Gaming Inafune announces Mega Man Zero Spiritual Successor Azure Striker Gunvolt

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where?
Plus it doesn't matter if it's related to the series or not. It's a spiritual successor. Xenosaga is a spiritual successor to Xenogears and they're in the same universe.
Let me put it this way: the list of games on that page is not in any way comprehensive; there are more spiritual successors. Since I'm lazy, I was hoping to get the name of the Mega Man game which was (is) the spiritual successor to this one without browsing the internet. I believe the game which this one is a successor to was funded through Kickstarter; this's why people are upset that this game is being released while $4 million dollars goes to waste.
What? What does this have to do anything with what you said about it not being a spiritual successor?

I didn't say it was a spiritual successor; I said that a spiritual successor to a Mega Man game would possibly have Mega Man in its name. It's almost like Paper Mario was a spiritual successor to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Now I'm not referencing this because it's on the list or that there are seven star (spirits) in each games or that I've played the shit out of them, but it's because of their names. Why shouldn't Capcom follow the same naming conventions? Odds are it'll sell more copies.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said that a spiritual successor to a Mega Man game would possibly have Mega Man in its name.
No, no it wouldn't.
That's why it's a spiritual successor. If Inafune had the rights to these games it would have been another Mega Man game and not a spiritual successor.

And that's why most spiritual successors happen because companies don't own the IP so instead the make a game that shares the same theme, element, gameplay, ect.
Spiritual successors are mostly done by people who worked on the original game they wanted make a sequel for, but not always.

Spiritual successors can be done by people who are fans of the original as it was with Paper Mario series, or by developers who want to do something different, but not entirely different to stuff they worked on in the past like Dark Souls.

Why shouldn't Capcom follow the same naming conventions? Odds are it'll sell more copies.
Capcom isn't involved in any of the games.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meaning the lead designer is working simultaneously on two Megaman-related projects instead of focusing on finishing one job before starting another.

Some kickstarters were wondering why Mighty #9 had a release date of 2015. I guess we know now :rolleyes: As I mentioned earlier, Inafune was already working on another game before these recent 2. So it's not just 2 games.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip*

Spiritual successors can be done by people who are fans of the original as it was with Paper Mario series, or by developers who want to do something different, but not entirely different to stuff they worked on in the past like Dark Souls.
This might be true, but Paper Mario was made by Intelligent Systems, not a fan group. And I understand the concept of reworking similar game making techniques, but give it a different makeover. Not a new Call of Duty, but Battlefield 3 modeled after that.
Capcom isn't involved in any of the games.

Well I guess they don't have to be if Mega Man isn't in the title.

I just think it's strange that a spirit successor to a Mario game would have Mario in its title, but Mega Man gets no such privilege. I guess not everyone can be weird like Nintendo.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be true, but Paper Mario was made by Intelligent Systems, not a fan group. And I understand the concept of reworking similar game making techniques, but give it a different makeover. Not a new Call of Duty, but Battlefield 3 modeled after that.
No, it is true.
Squaresoft made Super Mario RPG, Intelligent Systems made the spiritual successor which branched of into a spin-off series.

I just think it's strange that a spirit successor to a Mario game would have Mario in its title, but Mega Man gets no such privilege. I guess not everyone can be weird like Nintendo.
I just told you why.
It's not a difficult concept to understand, I have no idea why it's so problematic for you.
Your only defense is "BUT PAPER MARIO AND SUPER MARIO RPGS BOTH HAVE MARIO IN THEM!!!" That's only one example of a spiritual successor, there are plenty more that do not share the same IP.

Xenonauts to X-COM
Fallout to Wasteland
Rock Band to Guitar Hero
Bayonetta to Devil May Cry
Arma to Operation Flashpoint
Torchlight to Diablo

Just to name a few.

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infamune says he's directing this game and producing Mighty No. 9. I'm not sure what are the differences between game Directors and Producers, but in any case, there will be actual coders and designers under him for each project that will be doing most of the work that takes so much time. From some of the MN9 development vids, you see Infamune reviewing designs presented to him by the designers. I see no reason why he won't have time to oversee multiple projects unless you think the best way to manage is to micro-manage. One philosophy of running a company is to hire people that can do the work better than you and the only work you do yourself are the tasks that only you can best or uniquely do.

Reactions: jagerstaffel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.