Hacking I’m new to this scene... and Completely lost

Do you use a flashcart for games or CFW or both?

• Flashcart

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • CFW

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 24 51.1%

• Total voters

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U3 is fine after you format in FAT32. It drops back down to using class 10. I know. I'm using one right now... so... this is where I get off before it turns into a reddit fight.

Good luck.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
U3 is fine after you format in FAT32. It drops back down to using class 10. I know. I'm using one right now... so... this is where I get off before it turns into a reddit fight.

Good luck.
You completely missed my point though. U3 cards cost more than U1 or Class 10 cards, and the speed makes no difference to the 3DS.
I don't believe the format (FAT32, in this case) should change the speed (maybe it is capped at Class 10 on FAT32; I'm not completely sure off the top of my head), but regardless, the 3DS does not support cards faster than U1 speeds (or maybe just Class 10 - I'm pretty sure the Wii U supports U1, at least), so what I'm saying is that buying a U3 card is excessive - you may as well spend less money and get a slower card since the speed difference makes pretty much no difference to the 3DS.
Hence why I said recommending a U3 card is unnecessary. This is about saving OP money, and your recommendation for an unnecessarily expensive card therefore makes no sense.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TCJJ Great post, but one slight correction: I don't think Boot9Strap is saved to the CTRNAND, I think it is saved to the Boot9 ROM (if that is possible, I'm not sure), which does not get touched by a System Memory Format. This is why B9S cannot be removed with a system format Because I am certain that a system format wipes all apps that are saved on CTRNAND (i.e. pre-installed apps), and then re-installs them from a recovery partition/folder. I'm not sure, but I believe the 1 GB folder I see in GodMode9, contains these recovery files.

CrispyCola

zero-two
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TCJJ Great post, but one slight correction: I don't think Boot9Strap is saved to the CTRNAND, I think it is saved to the Boot9 ROM (if that is possible, I'm not sure), which does not get touched by a System Memory Format. This is why B9S cannot be removed with a system format Because I am certain that a system format wipes all apps that are saved on CTRNAND (i.e. pre-installed apps), and then re-installs them from a recovery partition/folder. I'm not sure, but I believe the 1 GB folder I see in GodMode9, contains these recovery files.

ROM = Read Only Memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM = Read Only Memory

Hmm, I knew someone was going to bring that up. Well, anyway, the exploit is called Boot9 STRAP, so if it cannot be saved to the Boot9 ROM, I imagine it is being saved to a chip or memory that is closely connected to the Boot9 ROM, but not on the CTRNAND.

CrispyCola

zero-two
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I knew someone was going to bring that up. Well, anyway, the exploit is called Boot9 STRAP, so if it cannot be saved to the Boot9 ROM, I imagine it is being saved to a chip or memory that is closely connected to the Boot9 ROM, but not on the CTRNAND.

You win, that was the only conclusion that I could come up with is that boot9strap sort of attaches itself to a different memory region that the boot9 checks to see is good or not, but b9s exploits those checks. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

Reactions: goldensun87

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You win, that was the only conclusion that I could come up with is that boot9strap sort of attaches itself to a different memory region that the boot9 checks to see is good or not, but b9s exploits those checks. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

Nope, I don't know any better than that. I tried Googling, but couldn't find any answer. There is a Powerpoint presentation that explains how Sighax/Boot9Strap works, but I'm not sure if it mentions where the exploit is saved.

Eruvala

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This guide https://3ds.hacks.guide left me confused since it says NOT to manually install ntr boot with my R4I Gold Plus, which makes sense because it has its own toggle function to switch between modes, but it doesn't offer an alternative / a path for installing, well really anything with a card that comes "pre-installed" with thr flash function. I read till the end anyway to see if the pieces would all come together but to be honest I am more lost now then when I started. Here is what I have:
A 2DS XL on 11.5 software, a 16 gb micro sd (empty), a 32 gb micro sd (empty), the standard 4 gb micro sd that comes with the 2ds xl and finally the R4i Gold Plus cartridge.

I understand one is not meant to ask for hand holding but if I read the gude and have been warned not to trust you tube then what more can I do? I just tried simply switching my cartridge to ntr boot mode and held the magnet for sleep mode, booted the device holding the right buttons but it stayed in sleep mode and when I moved magnet its just the regular boot menu.

Please help if you can guys.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You just need to open the cart, flip the switch, then follow the guide to installing B9S via NTRBoot. Once you have B9S and Luma3DS installed, you just need to open the cart again and flip the switch back.

Eruvala

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You just need to open the cart, flip the switch, then follow the guide to installing B9S via NTRBoot. Once you have B9S and Luma3DS installed, you just need to open the cart again and flip the switch back.

So I should stick the 4gb card IN the 2ds xl and the 16 gb card in the cartridge, flick the switch to NTRBoot and then attempt to boot using the magnet and start + select + X ?
edit: That is my best guess as the tutorial guide isn't precise and assumes I am not stupid, but unfortunately I am. I really don't wanna brick

Last edited by Eruvala,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So I should stick the 4gb card IN the 2ds xl and the 16 gb card in the cartridge, flick the switch to NTRBoot and then attempt to boot using the magnet and start + select + X ?
edit: That is my best guess as the tutorial guide isn't precise and assumes I am not stupid, but unfortunately I am. I really don't wanna brick
You don't need a microSD in the R4i Gold Plus to use NTRBoot. You just need to flick the switch to N, make sure all the files needed for NTRBoot to work is on the root of the SD card for your 3DS, then follow through with booting into NTRBoot

Eruvala

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nothing seems to work. Regular boot does nothing, magnet boot does nothing. All just leads to main menu.

Attachments

• sadfsce.png
    sadfsce.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 69

Eruvala

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you trying to boot the card using that?

*Anyways, switch your card over to ntrboot and follow https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(ntrboot) that.

I am trying to flash it atm with flash mode switched on my r4i gold plus. Trying the magnet boot was just out of desperation thinking maybe the instructions assume when they tell you to start your system its meant to do it that way. It says nothing about installing stuff on the 3ds's micro sd in order to flash it so I am simpling trying to flash the system with its sd card in place using the NTRBoot mode on my cartridge but its simply not displaying a menu like it said it would in the instructions :/

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am trying to flash it atm with flash mode switched on my r4i gold plus. Trying the magnet boot was just out of desperation thinking maybe the instructions assume when they tell you to start your system its meant to do it that way. It says nothing about installing stuff on the 3ds's micro sd in order to flash it so I am simpling trying to flash the system with its sd card in place using the NTRBoot mode on my cartridge but its simply not displaying a menu like it said it would in the instructions :/
its already flashed with ntrboot tho, you switch it on, and continue with installing b9s

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You do not need to flash it, you just need to flip the switch and the cart will be in NTRBoot mode.

Eruvala

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
upload_2018-9-4_2-24-51.png

Just tried booting with magnet after you guys said ntr is already done (no visual give away?) with the correct formatting to the systems micro sd and still nothing. Sorry I know you guys are probably annoyed by how bad I am at this

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

/v/ pointed you towards reddit? Huh.

More importantly, why are you going to 4chan for help?

some of the boards aren't as bad as one may think, although /v/ is questionable... I guess it was mostly desperation haha
edit: To test if the flashcarts the issue I switched it to regular mode and booted up the 2ds xl to see if an icon would appear and its blank. Is it meant to be blank cause if not its just not being read at all...

Last edited by Eruvala,

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are you holding the button combination too while booting with the magnet?
Basically what you need to do is, with the console powered on, find a spot where the magnet triggers sleep mode, then power down the console, place the magnet in the spot you found, hold Start, Select and X, and while you're holding them, press and hold the power button and continue holding everything for a few seconds until SafeB9SInstaller loads up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.