QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, what do you guys feel are the things that you just must have to go with your Cyclo?

Homebrew:
Emulators:
Games:
SDHC cards**:
Slot 2: Optional

Please respond with more than just one word statements, you dont have to have answers for every category but if you do answer then please, be informative and helpful. I'm trying to do extensive research on the matter and am working to prepare my files for when I order my own Cyclo, I need to make sure that my opinions match up with the majorities.

Also, if you cant recommend anything then what homebrew, emulators, games, cards and slot 2's would you have me avoid.

I'm using a DSPHAT but plan on getting a lite.

**I've browsed about 12 online stores for Micro SDHC Cards but now I need to hear it from people who own and use the cards every day with their Cyclo.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew: Oh, where to start there's so much good brew. Moonshell, DSOrganize, LMP, Exploader...
Emulators: nesDS, SNEmulDS (although I can't get it working), I don't use picodrive, but I hear it's good.
Games: What do you like? Mario Kart, Final Fantasy VII...
SDHC Cards: Transcend 4GB uSDHC class-6 (A-data version is good too)
Slot 2: EZ V 3-in-1 Expansion
Does that answer anything?

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Homebrew:
PocketPhysics
Moonshell
Imageviewer
GBAExploader
Colors!
DSOrganize

Emulators:
Lameboy
SnemulDS

Games:
Depends on which genre you like, you decide.

SD/SDHC card:
Japanese Kingston 4gb class 4/6

Slot-2:
Of course, EzFlash 3 in 1 expansion pack

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew: DSorganize, Comicbook DS

Homebrew Games: ApmlituDS, Tyrian

Emulators: NesDS, Lameboy(don't even mess with SNES emulators, they're not that great yet)

Games: I finally started Advance Wars Days of Ruin last night. I'm having a blast with it. This category is really up to you. You know what you like. Like me, I'm really into shmups and platformers. So Nanostray 1&2 I love. Plus New Super Mario, Yoshi Island DS, Super Princess Peach, etc. Also Kirby Canvas Curse is one of my favorites. I haven't started it yet, but I'm sure the new The World Ends With You is going to be kick ass.

SDHC: I don't own one

Slot 2: I would recommend a dedicated slot 2, not something like the EZ 3in1. You have to put the GBA games on your Evo if you want to use the 3 in 1, so that's taking away space from your DS games and homebrew. I suggest getting the M3 Lite Perfect(it has real time saving, real time clock, plus get a 1gb microsd and you'll hold a ton of GBA games). It's the best slot 2 out there, in my opinion. G6 Lite is the second best(again, in my opinion). But the EZ 3in1 is good if you don't mind holding your GBA games on your slot 1 and it's cheaper than the ones I mentioned. It just depends how big you are into GBA games.

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use a dedicated slot 2 then the GBA games use actual size like 32mbit 64mbit and those cards are only like 2gbit which would make for only a couple roms depending on their size... but if you put them in the evo is only uses file size, such as 4mb 12mb, which means you could put a whole lot more gba stuff in your slot1... and if you have sdhc, I dont think it would be a problem... Im not sure if I explained that correctly but I hope someone out there understood.. (:wtf:)

::EDIT:: ofcourse I was only referring to set space slot 2s like a G6 lite.. not ones that use sd memory...

Rebound

Trophies
XP
Country
Games: Too many to list, Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing
Homebrew: Animanate, BeUp
homebrew Games: WheeDS, AmplituDS, meteora
SDHC: Sandisk 4gb SDHC (no problems so far)
Emulator: SenumlDS

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
ceelo, im with you with this one.
Dedicated Slot-2 carts arent necessarily useful when it comes to saving space because it can only flash/utilize 1 rom at a time. The 3-in-1 can use 2 at the same time; PSRAM(Pseudo-static RAM) mode and the NOR mode.
Its cool because you can boot straight away on slot-2 with a game stored in it or run the GBAExploader to run some other game.

I'd rather recommend a larger slot-1 SD card (SDHC) to store the gba roms than a dedicated one.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard SDHC draws more power, therefore less battery life? Is this true? I plan to get a CycloDS so need to get informed. And sorry for hijacking your thread for one question.
tongue.gif

PigVenus

Trophies
XP
Country
Anakir said:
I heard SDHC draws more power, therefore less battery life? Is this true? I plan to get a CycloDS so need to get informed. And sorry for hijacking your thread for one question.
tongue.gif

I doubt that the power draw difference is even noticeable. The differences would be much greater for the different flashcard implementations.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
And for long travels or no time to charge your console, you can always get a spare battery or the charging grip we have here, in Best Buy... Precharge it and if the DS runs out, attach the grip, and power comes back, that makes 16hours of gameplay....
smile.gif

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Homebrew: Just Moonshell
Emulators: Just SnemulDS (not working with all games I've tested)
Games: Zelda Mario Yoshi FFIV ect. (I had about 31 games on it)
SDHC cards**: 1 x 4GB SANDISK MICRO SDHC
( No problems whatsoever) As I said in a previous thread I am very happy with it.

Slot 2: No - Well GBA Flash Card?

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was in your boat about a year ago, so here is what I've learned:

When getting your CycloDS Evo, check out www.realhotstuff.com. They are the cheapest place I've found (and I've looked everywhere). Last week I ordered 2 more of the new black CycloDS Evos and they were $51 each and I got them in 3 days with standard shipping. And if you type in the coupon code: SAVES, you get an additional 5% off. Pretty good!

As far a microsd goes, I switch between a Scandisk 4gb and 8gb microsdhc and they both run flawlessly on every game I've ever tried (which is most of them). When purchasing it, check out www.meritline.com. They consistently have the best prices I've ever seen. Last week I ordered a Scandisk 8gb microsdhc for $62 w/free shipping and got it in 2 days!

I haven't delved into the whole slot 2 thing yet, so I can only speak about the slot 1 needs. Hope this helps.

Zulithe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't delved into any homebrew stuff yet. i imagine I will soon. As for games, most any rpg or strategy rpg game is up my alley! Also any Nintendo 1st party titles are usually huge winners.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-