Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So where exactly am I suppose to plug in Icon Grabber? I have everything else set up but I'm lost as to where Icon should be placed in my SD card.
Huh? You dont have to plug it in anywhere, nor do you need to place icons yourself anywhere.
You open the homebrew, search for a game and then icon. You download all the icons you want and then you apply a downloaded icon to whatever game you have installed - all within the homebrew.

Duhchampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? You dont have to plug it in anywhere, nor do you need to place icons yourself anywhere.
You open the homebrew, search for a game and then icon. You download all the icons you want and then you apply a downloaded icon to whatever game you have installed - all within the homebrew.
Sorry for wasting your time I ended up figuring out what I needed to do. I'm still very new to how this stuff works so I do tend to overlook things.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Slluxx

JToro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First and Foremost, THANK YOU for this amazing work! Loving the new theme i'm using with Vertical icons! Your app made it so easy.
This may have been covered before, but I haven't seen it. I got almost all my games properly changed to vertical icons but there are a few, like Wario Ware being one that no matter the icon I download (res set to 600x900) it doesn't populate and leaves me with a grey box and question mark.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First and Foremost, THANK YOU for this amazing work! Loving the new theme i'm using with Vertical icons! Your app made it so easy.
This may have been covered before, but I haven't seen it. I got almost all my games properly changed to vertical icons but there are a few, like Wario Ware being one that no matter the icon I download (res set to 600x900) it doesn't populate and leaves me with a grey box and question mark.
Glad you like it haha

That usually means that the image is not compatible. There are certain restrictions, like it cant be an image with transparency or after resizing it cant be over a few kilobytes (don't ask me how big exactly) and other things. I dont think its an issue with the game itself, so you just have to try other images. For example you could test an image from a different game that already works, just to make sure.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometime (i don't know why) images just refuse to convert I've found if it's downloaded the image as a PNG that causes the grey box issue more often than not.

Images must be jpg, non progressive and under 128kb ( I aim for 120 for maximum compatibility)

You could try nxgic or manually downloading the icon from my repo https://github.com/sodasoba1/NSW-Custom-Game-Icons/tree/main/Vertical/W and replacing it in SD:/atmosphere/contents/gameTID

Or placing the jpg into the icongrabber download folder on the SD card and applying it from icongrabber, I can't remember exactly where that is ATM, but I've done this before and can confirm it works.

I'm unsure if you have read my GitHub.io page but I've tried my best to write up as much information to help people using vertical themes

JToro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you both! You are legends. I'll get to trying some others or doing the converstions myself. Once again, THANK YOU!

Bamxcore

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having issues with crashing on some titles when trying to apply a cover (Octopath Traveller and Sparks of Hope to name a couple) Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: Have made sure I have the DMCA fix version but it is still saying it's version 1.0.0 instead of 1.0.1 for some reason. I have got the custom icons to work using Sodas pre-made ones and adding them to the title ID folder, however I still am experiencing the crashing. Now I think about it the crashing is only happening on 1st party titles.

Last edited by Bamxcore,

monkeydportgas

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Update:

- SteamGridDB has been almost completly integrated. the only thing missing is to choose the image resolution inside the settings and use that to fetch the correct icons from the API. This is very easy to fix.
- Local folders have been implemented. Put your own icons inside `sdmc:/switch/icongrabber/local` and you will be able to apply them to any game. you can even put them into as many subfolders as you want for easy management.

Whats left to do:
- custom source: upload your own json file somewhere that links to images. for example you can create a json file and fill that with urls from any image on the web (imgur, whatever) and upload that json somewhere (for example github). you can now share your json url to anyone and they will be able to browse your images. you can do everything within a github repository of course. I will link an example once its done.
- small UI adjustments
- implementing sys-tweak download/update logic
- startup checks (disallow applet mode, check homebrew location and move binary etc)

WIP but this is what the local icons menu will look like. you can press A on a folder to browse inside it, B toget back. there is no limit in folder depth.
View attachment 296983

Hey so is the local folder thing not working anymore? I am on the most recent version and htere is no local folder option when I open icongrabber.

Also, I just updated to v17.0.0. Is a new sys-tweak version necessary? When I go on github, I cant find any recent version.

FoxStorm1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
bit.ly
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

this is IconGrabber. A homebrew that one can probably best describe as an unofficial steamgriddb.com client for the Nintendo Switch. You can search for games and then preview and download icons that you want. After that, you can apply any icon to any installed title of your switch and replace the original. In order for them to be displayed, you need to use sys-tweak though.

The Switch default icons are 256x256 but the tool will automatically resize any downloaded sizes to fit. This means you can use 512x512 or 1024x1024 icons (works best with 1:1 ratio). Once you applied a custom icon to a game, you need to restart the console for it to take effect.

To use this tool, you must create an API key here and use it. Otherwise you will not be able to find games or icons.

If you dont want to use the Switch keyboard to type the key, you can use/create the config file
Code:
/config/icongrabber/config.json
with the content:
Code:
{
"api_token": "",
"resolution_id": 5,
"style_id": 0
}

Download on Github

Note: The code isn't the cleanest. PRs are welcome!
Note: I was only able to test this on 2 consoles. I expect things to break. Please open an issue if it does.

Some of you might have noticed that this isn't new. Custom game icons existed for a while now and even tools to "generate" them. But they all required a PC to use and couldn't be operated just from the switch. The reason i created this is to have a more streamlined and easy way to change icons.

THEME TEASER

And there is another thing (and this is where the fun actually begins): There are some Vertical icon themes but the resources are quite old and are written very poorly. This tool probably works with them too but i never found docs on their aspect ratios and so on. This is why i am developing my own vertical icon theme (2:3 ratio). Here is a little teaser (with custom icons from IconGrabber):

View attachment 273361

The Icons were downloaded with a resolution of 600x900. you must have a special theme for it to work. The Theme is in active development and will be shared soon.
Crashes when a game has dmca removed icons so have to always reboot if encounter, I suggest using NX Game Icon Customizer, it has support for 1:1 icons. https://github.com/sodasoba1/NSW-Custom-Game-Icons-square

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I try to search for the game icon after installing it, it gets stuck and stays on that interface.
https://sodasoba1.github.io/icongrabber/

I have written a detailed guide here, unfortunately I won't be able to fork the repo or update apps so once they become broken I will update my guide to state which version breaks.

I'm using latest firmware (17.X.X) & atmosphere and icongrabber is still working.

Reactions: mmxyssky

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Legend, I will shut up now after being put in my place
I can vouch for my own cart icons on the nx-gic repo (300+) because I made them.
I've seen others on steamgriddb but I spoke to an admin and they don't like them on there so I've not put mine on sgdb I also have a cart template on GitHub so people can make their own

Reactions: ceeka and Slluxx

levelsatu

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
hallo soda, can you help me? please make switch icon cartridge for game : crysis 2-3, pikmin 4, smash bros ultimate, tetris effect,naruto x boruto , or can you send me catridge template link ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto