Idea - New Sav Sender

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Gryphon93, Jan 4, 2010.

Jan 4, 2010

Idea - New Sav Sender by Gryphon93 at 7:03 PM (1,788 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Gryphon93
    OP

Member Gryphon93 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Since I can't connect my DS to our network at home and since I don't have an Ez-Flash 3-in-1, I've been thinking a lot about how to backup my games save-files. I got and idea yesterday about how to do this without using a computer or another flashcard. One of my brothers do also have a Nintendo DS, and since we've two, we can play games against each other. When I thought about it, I realized that it got to work to backup game-saves, and maybe even games, by using 2 DSes and one flashcard.

I think it would be possible to start the backup-homebrew on one of the DS-consoles and then take out the flashcard and start up the homebrew on the other DS as well. Then, while keeping the flashcard in the DS you started last, you put the game you would like to backup in the first DS. Then you start a "server" on the second DS and begin to send the save (or game) from the first DS, to the other one, via WiFi, just like you would when you play a game locally against each other. The second DS saves the data to the MicroDS-card (that the first DS is sending to it), and when the transfer is done, you can switch to another game if you want and repeat the process.

I hope you understand what I mean. If not, please tell me. I would really like a homebrew that could do this, or even a patch for any existing backup-homebrew (like SavSender). Please tell me if you're able to do something and what you think about the idea! Thanks!

2. ChuckMcB

Member ChuckMcB GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Personally I would work on troubleshooting your home network.

3. Gryphon93
    OP

Sweden
    The "problem" with our network is that it's WPA-encrypted, and it would be really stupid to change to WEP-encryption just to be able to connect my DS. That's why I'm looking for another solution.

4. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    Having 3 DSses, I have thought about this before too...

5. ChuckMcB

Member ChuckMcB GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I've run WEP since I got my DSs, as long as you have firewalls on all your PC, no open drive shares, block SMTP via wireless and put a throttle on the wireless clients it will not matter if a scipt kiddie cracks your WEP password. but hey it's your home...your rules [​IMG]

6. WioWao

Member WioWao GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    In our house we just use MAC address filtering.
    Then nobody else than the MAC adresses we entered can connect to our router ^^ except if they plug in a LAN cable but hey. Then they are allready in your house [​IMG]

7. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Use a USB NWFC from like a best buy, or online. They work pretty well. [​IMG]

8. f3ar000

Member f3ar000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah this is a great way to do it

9. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Yep. I totally broke my neighbour's window and plugged my laptop to the ethernet port of their router!

10. WioWao

Denmark
    I dont know if you 2 misunderstood my point. But when using mac adress filtering you dont really need WEP or WPA to keep everyone out. Then the problem is solved since he can now connect to his network with his DS [​IMG]

Unless you are using WPA to make it hard to crack of course.

11. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    If this Homebrew only worked when 3 DS's are used, I guarantee that no one would use it.

12. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    You could just unlock for a few minutes, that's what we do here.

13. Blake1710

Member Blake1710 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i can't imagine that the wireless that the ds would use to connect to each other would be very fast. the transfer would be painfully slow.

unless they use the wi-fi.

14. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    Saves are (usually) light, it couldn't take more than a few minutes on a bad day.

15. Blake1710

Member Blake1710 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    oh yeah.

i though that you'd be transferring roms as well...

16. Gryphon93
    OP

Sweden
    Hey, it was just an idea x). I will make this homebrew myself when I learn how to code DS-homebrew (I can code, but I've never done any DS-coding), if no one else wants to do it. Still, it was an idea, and I won't change the encryption for our network, since I'm not the only one using it (we've a lot of computers, I don't want to change the network-settings on all of them...). Wouldn't it work to make a patch for SavSender or something, or is that too much work? I would be really happy if this was a working solution, but if it isn't, then I've to drop the whole idea. Please discuss the idea instead of telling me what to do with my network x).

17. WioWao

Denmark
    WPA is for DSi-mode only. So unfortunately it's not possible to patch it.

18. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    It's a good idea, maybe you can code it so that the ds with the regular game just needs to go into wireless to enable the flashcart-ds to extract the save file.