Hardware Ideas for Wii U controller uses

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, we've all seen the demos from E3 where they showed us some pretty neat uses for the tablet in games, such as the golf ball, being able to play multiplayer games that would be impossible otherwise due to screen-looking and using the controller as an input for text, designs etc.

I like to know what other unique concepts you can come up with using this controller.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Point and click games/Adventure/Detective style games.

Honestly the Wii U controller I reckon can be highly beneficial for enhancing gameplay and puzzles. You could simply use the stylus and play it as a normal point and click game. Or it could act as a magnifying glass.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's good for serving drinks to guests.

But in all seriousness, I'd just see it for menus or, if a RTS ever takes off on the system, some type of interesting touch based RTS. I mean it can basically be as accurate and quick as a mouse so there's no reason why we wouldn't have a RTS.

Otherwise I found the best uses for a touchscreen are for mapping buttons that wouldn't fit well on the controller but seeing as the Wii U has all the basic buttons, that probably won't be an option.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well it'd be the end of decent skill in fighting games if they added a seperate shortcut on the touch screen for every Combo and Finisher.

That's a simple problem to overcome.

Mode 1: Pussy casual mode for people who are too shit to learn combos.

Mode 2: Playing the game PROPERLY without needing the game casualized for them.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Well it'd be the end of decent skill in fighting games if they added a seperate shortcut on the touch screen for every Combo and Finisher.

Thats if the developer releases two seperate modes for a Casual and a Non Casual audience.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Thats if the developer releases two seperate modes for a Casual and a Non Casual audience.

Don't worry I'm sure they will, look at DoA on 3DS for example. (In fact, it's probably easier NOT to use the touch screen for that :P)

As for buttons, I think that will become very useful, when you need a coloured button, or one with a picture. I think they'll work in combination with the 'real' buttons.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MvC3 and UMvC3 had Simple and Normal control options, SSFIV 3D had a touch screen option, UMvC3 Vita had the Simple/Normal option with touch screen controls option as well (right?).

The big word here is "option". Competitive online play doesn't allow "casual" options anyway for these games I'm pretty sure so there's not really an issue with it.

If fighters ever do someone become a touchscreen-only affair, you'll most likely have virtual buttons and joystick like SFIV on the iPhone. Which wasn't that bad.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the versatility of the control is offering many ways to control games, including the traditional controls of a Classic Controller or a PS360 controller.

I really wish that developers always give an option of using new fancy controls that use the special abilities of the controller and traditional controls. Like with the 3DS I think everygame that uses aiming should have an option for TS-aiming (yes, I`m looking at you RE:Revelations!)

Let`s take CoD as an example: There should always be dual-analog-controls and the Wiimote-Nunchuck-combo as defaults. But for example they could include an option for using the gyro to aim while ADS or sniping.

Or in BatmanAC there could be many ways how you could incooperate the gyro for gadgets. I think how that broadens the boarders of the TV and just could show the image on the TV in a different way could lend to some pretty interesting gameplay-mechanics.

Or if ME would come to WiiU the normal gameplay would be on the TV and on the TS of the controller you would have a bird-perspetiv and you could command your allies by touching and such.

Or having games only play on the TS similar to NinjaGaiden:DS.

And so on... the possibilities are limitless while still allowing developers to be lazy and just port games over with not much effort!

Thankfully as I heard the controller is said to be very light and comfortable, despite the fact that it`s huge! So this wouldn`t get too tiring...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they're really keeping the directional slashing in MGR: Revengeance, the touch screen would work well for that.

I'd also take the touchscreen slashing over the motion slashing in like Skyward Sword. I couldn't stand it.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If they're really keeping the directional slashing in MGR: Revengeance, the touch screen would work well for that.

I'd also take the touchscreen slashing over the motion slashing in like Skyward Sword. I couldn't stand it.
Dude, I thought you would back me up because of Red Steel 2... That game should be with PSMove exclusively :P

Sorry for the off-topic ;) and with it I meant MGR:R...

I have an idea for the Wii U controller. ANALOG TRIGGERS
For driving games... Because those are the only ones that use them in a manner that can add to the expirience. For all those other kind of games normal buttons are better and more comfortable to push. I`m not much into driving games, aside MarioKart or Blur so I don`t mind them scrapping those!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I thought you would back me up because of Red Steel 2... That game should be with PSMove exclusively :P

Sorry for the off-topic ;) and with it I meant MGR:R...

I liked Red Steel 2's motion controls over Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword just felt like it didn't do it well. In Red Steel 2 I could actually swing it like a sword. In Skyward Sword, it was basically just felt like I was a clock, moving my hands until I reach the right number to do a directional slash in. It really didn't make the combat look or feel sleek like it did in Red Steel 2, where I could slash a guy off the ground and then pelt him with bullets in the air. Red Steel 2 is just like the ultimate motion controlled game. It doesn't feel gimmicky at all, it shows that motion is needed for some aspects over regular controls, and it didn't shoehorn in the controls everywhere like Skyward Sword did.

I do enjoy motion swordplay but for a game where every enemy is literally based around the direction you slash in, a touchscreen is better suited than a game like Red Steel which has some emphasis on this but you need the controller for gunplay as well.

I hope this is what you were talking about, lol.

EDIT: And for Arkham City I thought someone would suggest using the controller as Detective Mode or whatever. Hold it up to the screen like it's an x-ray or something. Not that I'd actually enjoy doing that every time I want/need to use Detective Mode but it'd be kinda neat. I'd rather just keep it to a button.

Just in general, I found the biggest uses for touchscreens are for multimedia functions and additional button mapping. Multimedia because it's easier to use a touchscreen designed GUI than almost everything else and it can function as a keyboard, mouse, remote control, anything pretty much. Button mapping because for a console (like the Vita) that doesn't have every button on it can map some stuff to the touchscreen and avoid convoluted controls. As a gameplay aspect though, I've played plenty of games that use a touchscreen, for DS to iPod to Vita, and I can easily say I can live without the gameplay features. I just like it mostly for the button mapping.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the most useful option for me would be just a map for a game. I always hate going into a menu or something to see the whole map of a game. That would be particularly useful for Arkham City.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@[member='Guild McCommunist']: I agree that the games are very different. RS2 is very much "in you face" and Zelda is like fencing (patience and such is rewarded) so who knows where MGR puts its emphasis...

Don`t know about touchscreen-slashing but at least it would be amazingly precise!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Guild McCommunist']: I agree that the games are very different. RS2 is very much "in you face" and Zelda is like fencing (patience and such is rewarded) so who knows where MGR puts its emphasis...

Don`t know about touchscreen-slashing but at least it would be amazingly precise!

I'm thinking MGR is gonna be much more like RS2. It's meant to be fast paced and frantic. That being said, it would be neat to be able to frantically swipe at the touchscreen as a finisher to cut a guy into a million little pieces (if you saw the trailer, Raiden does that to an enemy as a "finisher" type of thing). Dynasty Warriors Next has you doing a similar thing when you're "finishing" a guy in a duel and it's rather satisfying, especially if they guy you're facing is a gigantic pain in the ass with a hundred billion health.

I don't know if they're really keeping the directional slashing though. Seeing how the game is played, I'm not seeing how they can exactly keep that aspect intact. Plus with a Xbox 360 version (and of course it won't use Kinect), what are they gonna do, map sword controls to an analog stick?

But it is Platinum Games though so you'd be surprised. Although the game isn't coming to the Wii U though so sorry for getting your hopes up.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I remember when I was playing Trauma Center on the DS, there was a part where you had to do an operation in a moving car. Every time it turned you had to stop what you were doing lest you hurt the patient. I was thinking. The Wii U controller has rumble. Wouldn't it be funny if they used the rumble to disrupt your use of the touch screen?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That was scary just had a half a second power flash