i'm learning japanese, sharing what i'm learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solarsaturn9

test84 said:
I was solving an exercise from Genki and I got a problem with Katakana:
how do you write these in Katakana: (I was going to write my name)
Ai
Di
Gh
Dr
with katakana? (seperately)

Ai = ??
for Di it depends on the pronunciation of the word it is being used in
(ex: Dai sound as in Diagonal, or Di as in Digital, etc... )
for the Dee sound = ??
for Gh it depends on the pronunciation of the word it is being used in
(ex: ghost, and ghastly would be written using different Katakana, ???? and ????? )
for the Dr sound it depends as well
(ex: Drain and Drama.... ???? and ??? )
in general for Dr it would be ? followed by an R/L sounding katakana ( ????????? )

You cant really write out two letters and assign them katakana because it depends on what the context of the letters. Katakana is an alphabet to either emphasize words originally from the Japanese language or to write foreign loan words like ????? ( arubaito ) which means a part time job coming from the German word Arbeiter ( ? not sure how to spell the German word )

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
solarsaturn9 said:
You cant really write out two letters and assign them katakana because it depends on what the context of the letters. Katakana is an alphabet to either emphasize words originally from the Japanese language or to write foreign loan words like ????? ( arubaito ) which means a part time job coming from the German word Arbeiter ( ? not sure how to spell the German word )

I tried to tell him that
wink.gif

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
solarsaturn9 said:

I tried to tell him that
wink.gif

Well, that said there are two footnotes:
A) It's English romaji that's irregular, not katakana (that was unclear from the posts). Katakana is super regular (that's why, as I said elsewhere, it's easier for me to read katakana Bangla as opposed to romanized Bangla).

B) If you live here, katakana is for a lot of different reasons; some people like signing their names in katakana because it's the easiest to write (an ex was like this). It is often used in novels and mail to not to emphasize, but to break up would otherwise be a long string of hiragana.

S

solarsaturn9

kikuchiyo said:
thebobevil said:
solarsaturn9 said:

I tried to tell him that
wink.gif

Well, that said there are two footnotes:
A) It's English romaji that's irregular, not katakana (that was unclear from the posts). Katakana is super regular (that's why, as I said elsewhere, it's easier for me to read katakana Bangla as opposed to romanized Bangla).

B) If you live here, katakana is for a lot of different reasons; some people like signing their names in katakana because it's the easiest to write (an ex was like this). It is often used in novels and mail to not to emphasize, but to break up would otherwise be a long string of hiragana.

I can dig that. Katakana for names is also easier to read because sometimes handwriting + kanji = chicken scratch..... sometimes even native speakers have a hard time reading chicken scratch kanji =P

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can dig that. Katakana for names is also easier to read because sometimes handwriting + kanji = chicken scratch..... sometimes even native speakers have a hard time reading chicken scratch kanji =P
[/quote]

I totally understand. I can't read my mom's writing alot of the time. I prefer big, bubbly hiragana and kanji rather than "caligraphy"-looking words.

Jarvik7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Raisingod said:
The reason they picked tsu was that there is no partical that you write as tsu.

Basicly the reason for its exsitense was that the japanese realized that in a syllabary system you cant write long consonants and since japanese use it there was a need to add this to the writing language , this need only arrouse as katakana(as it was intreduced as an official writing system before hiragana { used by females only at that time}) became an official writing system . The problem was that by the time that katakana was considered an official writing language the common solution was to write a tsu to indicate a long consonants fallows .

It probably would have been different if it was up to the administration to decide what to use to indicate that.

That's some nice reasoning, but it's wrong. It was written as a ? and later as ? because the ? sound is what normally triggers a geminate in compound words. Take for example these:

?? ????????=??????? (this also undergoes ??)
????????????
???????????????????

The premodern writers were simply writing out the separate ???? for each ?? with the ?? shorthand. The shrinking of it to ? is a much later development.

I haven't taken the time to search my ???? but I have an inkling that ?? lacks geminate sounds altogether and that they are a carryover from Chinese. Any/most exceptions to the above are probably a result of borrowing/coining after the use of ? was established as general practice for geminates. There are many other examples of pre-modern ?? usage not being phonetic by sticking very closely to the grammar. Japanese grammar actually became less logical (in that much was hidden) due to the ???? & post-WWII reformations that made reading itself simpler.

Keep in mind that Japanese never had an "official standard" of any sort until the late 19th century. The closest thing would be writing in classical Chinese, which was what was used for official documents of state for the majority of Japan's history. Writing in the vernacular (aka Japanese) was the reserve of bored aristocratic women and poets up until the ????, at which point some ?? started writing fiction. The writing of Japanese varied widely person to person (see "hentaigana" on wikipedia or similar for one example).

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Jarvik7 said:
Raisingod said:
The reason they picked tsu was that there is no partical that you write as tsu.

Basicly the reason for its exsitense was that the japanese realized that in a syllabary system you cant write long consonants and since japanese use it there was a need to add this to the writing language , this need only arrouse as katakana(as it was intreduced as an official writing system before hiragana { used by females only at that time}) became an official writing system . The problem was that by the time that katakana was considered an official writing language the common solution was to write a tsu to indicate a long consonants fallows .

It probably would have been different if it was up to the administration to decide what to use to indicate that.

That's some nice reasoning, but it's wrong. It was written as a ? and later as ? because the ? sound is what normally triggers a geminate in compound words. Take for example these:

?? ????????=??????? (this also undergoes ??)
????????????
???????????????????

The premodern writers were simply writing out the separate ???? for each ?? with the ?? shorthand. The shrinking of it to ? is a much later development.

I haven't taken the time to search my ???? but I have an inkling that ?? lacks geminate sounds altogether and that they are a carryover from Chinese. Any/most exceptions to the above are probably a result of borrowing/coining after the use of ? was established as general practice for geminates. There are many other examples of pre-modern ?? usage not being phonetic by sticking very closely to the grammar. Japanese grammar actually became less logical (in that much was hidden) due to the ???? & post-WWII reformations that made reading itself simpler.

Keep in mind that Japanese never had an "official standard" of any sort until the late 19th century. The closest thing would be writing in classical Chinese, which was what was used for official documents of state for the majority of Japan's history. Writing in the vernacular (aka Japanese) was the reserve of bored aristocratic women and poets up until the ????, at which point some ?? started writing fiction. The writing of Japanese varied widely person to person (see "hentaigana" on wikipedia or similar for one example).

My old japanese teacher reasoning not mine but thanks for the explantion.

Helix94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you guys type in these characters? Is there some type of English AND Japanese keyboard?

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Helix94 said:
How do you guys type in these characters? Is there some type of English AND Japanese keyboard?

as far as i know, the japanese use a keyboard with the english lettering as well
tongue.gif
for windows you can install the japanese language pack which will allow you to write out the romaji in word or another program and it will change it into characters as you type it.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Vidboy10 said:
A person from Iran wants to learn Japanese?
What a small world.
Because people from Iran can't have the same interest as other people around the world right? Their only interest should be bellydancing yea?
smile.gif

(note the sarcasm)

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Digeman said:
Vidboy10 said:
A person from Iran wants to learn Japanese?
What a small world.
Because people from Iran can't have the same interest as other people around the world right?
They can.
Just I find it awkward how somebody in the middle east could Like japan.
And having a member from Iran on the Temp is kinda awkward when you think about it.

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jarvik7 said:

Never studies classical japanese, but I'm pretty sure sure gemination existed long before modern times in Japanese. E.g. when conjugating verbs, like kiru -> kitta. Unless I'm misunderstanding you..

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
topic is yours?
QUOTE said:
And having a member from Iran on the Temp is kinda awkward when you think about it.
how would it be awkward?

OmerMe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
iPikachu said:
topic is yours?
QUOTE said:
how would it be awkward?
Haven't you heard? Everyone in the middle east live in the desert, rides on a camel, lives in a tent and does nothing but smoke and trade women.

Or whatever people think about the middle east.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1