Hacking Im desperate; USB loader gx-Stacy

Goatsie666

Head Smithy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. Im Stacy. Im new to this wii hack dealio. I have modded my wii with letterbomb. I have homebrew channel, some emulators, roms. But I want to load back up copies of my wii and gamecube games. I have a usb loader. I have tried to format it several different ways. Ive heard i need fat32 with a 32kb partition. Ive used wbfs manager, wii backup loader, wii backup fusion, and several others to format. My wii wont detect the usb drive until i use FAT32 format (a program). Then I finally get it to recognise my 80 gig external hard drive. So i take it out and try to use wii back up manager to put a .wia file wii game on there, resident evil 4 wii version. It doesnt work. Then i try skylanders trap team which is a .wbfs format. this allows me to put the .wbfs on the external drive, but then usb loader cant find it again on my wii. Im now going to try an iso format. this is very frusterating. if anyone can help me and step by step tell me how to put wii games and gamecube games onto my external hard drive, and have the wii recognise it then play them thru usb loader gx and dios mio, id be ever so grateful. Help a chick out. Please. Thankee! My email address is [email protected]

Im even willing to pay someone via paypal 10 bucks. Thanks.

Respectfully,
Stacy Chaliman.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
The recommended drive format is FAT32 32KB clusters as you probably know by now, the 32KB setup is the best for DM but it's also useful for a few troublesome Wii games.

The Wii image format for FAT32 is .wbfs, why? It supports splitting. A single layered Wii game can be up to 4.36 GB but FAT32 only supports 3.99 GB, so if your image is an .iso then you need to convert to .wbfs otherwise your game won't fit. As for .wia I'm pretty sure this is a compression format for storing and nothing else.

The common path for Wii games is:
/wbfs/name [game id6]/game id6.wbfs

e.g. /wbfs/Another Code [ROLE01]/ROLE01.wbfs
And if it needs splitting: ROLE01.wbf1

For GC:
/games/name [game id6]/game.iso

e.g. /games/Sonic R [GXEE8P]/game.iso
If there's a second disc then: disc2.iso

That's how I have it setup for USB Loader GX. You didn't mention having a cIOS, I imagine you're using d2x.
For GC games I would recommend Devolution, as it has the best game compatibility, for the few games it fails playing either correctly or at all then there's Nintendont. There's always DM but I would not use it anymore, it's old and limited in features.

There's a program called Wii Backup Manager that simplifies the process but is not needed; all you have to do is copy or move the wbfs file to the path being read by the loader.

Best thing you could try is read around, some guides are outdated but once things make sense it should be fairly simple to figure out why something doesn't work. But pretty much a harddrive, cios and loader is all you need to make it work; for GC games a clean IOS58 is needed instead of cIOS, unless of course it's DM which works in GC mode and requires the official GC booter(MIOS) to be replaced.

Goatsie666

Head Smithy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The recommended drive format is FAT32 32KB clusters as you probably know by now, the 32KB setup is the best for DM but it's also useful for a few troublesome Wii games.

The Wii image format for FAT32 is .wbfs, why? It supports splitting. A single layered Wii game can be up to 4.36 GB but FAT32 only supports 3.99 GB, so if your image is an .iso then you need to convert to .wbfs otherwise your game won't fit. As for .wia I'm pretty sure this is a compression format for storing and nothing else.

The common path for Wii games is:
/wbfs/name [game id6]/game id6.wbfs

e.g. /wbfs/Another Code [ROLE01]/ROLE01.wbfs
And if it needs splitting: ROLE01.wbf1

For GC:
/games/name [game id6]/game.iso

e.g. /games/Sonic R [GXEE8P]/game.iso
If there's a second disc then: disc2.iso

That's how I have it setup for USB Loader GX. You didn't mention having a cIOS, I imagine you're using d2x.
For GC games I would recommend Devolution, as it has the best game compatibility, for the few games it fails playing either correctly or at all then there's Nintendont. There's always DM but I would not use it anymore, it's old and limited in features.

There's a program called Wii Backup Manager that simplifies the process but is not needed; all you have to do is copy or move the wbfs file to the path being read by the loader.

thank u for answering. my question is, ca i just use the file system on my computer to put the games on if the wii will recognize it? or do i need the wii back up manager? and do i put the cIOS on the sd card? this is so frusterating.

Stacy

Best thing you could try is read around, some guides are outdated but once things make sense it should be fairly simple to figure out why something doesn't work. But pretty much a harddrive, cios and loader is all you need to make it work; for GC games a clean IOS58 is needed instead of cIOS, unless of course it's DM which works in GC mode and requires the official GC booter(MIOS) to be replaced.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
ca i just use the file system on my computer to put the
games on if the wii will recognize it? or do i need the wii back up manager? and do i put the cIOS
on the sd card? this is so frusterating.
Yes, like I said, Wii Backup Manager is for managing and converting the games it is not needed. You need to look into d2x cios, Wii games won't load without it.

Reactions: Goatsie666

Goatsie666

Head Smithy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, like I said, Wii Backup Manager is for managing and converting the games it is not needed. You need to look into d2x cios, Wii games won't load without it.

ok, thanks so much, boys. i got everything transferred to my external hard drive and now i can play wii games. now how do i play gamecube games?

Goatsie666

Head Smithy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hello. Ill pay 10 bucks to you via paypal if u can help. im trying to transfer everything to my hard disc drive from my sd card. im going to try it that way. when i try to install. please help. at first it was working. playing wii games. now it wont recognize the hdd again. i added some stuff. why is it doing this? do i have to constantly reformat it?

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
What part of the process made the Wii no longer recognize the drive?

There are a few gamecube backup solutions. Once you get it recognizing your drive again, give Nintendon't a try.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

Kind of like with the USB loader stuff, different gamecube backup software requires the files to be in very specific locations and named very specific things.

There are some tutorials on GBAtemp, some have broken images though.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-play-ngc-backups-on-the-wii.293854/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-play-gamecube-games-off-a-usb-hdd.329628/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-p...s-from-sd-or-usb-using-dios-mios-lite.318585/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr