Hardware I would like to turn my laptop into a router for ds wifi

Z-09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello everyone. i honestly had no idea where to put this. since it is mainly about my computer, i thought it would be best to put it here. also, i tried to search forums for help, but i can't find anyone with the same laptop i have.

ok with that aside, i would like to turn my MSI S6000 laptop

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5415...-Computer-With/

into a wireless router so i can play my ds games on it. unfortunately i ran into several problems. i can't find one for free that supports my laptop and can use a WEP encryption to play ds wifi games on. i tried programs like connectify but they are either for only WPA encryption or my they are not compatible with my laptop. does anyone know of such a software that could be the answer? again, i have no spare cash on me and i would like to find one for free. if anyone can at least recommend something that can work with my laptop, i would greatly appreciate it. thank you for taking the time to read this and have a good day

**if it helps, my laptop is an MSI S6000 with Windows 7 (64 bit) pre-installed. the link above provides more details of my laptop.

Z-09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol sorry about that. i have fixed the link.

as for cnet.com, i know they have trusted software. i just can't find what i'm looking for :/. (and i'm not lazy. i've checked
tongue.gif
)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Have you tried setting the WiFi up as an access point and using ICS (internet connection sharing) to share the internet from ethernet? That's pretty much all the ex-official Nintendo WiFi dongle did, except for that crappy lil software it shipped with.

Z-09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the late response.

i'm sorry, i don't understand what you mean Originality. could you please explain?

if you mean by turning the connectify mode to wep, it is only wpa. also i tried my ds settings for "search for access point", but i only get grey locks saying i can't connect to them. i don't know what internet connection sharing is tbh.

***also i forgot to mention, my laptop in my dorm is connected to the school's internet network by using an LAN cord. so i can't do anything to the school's internet to fix it to where i can make it compatible with my ds. it is owned by the university (sorry if i'm explaining the obvious. i talked to one person on another site about this and he clearly didn't understand what i meant by "the SCHOOL'S network". he tried to tell me to trace ip and adjust the settings, which i can't do >.>).nothing here is wireless. this cord is sadly the only way i have internet -_-

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you get your internet through ethernet, you can go to the network settings for your ethernet adaptor, go to the sharing tab, and enable ICS. That will allow users connected via WiFi to share the laptop's internet from the ethernet.

All that's left is to turn the WiFi into an Access Point (meaning it will create a WiFi network in whatever security you desire (WEP) for other devices to connect to). I don't know specifically how to set that up for laptops as they tend to use their own version of a WiFi agent instead of Windows Zero.

If you cannot configure your WiFi card to create an AP, you can buy a USB dongle and it will certainly have a means to be turned into an AP.

Z-09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok. i just went through a LOT of time trying to get ad-hoc to work. i called and got help from nintendo wifi, and they told me ad-hoc is not compatible with pokemon white or metroid prime hunters (the only wifi games i play).

is ad-hoc the same thing as ICS?

Marlonguppy

Trophies
Website
artoftrolling.memebase.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Z-09 said:
ok. i just went through a LOT of time trying to get ad-hoc to work. i called and got help from nintendo wifi, and they told me ad-hoc is not compatible with pokemon white or metroid prime hunters (the only wifi games i play).

is ad-hoc the same thing as ICS?
No.
First you must create a AD Hoc network, then you follow http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vi...setup-in-vista/ (it is for vista, but works also exactly the same for 7 .
Edit: even more detail: http://lifehacker.com/#!5369381/turn-y...ireless-hotspot

Z-09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks marlongpuppy. would ics possibly connect with my ds? i tried just the ad-hoc the the guy for nintendo wifi said it wasn't compatible with my games. i'm trying to play my new white version on my ds lite on wifi.

@xakota: thanks. if nothing works out, i'll try to save up money for this

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the DS doesn't work in Ad Hoc.
You need to convert your wifi ad hoc card into an Access Point card.

Either your card's firmware officially allows the swap from Ad Hoc to Access Point anytime you want, either you have to use another firmware compatible with your card or use another Wifi Card.
You can use PCMCIA wifi card (I did it myself using Hercule's Wifi card which also exist in PCMCIA card) or you can use an USB dongle acting as an Access Point.

I don't know about your computer, but there are some tutorials explaining how to convert a Ralink RT 2500 card into access point :
http://gbatemp.net/t28307-tranform-your-rt...or-nintendowifi
http://gbatemp.net/t223663-tutorial-making...s-psp?&st=0

You could try these firmware/software and see if it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply...