Homebrew Infra Red Resource Thread

Would you like to see development for IR homebrew (CPP or not) on the 3ds?

• Yes, and I have the CPP!

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Yes, why not!

Votes: 164 78.5%
  • No.

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters

RedHat

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh wait. CPP stands for Circle Pad Pro right? Ehh do I need that? xDD
Nah. When you use the app it'll show some errors (most likely) on the bottom screen (if it says something other than "d8e06406" for IR Init or "d8e007f7" for IR I/O, it could help us!). Try pointing a camera towards the black port on the back of the 3ds and if you see a nice purple flash (the current goal), it works!

Reactions: Margen67

VegaRoXas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nah. When you use the app it'll show some errors (most likely) on the bottom screen (if it says something other than "d8e06406" for IR Init or "d8e007f7" for IR I/O, it could help us!). Try pointing a camera towards the black port on the back of the 3ds and if you see a nice purple flash (the current goal), it works!
Alright.

VegaRoXas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Same error on 7.1 sysnand.
SFFN98A.jpg

Also nothing when pointing a camera on the ir port.

RedHat

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Same error on 7.1 sysnand.
Gah! Maybe the homebrew I made doesn't work. It's really hard to do this since there hasn't been much discussion on IR in the first place... Annnd back to the drawing board. Thanks for testing it!

Edit: Could I put that picture in the readme.md as an example screenshot on the github?
Edit edit: Put you in the OP. Thanks!
Edit edit edit: I wonder if smea's next big release has more IR functions... Hurry up, smea, I really want to take screenshots as well!

Last edited by RedHat,

caboyzcoti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to use irshell on psp just for the awesome windows theme that made it seem almost like a real pc. They had hooks into services that either weren't available in the xmb or I just didn't know how to access them. I literally did not use the tv remote function once lol I would today, though. I have so many remotes it's ridiculous.

VegaRoXas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gah! Maybe the homebrew I made doesn't work. It's really hard to do this since there hasn't been much discussion on IR in the first place... Annnd back to the drawing board. Thanks for testing it!

Edit: Could I put that picture in the readme.md as an example screenshot on the github?
Edit edit: Put you in the OP. Thanks!
Edit edit edit: I wonder if smea's next big release has more IR functions... Hurry up, smea, I really want to take screenshots as well!
Yeah ofc :D

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

0xd8e06406:
Module: 25 (SRV)
Level: 27 (Permanent)
Summary: 7 (Invalid Argument)
Description: 6 (Access Denied)

0xd8e007f7:
Module: 1 (Kernel)
Description: 1015 (Invalid Handle)

So in other words, you're trying to access the ir:u service without permissions, and then trying to use ir:u with an invalid handle (because you didn't get one due to access being denied). To be allowed to use it, you'll probably need to create an xml file for your 3dsx with contents like this (and also named the same, so for example: irtest.3dsx, and irtest.xml):

Code:
<targets selectable="true">
</targets>

..and then select a game or app that lets you use ir:u (probably Pokémon games; they feature IR trading, if I recall) when you try to run it from the HB launcher.

Last edited by daxtsu,

VegaRoXas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
0xd8e06406:

0xd8e007f7:

So in other words, you're trying to access the ir:u service without permissions, and then trying to use ir:u with an invalid handle (because you didn't get one due to access being denied). To be allowed to use it, you'll probably need to create an xml file for your 3dsx with contents like this (and also named the same, so for example: irtest.3dsx, and irtest.xml):

Code:
</targets>

..and then select a game or app that lets you use ir:u (probably Pokémon games; they feature IR trading, if I recall) when you try to run it from the HB launcher.
Can't he do something like this?
<code>
<services autodetect="false">
<request priority="1">ir:u</title>
</services>
</code>

RedHat

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
0xd8e06406:

0xd8e007f7:

Code:
</targets>

Holy heck, thanks! If I was at my computer I'd totally try it, but I am not. If it's just a simple XML file I might be able to write one on my phone. Thanks for decoding those result messages!

Last edited by RedHat,

VegaRoXas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I suppose so. I've not really messed with these XML files much. I typically use CIA-format homebrew. It's worth a shot though.
Just using that doesn't work. Trying with pokemon now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

0xd8e06406:

0xd8e007f7:

Code:
</targets>

Added that file and selected pokemon as. Same error :/

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I suppose it's possible that the current *hax payload doesn't allow for ir:u/ir:USER then. Could probably use ARM11 kernel to patch service access checks (but if you can do that you almost may as well just use a CIA instead), but that'd require 9.2 and below, of course.

Last edited by daxtsu,

RedHat

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, android + FTP client worked fine tethered.
Anyway, here are my findings:
MH4U and its demo cause the screen to go berserk when launched. Sm4sh does the same. No IR activity.
No luck with the eShop Poke X either.
I'll try MH3U when I have access to the game card.

Heck, if someone could gain control over IR with a *.cia, I wouldn't even be mad (as I am on 10.1.0-27U right now :/ ). Its a start!

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
Try download play.
However, 3ds have very unique signal, so tv remote is very unlikely. I think homebrew multiplayer much more enthusiastic.

VegaRoXas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, android + FTP client worked fine tethered.
Anyway, here are my findings:
MH4U and its demo cause the screen to go berserk when launched. Sm4sh does the same. No IR activity.
No luck with the eShop Poke X either.
I'll try MH3U when I have access to the game card.

Heck, if someone could gain control over IR with a *.cia, I wouldn't even be mad (as I am on 10.1.0-27U right now :/ ). Its a start!
I maybe could try that. But I'll first have to read how to create a cia.

Reactions: Margen67 and RedHat

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try download play.
However, 3ds have very unique signal, so tv remote is very unlikely. I think homebrew multiplayer much more enthusiastic.

This definitely. If we could get this working, we might be able to intergrate second player (SNES, NES) or link cable features (Pokemon) into emulators. Heck, even a 3DSCraft local would be neat.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

It's trivial to do with a CIA, since you can ask for literally any service (by defining what you have access to in the RSF file). Your code is working fine on my N3DS in CIA format, outputting an IR signal properly (checked with a smartphone camera). If you can find a way to get access to the service on *hax, then you should be able to also.

Reactions: Margen67 and RedHat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad: