Hacking If you've installed a chip, post here!

NMorgan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am about to purchase a Wiinja from modchipman, but before I do this, I want to know everybody's opinions of the Wiinja versus the Wiikey. Of course I've read plenty about both, but want to hear a few people's first hand opinions. I understand that people usually go with with one chip OR the other (not both) so most people here can't compare the two first hand. However, if you have purchased and installed either the Wiinja or the Wiikey please post your findings here!

Also what is the best place to buy a chip? So far it looks like I'm going with modchipman but I'd love to hear any suggestions and feedback regarding the retailers, shipping times, prices, etc.

Please only post if you have purchased and installed the chip yourself. I am looking for first hand experience here. THANKS.

-Nick

Velius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed the wiikey and it doesnt work right now. I cant get it to eject any disk at all and it cant read the GCN disk inside.

Edit:Found my problem. Lousy soldering so a wire broke off. and a connector to the DVD drive was taken off that can be plugged back in. All are fixable.

smid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wiikey installed. Works great with all the (7) games I've tested.
I've tried them on both Verbatim +RW and Taiyo Yuden -R and both work great. I'm very happy with the chip... works better than I thought it would.

Foxstar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I installed a wiinja V2. Installation was easy, worked first time no problems. I use to chip xbox's and gamecube's though. Verbatims had DRE with me, not many but a few, they were old discs though. I bought some Vertex ones which worked for Gamecube and they work perfectly for the wii, NO DRE's anymore. Cheers

jamezco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Juz installed my WiiKey on the Wii using wires ... recommended to use wires rather than quick solder ...

tested Zelda on the Wii on imation disc at 4x burning speed... no problems at all

what2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought and had my wiikey installed in a shop. so far the games are working great. For gc games I was able to use my really cheap dvdrs (18cents ea) but for wii games I had to use benq/sony/vertabim (38cents ea) or I got dres.

damn the technician in the shop was so good, he got my wii with wiikey up and running in just about 20mins. quicksolder was done in like a blink of the eye :wtf:

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
use wires inbetween the chip and the board, it makes it easy to remove... snip the wires, and it's out. with quick solder, it can prove difficult to get off, since your having to heat the pad, pull up on that corner, heat the next pad, pull up on that corner, ect...

NMorgan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use wires inbetween the chip and the board, it makes it easy to remove... snip the wires, and it's out. with quick solder, it can prove difficult to get off, since your having to heat the pad, pull up on that corner, heat the next pad, pull up on that corner, ect...
Use a desoldering iron......it's basically the same thing as a soldering iron except uses a suction to suck away melted solder. However, you are right, it would be much more conveniant to remove it if you used wires.......an easy snip and bye bye goes the chip.

Thanks for your responses so far. I think I'm going to stick with the Wiinja, although I think they are both pretty much exactly the same in what they can do.

-Nick

pipesfranco

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have had both and they both work fine, but the upgrade feature of the wiikey plus the compatibility of RW discs, so you can try pal/ntsc conversions without wasting valuable verbatims is a god send.

I like Wiinja, but I would go for the Wiikey, they know what they are doing from the word go and it aint that much harder to install.

If you can solder to one small pad you can solder to all!

Wiinja deluxe of course supports the above but I havnt seen it in action.

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have Wiinja v2 and have burned about 8 wii and 3 gc games. I use TDK dvd-r's and have never had a sinlge DRE
biggrin.gif

frendly5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just installed to wiikeys via wire/quicksolder method from wiinewz front page a couple days ago. Got both back together, tried one of the 25 games I've already burned on my favorite ps2 blank media. Not a single one worked...
blink.gif

But the setup disc worked which led me to believe it was the media.

Got some Ritek and burned 8x. Worked no problem. No DREs.

Just burnt 25 coasters
hate2.gif

But Better than bricking my wii's
lecture.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxitjYqUexI