In Windows, how do i replace multiple files with one file?

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm editing a game's texture files and i want a bunch of the textures to be the same as 1 texture, although renaming one texture to all of the textures will take way too long.
I once heard of a method where you can replace multiple files with one specific file, does it indeed exist and how do i do it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I would make a batch file, I don't know of any way you would be able to do it with the plain windows GUI.
If you need a list of file names to start with go to the command line and point it at the folder in question and run dir /b

After that I would use a spreadsheet to make the batch file
Copy /y yourfileyouwant.file filetobereplaced1.file
Copy /y yourfileyouwant.file filetobereplaced2.file
Copy /y yourfileyouwant.file filetobereplacedn.file

Option 2.
Relinking
In your game will be some files and a nice file system for you to do all this. Replace one texture and find the pointer and size thing for it. Copy that and paste that pointer and size value over everything else (hopefully it is not relative or offset or something silly).

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I would make a batch file, I don't know of any way you would be able to do it with the plain windows GUI.
If you need a list of file names to start with go to the command line and point it at the folder in question and run dir /b

After that I would use a spreadsheet to make the batch file
Copy /y yourfileyouwant.file filetobereplaced1.file
Copy /y yourfileyouwant.file filetobereplaced2.file
Copy /y yourfileyouwant.file filetobereplacedn.file

Option 2.
Relinking
In your game will be some files and a nice file system for you to do all this. Replace one texture and find the pointer and size thing for it. Copy that and paste that pointer and size value over everything else (hopefully it is not relative or offset or something silly).
I tried out the Windows Command Prompt method and it worked like a charm!
Thanks a bunch!

Fawfulthegreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made an app a few years back that supports drag & drop with multi-file replacement (PSP days) to make things a lot easier.
Hi so, i just used this program to replace every NPC in a game with one specific NPC, and it just replaced them with something that the game can't read and crashes. The hex data of the file is not that of the file I'm trying to replace them with, any reason for that? Thanks

edit: nvm i was just being an idiot. -_-

Last edited by Fawfulthegreat,

Xii-Nyth

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you are missing comdlg32. ocx download the latest version from online (160 kb) and place it in system32/syswow64
then run replace o matic as admin one time and it should open, and then to be able to drag in files dont run it as admin (idk why)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Wholesome, welcome