Gaming Installed home menu cia, broke the home menu.

RobloxiaMC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be in the wrong section, but i digress.

I installed a home menu CIA dump twice out of curiosity, and it broke the home menu. Is there a way to reset the home menu?

Further information upon request.

I'm going to Florida in a few days. Hope it gets fixed.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This may be in the wrong section, but i digress.

I installed a home menu CIA dump twice out of curiosity, and it broke the home menu. Is there a way to reset the home menu?

Further information upon request.

I'm going to Florida in a few days. Hope it gets fixed.
More details please. I will have to ask you some questions:
  • Did you dump the Home Menu yourself to reinstall it? What for?!
    • If so: Did you dump it as legit CIA?
  • Or did you download it somewhere in order to downgrade or whatever?
  • What exactly happens when booting the console now?
    • Is access to GodMode9 still possible? Holding (Start) on power on
    • Can you bring up Luma settings? Holding (Select) on power on
  • Do you have an up-to-date NAND image?
    • I know experiments can be fun but: :!: Never do experiments without at least backing up the NAND (and storing the image file on a computer) right before the experiment.
  • Do you at least have any NAND backup?
    • :!: Do not simply restore an old backup.

Fixing might require CTRTransfer. Backup your NAND before CTRTransfer even if the console is currently bricked.

Edit:
Whatever you do: Don't uninstall CFW now!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

RobloxiaMC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More details please. I will have to ask you some questions:
  • Did you dump the Home Menu yourself to reinstall it? What for?!
    • If so: Did you dump it as legit CIA?
  • Or did you download it somewhere in order to downgrade or whatever?
  • What exactly happens when booting the console now?
    • Is access to GodMode9 still possible? Holding (Start) on power on
    • Can you bring up Luma settings? Holding (Select) on power on
  • Do you have an up-to-date NAND image?
    • I know experiments can be fun but: :!: Never do experiments without at least backing up the NAND (and storing the image file on a computer) right before the experiment.
  • Do you at least have any NAND backup?
    • :!: Do not simply restore an old backup.

• I dumped the home menu by myself. It was a standard CIA. I don't know why. I also broke several applications with the same method.
  • Booting the system goes to a black screen. Then the only thing I can do is go to the crash screen by holding power.
  • Acess to GodMode9 and Luma settings is still possible.
  • I have a NAND backup that i think is about a month or two old.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • I dumped the home menu by myself. It was a standard CIA. I don't know why. I also broke several applications with the same method.
This is why it does not work anymore. System title(s) without legit ticket. "I also broke several applications with the same method." And because they broke when using this method you thought it would be a good idea to try it on a vital component?! Did you even successfully install the file? For me FBI fails with:

Failed to install CIA file
Result code: 0xC8E083FC
Level: Status (25)
Summary: Invalid argument (7)
Module AM (32)
Desc: Already exists (1020)

(Seems the Home Menu .app file is write protected – unlike the legit ticket. FBI can't remove or overwrite the app file.)

After this the damage is already done – legit ticket is replaced by fake and it even seems Home Menu is gone from the title list.
I also got black screen on reboot and ARM11 exception when holding power:

Exception type: prefetch abort (kernel panic)
Fault status: Debug event
Current process: ptm (0004013000002202)

• Booting the system goes to a black screen. Then the only thing I can do is go to the crash screen by holding power.
  • Acess to GodMode9 and Luma settings is still possible.
  • I have a NAND backup that i think is about a month or two old.
I'm not really sure what is the least destructive method here. CTRTransfer or NAND restore. The full restore will revert the title database to an earlier state. Titles installed after that will not be useable. Rebuilding the title database might be needed. :!: Simply reinstalling a CIA file will overwrite the save of the game.

I would try CTRTransfer first. Simple CTRTransfer with GodMode9 from my own ctrnand_full.bin repaired the damage.

Please remember to backup the current (bricked) status.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

RobloxiaMC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good. I think it may be possible to find the home menu location and fix the issue, but it sounds like no.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is why it does not work anymore. System title(s) without legit ticket. "I also broke several applications with the same method." And because they broke when using this method you thought it would be a good idea to try it on a vital component?! Did you even successfully install the file? For me FBI fails with:

Failed to install CIA file
Result code: 0xC8E083FC
Level: Status (25)
Summary: Invalid argument (7)
Module AM (32)
Desc: Already exists (1020)

(Seems the Home Menu .app file is write protected – unlike the legit ticket. FBI can't remove or overwrite the app file.)

After this the damage is already done – legit ticket is replaced by fake and it even seems Home Menu is gone from the title list.
I also got black screen on reboot and ARM11 exception when holding power:

Exception type: prefetch abort (kernel panic)
Fault status: Debug event
Current process: ptm (0004013000002202)

I'm not really sure what is the least destructive method here. CTRTransfer or NAND restore. The full restore will revert the title database to an earlier state. Titles installed after that will not be useable. Rebuilding the title database might be needed. :!: Simply reinstalling a CIA file will overwrite the save of the game.

I would try CTRTransfer first. Simple CTRTransfer with GodMode9 from my own ctrnand_full.bin repaired the damage.

Please remember to backup the current (bricked) status.
Tickets are dumpable with GM9 Megascript, and reinstallable with FBI. Should be in Scripts from Plailect's Guide -> CTRTransfer Ticket Dump. IIRC, first dumping ticket.db with GM9 and then renaming it to ticket.bak is required for the script to run successfully. Shouldn't be necessary if he's just doing a ctrtransfer though, but could save his ass in the event he has to restore a full NAND backup, as that should be all that's needed to regain access to the lost games and save data after a restore. Or alternatively, faketik should do the trick with less effort.

RobloxiaMC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a good question if I could run faketik. HBL is unavailable via lack of home menu. Seems i need to do a ctrtransfer.

theoldmototoad50

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have this problem with the home menu using a gm9 script and installing a modded home menu cia. It used to work before then had some problems so I restored the original. Today I installed the modded one out of interest and this same problem happened. The thing is, selecting the CTRTransfer Ticket Copy it says "Could not find ticket backup. Something has gone wrong with your CTRTransfer." pls help!

scratcher7544

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also, too, did this out of curiosity. And after bricking it, I found out that it's actually pretty easy to fix.
First, boot into safe mode. (This can be accessed by holding L+R+A+Up(Dpad).)
Update your system, and that's pretty much it.
Post automatically merged:

I also, too, did this out of curiosity. And after bricking it, I found out that it's actually pretty easy to fix.
First, boot into safe mode. (This can be accessed by holding L+R+A+Up(Dpad).)
Update your system, and that's pretty much it.
Your system's home menu will be restored, and everything should be back to normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls +1