GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This is something that's actually been bugging me for a while. Ever since I got my 3DS, it has had extremely inconsistent battery life, and I don't seem to notice any pattern at all. Randomly on some days, I'll leave it on sleep mode with wireless on and not use it at all, and it'll be completely dead in about 4 or 5 hours. But then on other days (like today), I'll leave it unplugged with wireless on for a good 8 or 9 hours AND play a 3DS game for about an hour, and it'll still be reading as having 4/4 battery bars filled. So what's up with that? Why does my 3DS have randomly short battery life on some days, and abnormally long battery life on others? Does anyone know? Has anyone else had this issue or know a fix?

PS: I bought the 3DS used off ebay in December, so no idea what conditions the previous owner had it in (though it looks and works perfectly fine otherwise). Also, I have never used any special 3rd party accessories (battery packs, etc), and I always charge directly through the cable, not the charging cradle.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
This may not be correct for the 3DS but doesn't that usally happen when a battery needs to be cycled? On some types of batteries you'd drain them all the way and charge and on others you drain them to like 3% - 5% and then charge.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This may not be correct for the 3DS but doesn't that usally happen when a battery needs to be cycled? On some types of batteries you'd drain them all the way and charge and on others you drain them to like 3% - 5% and then charge.
Well, I'm definitely running them down to zero, and then charging them. that's how i do it on a regular basis. i only charge it till it's full (at night), then unplug it.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like a messed up battery.
Man, Jealous of you leaving it on for 8+ hours, and still on ...

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Seems like a messed up battery.
Man, Jealous of you leaving it on for 8+ hours, and still on ...
Yeah... finally dropped down to 3/4, btw... been turned on and unplugged for almost 12 hours, with about 90 minutes of Kid Icarus: Uprising playtime on it... I actually went home for Easter today (away from the mountains), weirdly enough, so maybe Luigi2012SM64DS is right.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a DSTWO left in when it seems to run shorter? I've noticed that leaving mine in my 3DS can cut the battery life down on my 3DS by an hour or two, even on sleep. Sometimes though, not always.
sometimes, yeah. I've never noticed a correlation though. i'll pay attention next time.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I barely turn my 3DS off, and sometimes it's inconsistent like yours.

I think the main reason is Spotpass. You said you keep the Wi-Fi on. If it downloads a video or update in sleep mode, it's using more battery connecting to the internet.

Also, I think different games use more battery. I feel my battery is shorter when playing Resident Evil or Kid Icarus. Maybe I'm just nuts.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

I think the main reason is Spotpass. You said you keep the Wi-Fi on. If it downloads a video or update in sleep mode, it's using more battery connecting to the internet.
So you're basically saying that, if I just happen to NOT meet anyone via spotpass or Nintendo video (like today) that would explain the increased life? Hm.

Also, I think different games use more battery. I feel my battery is shorter when playing Resident Evil or Kid Icarus. Maybe I'm just nuts.
I wouldn't be surprised at all. both RE:R and KI:U are considered to "push the 3DS to its limits".

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

So you're basically saying that, if I just happen to NOT meet anyone via spotpass or Nintendo video (like today) that would explain the increased life? Hm.
Or you can just turn your 3DS off when you're not using it. Next time you turn it on, you'll get the Spotpass updates anyways.

I would assume since it's constantly looking for data to download, it uses more battery. Not positive though, just my guess.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Or you can just turn your 3DS off when you're not using it. Next time you turn it on, you'll get the Spotpass updates anyways.

I would assume since it's constantly looking for data to download, it uses more battery. Not positive though, just my guess.
Spotpass, yeah, if you turn it on hear a Wifi hotspot.

But how do you propose OP gets Streetpass tags while his console is off?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a DSTWO left in when it seems to run shorter? I've noticed that leaving mine in my 3DS can cut the battery life down on my 3DS by an hour or two, even on sleep. Sometimes though, not always.
sometimes, yeah. I've never noticed a correlation though. i'll pay attention next time.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll definitely do some testing then. thanks!

So, I've been keeping my 3DS unplugged all day for the past 2 days, with only a 3DS cart in (not the SuperCard), and the battery life continues to be phenomenal. If I keep it in sleep mode with wireless on and dont play it at all, it seems to last forever. This is amazing. :D I'll definitely be making sure to remove my supercard whenever I'm not playing it from now on.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Update: Well, it looks like the SuperCard power drain explanation was correct. I haven't kept the SuperCard in all week and the battery has been lasting literally all day in sleep mode, usually keeping 4/4 on the battery bar. thanks guys!

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
so it's a good thing that the battery can last all day if you can't play any games?
That's not what I'm saying at all (read the rest of the posts, and you'll see that). What I'm saying is this: I'm a college student. In the morning, I unplug my 3DS, turn it on for streetpass, put it in my pocket, and go to class. Of course, I meet TONS of users via streetpass this way (which matters not to some, but matters much to others). In the afternoon when I'm done with classes and want to relax in the nearest couch in the library (or elsewhere on campus) and actually play my 3DS, it's NICE to be able to actually turn it on, and see it still has 4/4 battery bars left, so I can actually use that battery power to play games. Obviously, I don't want my battery completely drained in 6 hours just because I kept it in sleep mode in my pocket.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: