cooling pad" that blows air on the bottom.

You cut a hole inthe case above the ps3 fan, and use a PC FAN standard 3.5 inch, goes ontop and air blows down on the ps3 fan inside.

make sure the pc fan and laptop cooling pad do not use the ps3 console for power, use adaptors (a 12 volt to 5 volt with 1 amp or less will work for the pc fan)

(use electric tape, and a hand drill to do everything, you don't need to do anything else about the "dust build up", the pc fan and laptop cooling pad are designed to collect dust)

Last edited by yeshuachrist,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end