Indie Games

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Bernhard, May 17, 2016.

1. Bernhard
    OP

Bernhard BorderPsycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    Hey everyone :)
    I just wanted to ask which indie games you love the most :3 and which genre this one is ^^

Cheers:grog:

2. PolarKoala

PolarKoala Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2016
    United States
    I really like this flash game on kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/zillix/endeavor

It's a sort of adventure platformer, with a bit of choice on how you approach the game and the ending of the game. Worth spending a hour or so on if you've got the time.

Bernhard likes this.
  3. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, tons.
    Fez, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Undertale, To The Moon, Evoland, etc.
    A quick Google search will find you tons of gems, and they can be bought relatively cheap, especially during the Steam Summer Sale.
    And like the post above me shows, there's a ton of web games that are really well-made. A shame everyone's pushing for the death of Flash, because a ton of Flash games are really good and risk being lost to the sands of time.

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    "Indy game" isn't really a genre. It's an indication that the budget and staff is much smaller than the AAA-class games. And especially when you take mobile games into account, this is really a HUGE amount of games in pretty much all genres.

I'll link to my best games of last year. Aside from 21, 14, arguably 12, 11, 9, 3 and perhaps 2, these are all indie titles.
    On the year before, all but 17, maybe 15, 14, 9 and 7 were indies.
    For this year, I can already absolutely recommend duet: premium and (ESPECIALLY) parkitect. The first one is sort of a parkour/rhythm kind of game; the other is basically rollercoaster tycoon.

5. Bernhard
    OP

Bernhard BorderPsycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    Yeah actually u are right ^^ but the indiscene is ...a kind of genre in comparism with ea and their gametrillogy named crysis (i played them.all..they are great but the fell like...the same each other ^^ u get a kind of bored ) but indie games feel fresh ...they have got inovations ..they are new ...and nearly all of them feel fresh and great... ok some of them..are shitty but yeah i vent played much indie games that weren't perfect :D but yeah i ll take one example and talk a bit about ... the indie games are not the same...even rust and day z or the forest...they are all survivalgames...but every game is one unique gametitle ^^ ... i think indie is more like ... great ideas without much budget ( really thinking about the things before they want to do it.. cause of the money i guess...)and more like ... dreams of people put in one or more projects .

It sounds strange but i dont know how i could describe it better ^^

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    There's certainly a indiescene, but it's more a bunch of individuals sharing their work and inspiration on the internet and on gaming conventions (pax, for example). I don't see how you can in any way compare that to Crytek's Crysis games (EA just bought the studio, like they did with many other studios).

Unfortunate enough, the "new, fresh and great" isn't entirely true. Since they don't have as much marketing budget (if they have any at all), they rely on word of mouth and being picked up by youtube let'splayers. That filters things, because not all games make it to the spotlight (and to be fair: some absolutely don't deserve it either). Result: games that have an unique approach or interesting mechanic are more likely to surface. Interestingly enough, this is somewhat the opposite if kickstarter is involved: money usually goes to throwbacks of old game genres or reboots of forgotten franchises (I already mentioned parkitect, right?).

In comparison, AAA-titles simply cost too much money to make for the creators to take risks. That's why there's emphasis on sequels and known and proven-to-work mechanics (especially ubisoft gets overboard on this last one). Shooters and 'action-adventure' games sell the best, so it gets made more. Horror and survival games are somewhat of a niche, so they are rarely ever the main component of the game.

But you're right on one thing: indies sometimes tend to look somewhat similar due to probably three things:
    -pixelated or 16-bit art style. This is both easier on computing power, easier to make look good and sparks the nostalgia card. While this sometimes really adds to the atmosphere (eg shovel knight), sometimes it's just done for convenience (3D modeling is pretty time-consuming to do well).
    -similar editors. Unity, game maker, unrealED and perhaps a handful other game building engines are powerful, easy-to-use and not expensive or even free (I remember getting a few in humble bundles :P ). So the majority of indie titles are done within those. I don't really think it's noticeable, but more experienced gamers who care to look into this (like totalbiscuit) disagree on this
    -game designer is a profession, now. There are classes in which the do's and don't do's are actually taught. That, and the fact that most designers of today grew up playing video games (unlike the AAA-directors, I sometimes think), mean they have a more refined version of what makes "a good game". And I've got the idea that maintaining that similar idea is easier on a small group than in a large studio.

7. Bernhard
    OP

Bernhard BorderPsycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    I wanted it to compare it with crysis cause of the budget they ve ^^ crytech i think had really much ... ^^ bit yea you are right some dont deserve it though xD in majority i think 45% make it to steam? Dont they? ^^

And i think we two mean the same as i said they want their dreams comming true ... like yeah i think tim burton for exapmple made some really good tv films..
    And i think the creator of DayZ just had the same he wanted to make the horror he had in his mind ..comming true. But we both are thinking the same way you didnt understand me to 100% ;) .

I recently picked up never ending nightmares ^^ great game though !

But comming back to the budget...a lot of indietitles made cloudfonding (dont know how it is called right i am sry for that :D ) but i ll explain it ! If some one asks people with help of the net to support his/her projects !

8. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    I really enjoy Hyper Light Drifter and FEZ, but there are several other good ones I've played. Those two are just the first couple off the top of my head.

9. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I like Shovel Knight, Papers Please and Undertale. All good games imo

10. Piluvr

Piluvr Resident Masturbator

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind you
    Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac are my personal favorites.

11. Touko White

Touko White miqrojamie

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England
    I've never played an indie game before, Minecraft doesn't count.
    I wish I knew though and could support these independent people.

12. mgrev

mgrev Legit Gladiator

Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    www.realmofthemadgod.com started as an indie project.
    Tower of Guns is my fav one, developed by two brothers
    learn to fly series is kinda fun when you're bored

13. Bernhard
    OP

Bernhard BorderPsycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    My favourite so dar is TBOI ^^ Rebirth and afterbirth.. and supermeatboy. Edmund mc is ome of my top producer so far !

But i ll check hyper drift out ! Thank ya @8BitWonder !

Nuclear throne is really great too ^^ @Piluvr !

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh sounds interesting! Thanks @mgrev ! :)

14. Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Bunny from Japan

Feb 27, 2016
    Japan
    Shinjuku
    Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae ( just search on Google). Action Samurai girl genre games!!! :lol: The part most I love is how kawaii her character is with her show off scene of her white pant lol.:wub: