Illegal UK film downloads up by 30%

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by shakirmoledina, Jul 7, 2011.

1. shakirmoledina
    OP

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    I first remembered the reasons posted on temp for piracy. I see, I see, a piracy justification discussion below.
    Source

2. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    lol its gone up 30% because they started checking

3. dickfour

dickfour Banned

Banned
    Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    What a load of crap, a 170million pounds lost. The question is how many of those films would actually been sold and can they show a drop in sales corresponding directly to the rise in piracy. If you look at the garbage the movie puts out these days like the transformers making record profits it's hard to make the piracy argument when you're puling in more cash that ever.

4. purplesludge

purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

Mar 2, 2009
    United States
    wv
    Paid for research probably 100% legit.

5. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    When it takes several months for content to arrive in the UK, like new episodes Fox Animated Sitcoms, that have no translation, hell, why do you think shit is being illegally downloaded?

To my knowledge season 6 of Futurama STILL hasn't reached the UK.

6. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Yeah thats true. I had to resort to -ahem- somehow getting it....

7. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Cinemas here are shit quality unless you want to pay extra for the so called "Digital" or "HD" seats. The sound in most are crap and this is in big named places like Odeon! Also all the none blockbuster films tend to only get showings for a week.

I'd love to buy the films on DVD etc but they're leaked so early.

As for TV well its just more convenient for me to download, to get most US content you need to have most of the premium channels and wait for the late hours just to see them with bits cut out so they can insert more adverts in.

8. dicamarques

dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    Your computer's Recycle Bin
    Not only on uk, here in portugal it takes ages to sometimes get some new episodes

9. Zetta_x

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    I have an idea, how about you charge $1,000 per DVD then say you lost over 10 billion pounds. How about this, DVDs are cheaper then shit, sell DVD's with movies on them for about $3 a piece and you will see a dramatic increase on profit.

10. pistone

pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2010
    Albania
    in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    so now its 130% [​IMG]

11. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    You're a dumbass. There's heck of a lot of stuff that needs to be paid off on a movie and a lot of royalties for the music etc. This is what means that DVDs start off with an RRP of £16 it has nothing to do with them being greedy (well they do have to make a profit but still).

12. Panzer Tacticer

Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Right Here
    ""We've seen increases in technology like faster broadband," he said.

"The methods of piracy have become easier, with quicker downloads and easier to find content.

"We have a generation online now who aren't really bothered about downloading things illegally."

I could have told them that 5 years ago, and told them for free.

I'm not reeeeeeeally all that internet smart. But when you consider downloading is basically google name + the word torrents or newsindexer + newshosting service plus whatever it is you are looking for and then telling the computer to download it. Well I could literally train a chimp to download my tv shows.