Hacking Idea's for AK2 shell redesign.

Topfragger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay we all know the Acekard 2 has a dodgy build of the outer cartridge casing if youve ever handled one.

now before i begin this topic, Anyone who finds this trivial or doesn't care please kindly leave and to those who don't care and like to sniff and snort and turn their nose up and shit on topics then fark off.

What do you guys reckon should be changed, i bought my AK2 from a reseller who of course inflate prices greedily (and applies to all)
and it felt underwhelmingly like a cheap piece of crap (broken Micro SD reader didn't help either)

i think screws would be a good implementation as they would hold the casing together and give it a very nice and solid feel.
because the AK2 is awesome so why the heck should'nt it's design reflect that?

i think keeping the connector plastic strips removed was a good idea, since they often gather grime in original DS games.
it was a good idea, and they can break easily.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The real solution is to spend more on manufacturing the carts, and add some quality control. Screw vs. clips doesn't make that much difference on a 1¢ piece of plastic. I have an M3 Simply (which is held together with a screw), and it feels like a cheap piece of crap too.

Improving the build quality will increase the cost of the product, and that will reduce sales. In the eyes of the manufacturers, barely good enough is still good enough.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
[JOKE]Seriously guys, who actually goes and buys a card solely on the build quality, "ohhh look the DSX has good build quality lets buy it" blah blah bullshit.
[/JOKE]

In all seriousness, The AK2 build quality feels fine to me, the main problem i find is the big chip under the stick is too big and makes it hard to fit into my ds.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even the mighty DS-X had build quality problems. Many carts from the first few batches only worked if you jammed some paper into slot 1 along with the DS-X. I can't think of a single flashcart that didn't/doesn't still have significant build quality issues.

I had an AK2 for about 15 minutes (It was borken, so I had to send it back for replacement), and the quality didn't feel particularly bad for a flashcart.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried gluing it shut? Comparing it to a DSTT (which has a very solid feel to it) the only difference seems to be that the DSTT is glued shut instead of using the plastic clips (maybe the DSTT uses a thicker plastic also -- hard to tell). It's not very often that anyone would need to open up the shell anyway, so I'm wondering if gluing it shut would make it feel more solid.

-Bri

Rice923

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beg to differ about the M3 Simply's build quality. Mine was quite solid. However, It occasionally had problems ejecting/inserting into the DS slot1. Nothing major but it was noticeable.

As for the AK2. They really should do something about the build quality. It's a great flashcart and it should have atleast average build quality to go along with it. I find the most annoying thing it the chip beneath the sticker. That bothers me more than the cheap clips, although those should be done away with as well.

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i ask the same question in the acekart forum. but it was turned down by members there... maybe if those here that want a shell redesign or shell replacement, should head over their forum and ask for it. i was turned down because i was by myself, but if more people ask the same thing. I am sure they will listen.

Topfragger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mhkwong thats what i thought too.

@ Bri yeah i thought about that too but its not worth it, because you might ooze glue onto the PCB
Commercial DS games are gummed together too!

the Actel proasic3 doesnt affect insertion into the DS it barely sticks out a milimeter.

Why would someone buy a flashcart based on Build quality? well for one thing if a manufacturer has taken time to put some effort into their flashcarts build is a sign that they have some pride in their work, which means they intend for it to be popular and earn a great reputation which builds customer trust and customer trust means that people are more likely to regard them as being companys that can make something that works.

Acekard 2 hasen't had a high defect rate, Ozmodchips reports basically zero problems, and Modsupplier told me they only get defects back from BULK buyers.
usually from someone deliberately damaging it or something.

But yeah screws arent too expensive to implement, the AK2 needs a more solid build because right now it's just creaky creaky! creak creak!
feels too tacky and fragile and those plastic clips will probably become brittle and crack over time since their very small and thin to the touch and show white fatigue marks when popped off gently or unclipped to open up the cartridge.

the worst build quality is definitely Ninjapass X9 tho.

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Topfragger said:
Why would someone buy a flashcart based on Build quality? well for one thing if a manufacturer has taken time to put some effort into their flashcarts build is a sign that they have some pride in their work, which means they intend for it to be popular and earn a great reputation which builds customer trust and customer trust means that people are more likely to regard them as being companys that can make something that works.

Acekard 2 hasen't had a high defect rate, Ozmodchips reports basically zero problems, and Modsupplier told me they only get defects back from BULK buyers.
usually from someone deliberately damaging it or something.

snip

the worst build quality is definitely Ninjapass X9 tho.

I agree with you there topfragger. when manufacturer's put more effect into the flashcart people will notice. I remember reading this in a topic before, saying that Cyclo DS is sturdy, although the Actel chip sticks out but they like the way they puts their flashcarts in a tin case. It makes it stand out from the rest.

my edge DS on the other hand was a let down. the build was poorly finished (wasnt even sanded down properly, still can see where the mold was clipped. e.g. like what you get from gundam models.) it didnt have a sticker to cover the the Actel chip. but i do give credit to the packaging. its unique.

and if you get a acekard rpg from a japanese shop. you will even get replacement shells for the flashcart to match the colour of you DS too. (black, white, silver, pink and baby blue) they put extra efford in it too. and i liked it very much it was very sturdy. (for some reason, you dont get replacement shells if you get it from anywhere else)

but for the acekard 2, it is a budget flashcart compare to the acekard rpg. but it feels very tacky, gluing it shut helps it a bit. the acekard 2 wont break fall appart completely. just expect one or two chips in the corner. overall acekard 2 aint the worst. i even brough 3 more acekard 2 for my friends from Dealextreme.

(havent tried the ninjapass x9 yet. but i mite do, give me a few more weeks and i will get a few more flashcarts)

Topfragger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't touch Ninjapass it's a piece of shee ight.

I'm selling my DS to my friend and buying a new DS lite, i'm even getting a new flashcard and giving him my AK2 i kinda made the sticker look scruffy ever since i removed it.

heh i knew the Edge was a piece of shit in some way other than the fact its just a completely stolen design from reverse engineering the Cyclo DS, they sell the Edge out of factory for ridiculous prices too.

Edge is a cash cow piece of shit and the team are a bunch of robbers basically.

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol. i knew the Edge is a piece of shyt. but i got it anyway just to finish my collection of flashcarts. now I am aiming to get DSTT, iTouch and EzFlash 5. I might just be crazy enough to ninjapass too, even tho you and other members on the forum warned me.

@topgragger: hmm i want a new DS lite. I want the new lime one. what flashcart are you going to get? u gonna get another ak2? or are you thinkin of gettin akRPG?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Boo hoo. The thing costs like $12 and you want it made out of polished gold and reinforced titanium.

I would wager that I can drop my RPG out my window right now, run downstairs and pick it up and it will work fine.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
Boo hoo. The thing costs like $12 and you want it made out of polished gold and reinforced titanium.

I would wager that I can drop my RPG out my window right now, run downstairs and pick it up and it will work fine.

How much?

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeVante said:
dib said:

How much?

DeVante, I'll go further and wager with that bitter fan boy that he can jump outside his window and he will work fine afterwards. (Obviously I don't mind losing the wager)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-