Impossible to play new games (semi-brick?)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by xpatate, Dec 13, 2011.

Dec 13, 2011
  1. xpatate
    OP

Newcomer xpatate Newbie

Canada
    Hi,
    I did not used my Wii for a long time. I recently installed a Wode and I can play only the old games. I'm pretty sure this is because I need to update the Wii firmware since I have a very old one. The problem is that 2 years ago, I installed a PAL firmware on my NTSC console... semi-brick...

Now, I cannot see the actual Wii firmware I run since I cannot enter the setup menu but if I remember correctly the firmware was installed out of mario paper game....

Today with my wode, I can play old games flawlessly but the minute I try new ones, I can see the game startup menu in the upper left corner but when I click start.... black screen...

Is there anyway I can install a new NTSC Wii firmware ??
    I read on the forum and I think there is a way to do it using the homebrew channel but I would like to avoid doing softmod to my Wii... any other ways ?

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    not as far as i know of unless it is soft modded. your very lucky you didn't get a full brick. messing with it with out having the proper protection.
    but you could try to reformat the wii system in the setting option. but then that could make it worse an give you a full brick to.. man you really messed that wii up..

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Just install HBC, and then use ModMii to install system menu 4.3 from the correct region. And in order to play import games, you might want to install priiloader. With that, you can play some of your import games from the disc channel, and block disc updates. That last part is important, because the pal system menu is considered an update on the us system menu, because it has a higher internal version nummer.

Never ever use that stupid format option!

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    What wiipower says. On a wii, "the firmware" is basically a bunch of IOS'es and a system menu. It's pretty easy to install if you follow a decent guide (modmii). And yes, it's softmodding, and no, there isn't any other way (that I know of). But it won't interfere with your WODE in any way, if that's what you're getting at.

5. xpatate
    OP

Newcomer xpatate Newbie

Canada
    Thanks for the Info, I'll do the softmodding. I started to look at the ModMii and this look pretty easy, the only problem I have is that I don't know which firmware I currently have and I cannot access the option meun to determine it.... any other way to know it ?

thanks !

6. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    It should say in the recovery mode (hold + and - on the health screen while pressing A)

7. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    That is maintenance mode you just gave him instructions to get to... which does not help.

@OP, You could use a savemiifrii (google it, it requires modifying a gamecube controller), or instead you could just use the Smash Stack exploit to install HBC.

When your are in the modmii wiizard, tell it that your wii iz a virgin, and when it asks about the System Menu version, type "O" for "other", and then when it asks later tell it that you have Super Smash Brothers Brawl. That is the easiest way I can think of for you to get around this issue. You will obviously have to obtain SSBB one way or another, I suggest purchasing it.

8. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    That's maintenance mode, so it won't help.

If it's been two years, I'm guessing he can run Bannerbomb v2.

@OP: Do you see an SD card icon in the bottom left corner of your System Menu?

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Bottom left :P

10. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyBh6_qq8Ro&fmt=22

11. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    try booting some game like LoZ or any game that had exploit on it. Re-run hackmii using the exploit and softmod everything.

Just make sure that you pick a firmware version that is in NTSC and same Country Region (just check your Wii's serial number and google that code to identify your console's region) and reinstall proper System Menu.

as of new games. you need latest IOS installed on your Wii (4.3 IOS to be specific so new game will work just fine) even if you're still in oldest System Menu, it's just a matter of IOS anyway.

12. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    You are forgetting about the fact that since the OP can not enter into the SM settings, he can not get into data management, thus he can not copy over any save game exploits. So what you are saying does not help because you are forgetting about the other facts of the matter.

13. WiiPower

Germany
    Shouldn't Smash Stack be worth a try?
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Smash_Stack

14. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    I already suggested it in one of my earlier posts. But thank you for reinforcing what I said so the OP can know that my suggestion will be probably what helps him the easiest.

15. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    Is there somthing that speakes against simply updateing from disk with some new game?

16. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Honestly, I'm starting to lean towards the ides that anyone who wants to softmod should just do an official N update so they can mod their wii without having to use some disc based exploit.

17. WiiPower

Germany
    Sorry, i didn't read the full thread.

If he is at 4.3 PAL, can only "update" to 4.3 KOR. Also, if he is at 4.2, it will be completely region locked. But if it works, a disc with 4.3U should work as far as i see it. Which games have it?

18. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I wish he would answer my question about the SD card icon. He will not have to use a disc exploit at all if he can get BB2 working.

19. xpatate
    OP

Newcomer xpatate Newbie

Canada
    Hi *,

Thanks for the answers... after trying many differents exploits, I was finally able to install a new firmware starting with the Smash Stack exploit ! Right now, everything's working perfectly fine !! I just can't beleive that with all the techniques I tried, I did not bick my wii ;-)

softmodded + wode.... wow, I can do everything :-)