Homebrew Idea: separating romfs file from cia archieves during installation

pdapanda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
When we looking backward upon the PSP scene, it is normal to load a game iso file directly from its memory stick, and then we can play the games.
But when it comes to 3ds, we haven't find a way to just load a rom file from internal SD or microSD card.

Yes,we can install a cia, but the time could be long depending on the size of the cia file.

Most of the cia file is romfs,however,is it really necessary to 'install' the romfs?
Can’t we just place the romfs somewhere on the SD card,and redirect the path to it?
Then what we need to install will be a very small cia file,which just contains icon,banner,exefs,exeheader and code. It usually won’t be bigger than 10MB.
Image, when you want to install Biohazard revelations, it takes nearly one hour to install a 3.2GB file normally,but now what you need to install is just a file no bigger than 10MB.
And you don‘t need huge empty space on SD card anymore.

Here I did an experiment with the USA Terraria.cia file.

At this time, I just used the hans to redirect the romfs file,but I think it would be possible for CFW to redirect automatically in the futute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qa1ox4qIdE

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely possible. Not sure if it would really be that useful though. And if you're going to go that far, why not redirect the code.bin too?

Last edited by GalladeGuy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all