India unveils prototype of $35 tablet computer

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Guild McCommunist said:
The Chinese knockoffs have gotten decent enough reviews and they go from $100-$200.

Personally though if I was a student I'd rather have a netbook or other type of laptop. Tablets are cool and nice devices but a netbook is better suited for the needs of a student, in my opinion.
It depends on what you're studying, really.

Yeah, if you're wasting money on an art degree, tablets are great.

Anything else (requiring precise typing and spelling), not so much.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
huh why not?
if it's only $35, i might as well get it even if it is limited to certain things. wordprocessing and surfing the web. that's enough to satisfy me since it'll cover typing work, doing research and going on GBAtemp
biggrin.gif

it's touchscreen to, so another plus. if it's got speakers and expandable memory, then there goes my media player
happy.gif

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guild McCommunist said:
The Chinese knockoffs have gotten decent enough reviews and they go from $100-$200.

Personally though if I was a student I'd rather have a netbook or other type of laptop. Tablets are cool and nice devices but a netbook is better suited for the needs of a student, in my opinion.
Tablet is really useful for jotting down math formulas. Single-line input really becomes a pain when trying to write down more complex problems, and I speak from experience there.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
35$? Something, or alot of things must have been removed, like the A4 chip, which means that it will be really slow and won't support any demanding games and I'm almost sure that the touch screen is different, and may not be responsive. For all we know, it might not even have wi-fi, but an ethernet port.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
metamaster said:
35$? Something, or alot of things must have been removed, like the A4 chip, which means that it will be really slow and won't support any demanding games and I'm almost sure that the touch screen is different, and may not be responsive. For all we know, it might not even have wi-fi, but an ethernet port.
It's for basic computing not gaming.

For $35 it's great, even if the touch screen isn't perfect.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.... another ipad knockoff that won't run well and its touch screen is awful (i know i saw one). Look at deal extreme with their crappy merchandise just like that thing. If you only have 35$ go for it. But if you want a real computer buy a tablet, or if you're an ipod appl guru like me pick up the ipad.

oh... yea jailbreak that thing.

Wynd

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it can do what they claim at a decent speed and can run FireFox, I'm game.

This could be an amazing innovation in the world of personal computers.

D

Deleted_171835

zuron7 said:
I read about this in the newspaper in the morning.
It's actually wuite decent and has the exact looks oof an iPad(without the shininess)
I like the fact that it runs on solar power and has 2 GB of RAM.
Solar Power?
Not good. We don't get a ton of sun here in Canada. This is for India, though so I doubt it really matters. 2 gigs is rather shocking.

2GB of RAM cost around $40. How are they able to put that in a $35 tablet?

chA1nBull3t

Trophies
Website
www.kalam1ty.co.cc
XP
Country
United States
wyndcrosser said:
.... another ipad knockoff that won't run well and its touch screen is awful (i know i saw one). Look at deal extreme with their crappy merchandise just like that thing. If you only have 35$ go for it. But if you want a real computer buy a tablet, or if you're an ipod appl guru like me pick up the ipad.

oh... yea jailbreak that thing.

Wynd

Well... it IS only $35. It's geared towards students or the needy. Of course, if you have money, someone will probably go out to buy a higher quality item such as an iPad; but for $35 dollars, one can't complain lol. Also, how do you know it won't run well? India makes some pretty tight IT stuff
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.