PS1/2 IDE to SD adapters w/HDloader

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've been considering replacing my Silver Slim with a Fat model so I can back my games up to the HDD. I have a lead on a used model that is being sold with the original network adapter and I recently discovered that IDE to SD card adapters exist. This certainly seems more convenient for file management seeing as most computers have an SD slot while connecting a HDD to a computer requires a separate cable and a power supply.

Has anyone tried using one of these with their PS2s? Are there certain SD card formats one should use? I'd like to be able to use exFat since some games are over 4 gigs in size.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As long as they do the job properly (IDE is directly compatible with CompactFlash, not SD, though reputable active converters between the latter two formats exist so chaining such a converter and an IDE-CF adapter or even finding an all in one unit isn't weird), they will work (with unofficial software, and ATAD-patched official software - not differently than using any unofficial HDD)

There will similarly be no difference in what the disk will have to contain - an APA partition "table" with PFS and HDLoader file systems (the latter of which you can manage fine when connected directly to a PC, with HDL-Dump)

In short:
- Install a MBR (note the PS2 definition of the term is different from the standard one) to the card containing wLaunchELF or older (uLaunchELF), there is a proper way to do that with HDL-Dump but it's acceptable to use a premade disk image since we'll be erasing it immediately after
- Insert it into the converter, and it into the console (always with the mechanical power switch off), it will boot directly to said homebrew
- Go to FileManager/Misc/HddManager/R1/Format to create a new and proper APA
- Use a MBR/FAT16 or 32 USB drive containing loose HDDOSD files (optional and hard to find, wink wink), and the newest FMCB installer
- If desired, copy HDDOSD files to the __sysconf and __system partitions
- Run the FMCB installer and install FHDB (required to put a proper MBR on the card, remove it afterwards if you want to)
- Done, load any homebrews/media/PS1 games using the usual filesystem-based methods (wLaunchELF + USB or RadHostClient, there's pfsshell if you really want to do it on PC but it's not too great), and PS2 backups using the greatest methods (HDL-Dump if you want to do it with the card directly connected to a PC, HDL-Dump or HDLGameInstaller (better) via ethernet, HDLGameInstaller to directly copy original or 100% backups (not recommended))

Reactions: Alexander1970

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea i decided to go with a SATA network adapter. Do SSDs actually work with OPL/HDloader?
I've heard bad things about some of the modified Network Adapters that have the IDE directly replaced with SATA. I'm using OPL with an unmodified IDE Network Adapter, a StarTech IDE to SATA adapter, a really short IDE cable, and a 2.5" laptop HDD (although an SSD should work ok too).

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've heard bad things about some of the modified Network Adapters that have the IDE directly replaced with SATA. I'm using OPL with an unmodified IDE Network Adapter, a StarTech IDE to SATA adapter, a really short IDE cable, and a 2.5" laptop HDD (although an SSD should work ok too).
What sort of bad things?

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What sort of bad things?
I seem to recall someone frying something with one of those, although I can't find it now. It might be perfectly fine.

I'm not sure how it routes power to the SATA port, and if one eBay seller of an IDE->SATA upgrade kit is to be believed, networking might not actually work on the predone ones? Take that with a grain of salt.

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I seem to recall someone frying something with one of those, although I can't find it now. It might be perfectly fine.

I'm not sure how it routes power to the SATA port, and if one eBay seller of an IDE->SATA upgrade kit is to be believed, networking might not actually work on the predone ones? Take that with a grain of salt.
Hmm... okay. The console I ended up getting didnt come with a network adapter and i havent even bothered to order one yet as i have to replace the laser on my PS2 first. I'll do a bit more research before i pull the trigger either way.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hmm... okay. The console I ended up getting didnt come with a network adapter and i havent even bothered to order one yet as i have to replace the laser on my PS2 first. I'll do a bit more research before i pull the trigger either way.

Hello.:)

I also want to try an SATA Network Adapter.I have ordered this from Amazon (of course it is Chinaware...:D).

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07WGG7Q6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It should arrive in the next 1-2 Weeks.Then we will see if

:D

Thank you.:)

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The official Network Adapter modified with the maxdiypower.com IDE-to-SATA modkit is the probably the best route for internal HDD setups. If you buy modkits from eBay (or even Amazon), chances are you might have to modify the Network Adapter in order to make them fit (not the case with the maxdiypower.com one). Just read the reviews and see for yourself.

If you buy the clone network adapters (whether IDE or SATA, by Gamestar or by some Chinese make), do note that the earlier models were designed off of old versions of the public PS2 SDK (not the official Sony SDK), which have not gone through many revisions. The end result is that the older clone adapters do not have as good compatibility as the official ones.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

The Adapter arrived today.

P1060719.JPG P1060720.JPG

I will try it as soon as possible and report if something "burns" or "get on fire".....:D

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello !
To stick to the initial thread title, here is a little how-to for SD mod :
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f20/my-ps2-hdd-setup-reading-off-sd-card-adapter-133944/
i used it on many PS2 without flaws.

Now, for SATA adapter, i had one with those yellow box. It worked pretty well, but the game "Ico" was randomly freezing. This never occured with neither official IDE adapter, nor SD adapter.

Hope it could help.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Reactions: Ryccardo

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

In Case of the SATA Adapter I move the Games from 3 IDE HDDs to one SATA HDD.
There I discovered a new Challenge:

How ?

- WinHiip - only one HDD image or complete Backup possible.Not 3 different.
- HDL Dump Helper GUI - no PS2 HDD as Source possible (only CD/DVD or ISO).

Two Options left:

- Install every single Game again vom DVD
- Extract the Images from the 3 IDE PS2 HDDs and copy it again to the SATA HDD

Did I miss some better Solution(s) ?

Thank you for any Suggestions and Advises.:)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The command line (full) version of hdl-dump can copy individual games between 2 disks (I think it has a full disk copy option too but it's a bad idea? iirc)

But yeah, the simplest option is to cleanly install them from iso backups on your computer (great excuse to check out this new hdl-dump frontend: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a.551420/ ) - preferably after formatting the disk in wLaunchELF of course :)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The command line (full) version of hdl-dump can copy individual games between 2 disks (I think it has a full disk copy option too but it's a bad idea? iirc)

But yeah, the simplest option is to cleanly install them from iso backups on your computer (great excuse to check out this new hdl-dump frontend: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a.551420/ ) - preferably after formatting the disk in wLaunchELF of course :)

Let´s see if I can manage this........:D

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat