Gaming Insecticide coming together nicely.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like Joystiq's DS Fanboy staff got to play a near-finished build of Insecticide, and they're glowing about the game:

"I can't say enough about how right this adventuring felt. It's not even nostalgia for an old game type. It's just a new, good game in a favorite genre. It's also an explosion of cherry flavor!"

insg004ak.jpg
ins28001ak.jpg

You can check out their full preview here: http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/02/05/ds-fanb...on-insecticide/

But it sounds like the game's two main elements -- platforming and adventure / point & click -- mesh nicely. I've been looking forward to the game, and this article has given me hope that Gamecock won't disappoint me this time around.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate how developers hardly use custom fonts to display texts. Most games use but-ugly MS sans serif or Verdana....Ew...

laugh.gif
Yeah, I guess I can identify with that, though it's certainly a minor gripe. I always appreciate the level of detail Square Enix puts into those seemingly minor things. But for Insecticide, you really don't need anything fancy. It's a film noir-type setting, from what I understand.

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not as excited about the game as others are. I don't understand what seems so special about it? I've watched trailers and gameplay for it, and it seems heavily directed towards kids. Because of the heavy marketing geared towards the little kids I fear the game will be too easy.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has a very Psychonauts look to the graphics. I liked Psychonauts......I hope this game will be a lot like it.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not long now, and a lot of previews are saying that its very very good and balances the adventure and platforming sections very well (which contradicts NP 6.5 review).

Just fount out that the people behind it, worked for LucasArts during their golden age when they did Day of the Tentacle, Secret of Monkey Island’ & Full Throttle, it shows with what I've seen on this title.

PC version (which is split in episodes) is out this week so will give a go and the DS version is out in only 14 days!

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Just fount out that the people behind it, worked for LucasArts during their golden age when they did Day of the Tentacle, Secret of Monkey Island’ & Full Throttle, it shows with what I've seen on this title....

Yeah, I was kind of glad to hear about that as well. I'm confident in their ability to get the adventure elements right. Let's just hope they integrate the action elements well. I got the news from GoNintendo, and I have to agree with their opinion when they speculate that a lot of people lose interest when it's just hours of text. I know Phoenix Wright is doing well, and the DS seems to have really revived the genre, but I'm one of those guys who likes a bit of both -- action and puzzling. I'm very hyped for the game still, and I'll take Nintendo's review with a grain of salt. After all, they gave Brawl a "10," a game they admittedly haven't had a chance to play online. I don't know about you, but for me, the online is a pretty big selling point. I don't see how they have the balls to rate the game a perfect score without first having even test driven the online play and options.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well they have the balls to give it a ten because, no offence to anyone, but there are many people who follow the SSB series like sheep, regardless of how good or meh it is.

It could be mediocre and people would still yell GOTY.

For me the novelty of nintendo characters beating each other up ended rather quickly when I rented the original. I have given each release a go, but none has kept me hooked I always find myself popping another game in after 20 minutes.

On topic, I hope they do get this right.

Batman55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do you control the on screen reticle, or is it just always centered?
Are the jumping mechanics and collision detection wonky (Star Wars 2) or smooth (SM64)?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Batman55 said:
How do you control the on screen reticle, or is it just always centered?
Are the jumping mechanics and collision detection wonky (Star Wars 2) or smooth (SM64)?

Not sure yet about any of those things. Though I've got the game already, I probably won't touch it until this evening. I heard it's supposed to be pretty dark, literally, and my DS phat isn't that bright. So, I'll wait `til it gets dark, then play it. Anyway, it's supposed to have a film noir quality to it, so it's probably best enjoyed at night.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE