Idea: Universal control mapper

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by technickal, Aug 19, 2015.

1. technickal
    OP

technickal Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2014
    United States
    So now that the 3DS homebrew scene is lively, I'd like to share one of my ideas. How about an app that lets you universally change the control scheme of the 3DS? I mean, make A act like B, B act like Y, etc. Basically, tricking the 3DS into thinking one button is another. This would be very useful for some games, since most of them don't offer customizable controls. Like tweaking the control to a preferred scheme in 3DS or 3DS Virtual Console games, or even having the Circle Pad simulate the Stylus instead of the Control Pad when playing DS games, which could be really useful in Super Mario 64 DS, for example, because it gives full analog control. And of course, you would be able to change the controls back at any time, so you can tweak them to your liking when you're playing certain games.

Thoughts?

2. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I don't think that would be possible, and if it were, it would require kernel access, which Ninjhax 2.1 doesn't have. The new kernel just hasn't been cracked yet, and there's no telling when that'll happen. I've been following the 3DS homebrew scene since May as well. Actually, the kernel as been patched since FW 9.3, which came out last December.

EDIT: So basically, and there has been a PSA post about this; Ninjhax/IronHax/TubeHax, only allows userland. So simple homebrew and emulators (without dynarec) are compatible. Anything that messes with the system is a no-go. About themes, those run on a cache saved on the SD card, so that has nothing to do with a kernel exploit.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. technickal
    OP

technickal Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2014
    United States
    Oh, OK.

4. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I still think this could be a good idea if it were actually possible.

Selim873 likes this.
  5. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I totally agree with you! But unfortunately, it probably won't ever happen. :/

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  6. Esppiral

Esppiral GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    This could be very useful to me because my L and R buttons woks randomly T_T

7. technickal
    OP

technickal Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2014
    United States
    It's not possible to universally change the controls at the user level, I guess, but would it be possible to temporarily override the controls for one game? I remember it was possible with Gecko OS on Wii.