I'm (kinda) new here!

drsleep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys!

Tbh I don't really know why I just now created my account here since I'm using this forum since the start of 3DS hacking. I just didn't really want to write something, but here I am now.

I'm pretty active when it comes to switch hacking and developing my own projects. My personal problem is that I start waaaay more projects than I finish. I guess I'm more of a creative guy than a worker :lol:

Things I'm looking forward to right now are a proper, noob-friendly Manjaro-i3wm setup for the switch (which would be perfect for emulation and media), and a wifi screen recorder for Horizon (which should also work in handheld mode, is free, and ideally easy to set up and use). I guess some day I'll stop being lazy and start working on them.

Until then you'll see me in the forum responding to whatever I see there.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey guys!

Tbh I don't really know why I just now created my account here since I'm using this forum since the start of 3DS hacking. I just didn't really want to write something, but here I am now.

I'm pretty active when it comes to switch hacking and developing my own projects. My personal problem is that I start waaaay more projects than I finish. I guess I'm more of a creative guy than a worker :lol:

Things I'm looking forward to right now are a proper, noob-friendly Manjaro-i3wm setup for the switch (which would be perfect for emulation and media), and a wifi screen recorder for Horizon (which should also work in handheld mode, is free, and ideally easy to set up and use). I guess some day I'll stop being lazy and start working on them.

Until then you'll see me in the forum responding to whatever I see there.
Android is probably better for emulation and media since it's designed for touchscreens. Anyway welcome.

drsleep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Android is probably better for emulation

I strongly have to disagree with you there. My personal arch-i3 setup uses about 50MB of RAM idle, whereas Lineage OS easily uses 1.5GB. On top of that, most emulators run a lot better on Manjaro than on Android anyway (even on ARM processors since you have pacman on arch).

When it comes to media, you're probably right. Although I don't really see why people would use their switch as a media device while away when they have to use their Android to boot it up in the first place. And if you want to use it at docked at home Android has no benefits whatsoever (aside from initial setup of course).

So if you want a portable media device and for some reason don't want to use your phone, Android is right for you. If you want a strong emulation machine for your TV and don't care for a longer, forum-guide-driven install, Manjaro-i3wm should be your choice.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I strongly have to disagree with you there. My personal arch-i3 setup uses about 50MB of RAM idle, whereas Lineage OS easily uses 1.5GB. On top of that, most emulators run a lot better on Manjaro than on Android anyway (even on ARM processors since you have pacman on arch).

When it comes to media, you're probably right. Although I don't really see why people would use their switch as a media device while away when they have to use their Android to boot it up in the first place. And if you want to use it at docked at home Android has no benefits whatsoever (aside from initial setup of course).

So if you want a portable media device and for some reason don't want to use your phone, Android is right for you. If you want a strong emulation machine for your TV and don't care for a longer, forum-guide-driven install, Manjaro-i3wm should be your choice.
Well that's what dongles are for ;) Injecting with a dongle is really convenient and only takes a couple seconds. Also if you are in CFW you can just reboot normally holding - to boot into Hekate, swap out the SD if needed, and launch the Android boot entry. No need to inject again. Same when switching back from Android to HOS, rebooting will boot into Hekate as long as you have the reboot2payload update installed.
But true, I do always have my Android phone nearby and the Switch's screen isn't actually much bigger, it just appears bigger due to the fat black borders. It's just a bit nicer to hold than my phone, and the built in stand is convenient for video watching. I could see myself using it for video watching a lot if there was a good native HOS video player but otherwise it seems like a lot of hassle for a marginally larger screen size.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game