Incomplete downgrade with N3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by fanty, Jan 19, 2016.

1. fanty
    OP

fanty Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So I got an incomplete downgrade with my N3DS going from 9.8 to 9.2 (or at least trying to do so). After a few .cia files it crashed with the "an error occurred"-message. I checked my downgrade files and everything and I guess it was just bad luck.

With 10.4 released updating via Internet to a complete firmware isn't really an option. The question is: How do I get a stable firmware? Is using sysUpdater to either downgrade to 9.1 or update to 10.X the right thing to do or maybe even just retry to downgrade to 9.2 again. Or am I fucked?

2. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    use 10.3 update cias, they are on "that iso site"

3. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    If you've softbricked even with the SD card out of the system, you have no choice but to update to 10.4 via recovery menu, unless you happened to hardmod and make a backup before doing any downgrading.

4. fanty
    OP

fanty Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Well lucky(?) me can still use the system and all it's function perfectly fine. It's just that not all of my system was downgraded and I am just trying to figure out what the best way of handling this is. Here is hoping that it will turn out fine and I won't have to update to 10.4 (or get a hardbrick).
    Is the updating process more stable than the downgrade process? I reckon I don't really have a choice but maybe you could fill me with hope. Oh and thanks for the quick answer :)

Last edited by fanty, Jan 19, 2016
  5. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    First check if you can set up menuhax and boot into a CFW. If you can, then yes you're in luck: You can use sysupdater to clean-install the 9.2 update files, or just ignore the unclean downgrade and do everything in emunand.

6. Filo97

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    well, actually never tried. (downgraded on o3ds frist try) but the process should be similiar. (downgrade and update process are similiar) (i did like 3 magic luck indian rituals next to my 3ds before downgrading, try to do so too)

7. ChaosRipple

ChaosRipple GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    I guess the simplest way is to re-run the downgrade. The best way that I can think of is for you to manually find out which titles didn't downgrade, uninstall them and install its respective lower version.

8. fanty
    OP

fanty Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Got my o3ds on first try to. Thought I would grab a N3DS as long as I still have a failsave. Maybe not my lucky day. Maybe I should wait till tomorrow and learn those luck rituals.
    Guess that can't hurt. Although I reckon that it won't work since it happend really early on and the native_firm wasn't downgraded.

9. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    If it doesn't work, then yeah, try downgrading again.

10. Dwaalspoor98

Dwaalspoor98 GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2003
    Netherlands
    Earth
    That's what I did, the downgrade gave me an error at a certain point, I just ran it again and everything is working like it should. I don't see any reason why you would first upgrade again (as long you still could run sysUpdater)

Last edited by Dwaalspoor98, Jan 19, 2016
  11. Filo97

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    first one:
    LUCK COME HERE! HERE COME LUCK! LUCK LUCK LUCK!
    second one:
    LUCKY LUCH HERE YOU COME! COME YOU HERE LUCH LUCKY!
    third: MAGIC LUCK! LUCK MAGIC! ON MY 3DS YOU ARE NOW!

Tescowiec likes this.
  12. fanty
    OP

fanty Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Okay, awesome thank you guys so much. I guess I will start with trying to run cakes if it works I won't fuck with it. Otherwise another downgrade attempt it is.

13. Dwaalspoor98

May 28, 2003
    Netherlands
    Earth
    I would not leave my system in a half downgraded state, but that's up to you ;)

14. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I might be a good idea to run this and find out which titles didn't install. Post the change.log.

The good news is that downgrader should be more stable 9.2 assuming your downgrade isn't really botched. That homebrew should give you an idea how good/bad it went.

Last edited by zoogie, Jan 19, 2016
  15. fanty
    OP

fanty Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Thank you for helping :) Here is the change.log

16. Dwaalspoor98

May 28, 2003
    Netherlands
    Earth
    Good point! The second attempt (after the partial downgrade) worked the first time :)

zoogie likes this.
  17. fanty
    OP

fanty Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So I tested around a bit. Cakes crashes and EmuNAND9 throws me right back to the HBL. I also figured out that my native_firm is 2.50-1 the 9.6+ one which I most likely kept from my original firmware. Starting a second downgrade attempt seems like the most obvious choice right now. However do I try to remove those cia that already were downgraded or do I attempt another full one?

Haha. Guess it can't hurt ;)
    My thought process was that if I am able to run EmuNAND and a cfw I will just never touch my sysnand again as I think chances of a brick are higher when I try to tinker more with it.
    Is that so? You remember how long it took until the 3ds crashed the first time around?

18. Dwaalspoor98

May 28, 2003
    Netherlands
    Earth
    A couple of minutes I guess, I did not really track time...

19. fanty
    OP

fanty Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Didn't expect you to. I am right now going from the Bargaining-Stage to the Depression-Stage in the 5 Stages of Loss and Grief.

20. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Looking at that change.log it appears little went right. Native firm didn't install, which is bad. It might be a better idea to upgrade to 10.3 then try again.
    Also might want some other people to chime in on that change.log for a second opinion.
    change.log

Last edited by zoogie, Jan 19, 2016