Hacking I want to make rxTools my main firmware [HELP]

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I want to make rxTools my main firmware. What do I mean? I'll explain. I hear a lot of people talking about unlinking synand and emunand? I don't exactly get it (Even though I have rxTools). I want to be able turn on my 3DS and BOOM be right into rxTools. I even hear people talking about updating to 10.3 and STILL being able to install CIA files. How can I do this? Can someone maybe explain to me what it is? I'd like it to be my "main" firmware if that makes any sense

Shortened version:
  • "Main Firmware"
  • What is unlinking sysnand and emunand? Should I do it so I can make it my main firmware? What is the difference between the two? Which one should I be using? How can I achieve this?
  • Ability to update Firmware and still have rxTools? [I don't know if its possible, its just something I've heard]
  • Turn on 3DS and have it boot into rxTools. Essentially almost getting rid of the main 3DS firmware
  • Install CIA files on 10.3 with rxTools. [Still something I may have heard, however not completely necessary]
  • Install CIA files onto 9.2 and have those CIA files go to the 3DS's main firmware. [Possibility?]
Thank you so much! I tried my best to make this as easy for you guys to understand this as possible!
I've had these questions FOREVER but I've neglected to ask

Last edited by Xanthe,
D

Deleted User

memchunkhax2 is an arm11 kernel exploit that was patched in 10.4, but not the preceding firmwares it exists in, such as 10.3. This allows for a couple of things, but not everything the arm9 kernel can do. One thing it does allow for is the installation of legit .cias on 10.3 and below without CFW. Though, even though it works, there's always a small chance it could brick your system.

The best setup at the moment seems to be a 9.2 sysNAND and an emuNAND that is up-to-date so that you can coldboot into emuNAND using menuhax. Depending on your system and preferred CFW, this will vary. For you and rxTools, I understand that the O3DS is able to have an emuNAND at 10.3 with it (at least). For the N3DS, it's 9.5. However, the rxTools team is working on 10.4 emuNAND support for the N3DS, so if that's your system, be patient for 10.4. In the mean time, you can update to 9.5 if you so choose, and there are a couple of guides out here that will give you the know-how since whenever you want to update to a firmware that's not the latest, you do not use the official method.

From what I understand, unlinked NANDs is just like having two separate systems. When the NANDs are linked, whatever you install on one NAND gets installed on the other. For GBA VC titles, that's not such a big deal, but for everything else, it's a pain in the butt. Not to mention the whole NNID thing gets a little wonky, and whenever you go to sysNAND, everything in emuNAND gets wrapped again. And of course, if you're installing unsigned .cias, you can't run them on sysNAND. If you want to get rid of these and go to Data Management to do so, your installed .cias get deleted. These things are why unlinking NANDs is a good idea. There are ways around some of these, if you don't want to unlink. Cardinal rule here: installing things in one NAND installs them on the other, INCLUDING UPDATES. IF YOU UPDATE ONE NAND WHILE THE NANDS ARE LINK, BOTH NANDS GET UPDATED.

As for which NAND you want to use for your main one, that's really up to you. This guide gives some helpful information:

As for which NAND to format, that's entirely up to you. The unformatted one will keep all the data of your old system, whereas the formatted one will be completely wiped and become a blank slate. This includes NNID, Friend Code, all games and DLC, etc.

Go with formatting SysNAND if:
• You'd like to transfer all your SysNAND content to EmuNAND
• You'd like to keep using your NNID in the eShop on EmuNAND
• You want to keep your Friend Code in EmuNAND
Go with formatting EmuNAND if:
• You'd like to keep all your SysNAND content in SysNAND
• You don't have an NNID linked, OR:
• You don't mind having to modify SysNAND to access the eShop on it

What I recommend personally is that you back up both NANDs before making your decision, unlink your emuNAND from your sysNAND (keeping your sysNAND intact) and experiment with your emuNAND a bit to get familiar with it and what it's like. At any point if you want to make your emuNAND your main firmware, as you put it, then follow a guide that explains how to keep your NNID and purchases on your emuNAND.

For me, having an unlinked emuNAND (ergo my sysNAND is my 'main firmware' which has my NNID and purchases) works fine because the major games I have are physical media, so I don't need to worry so much about the firmware. It's just saves and DLC that are the kicker depending on where the saves are stored, and DLC always. It's possible to inject DLC data, though, so there's that.

The last thing to mention here is that if you're running rxTools, it doesn't matter what firmware you're using - you can always install .cias, legitimate or not. rxTools patches signature checks.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
memchunkhax2 is an arm11 kernel exploit that was patched in 10.4, but not the preceding firmwares it exists in, such as 10.3. This allows for a couple of things, but not everything the arm9 kernel can do. One thing it does allow for is the installation of legit .cias on 10.3 and below without CFW. Though, even though it works, there's always a small chance it could brick your system.

The best setup at the moment seems to be a 9.2 sysNAND and an emuNAND that is up-to-date so that you can coldboot into emuNAND using menuhax. Depending on your system and preferred CFW, this will vary. For you and rxTools, I understand that the O3DS is able to have an emuNAND at 10.3 with it (at least). For the N3DS, it's 9.5. However, the rxTools team is working on 10.4 emuNAND support for the N3DS, so if that's your system, be patient for 10.4. In the mean time, you can update to 9.5 if you so choose, and there are a couple of guides out here that will give you the know-how since whenever you want to update to a firmware that's not the latest, you do not use the official method.

From what I understand, unlinked NANDs is just like having two separate systems. When the NANDs are linked, whatever you install on one NAND gets installed on the other. For GBA VC titles, that's not such a big deal, but for everything else, it's a pain in the butt. Not to mention the whole NNID thing gets a little wonky, and whenever you go to sysNAND, everything in emuNAND gets wrapped again. And of course, if you're installing unsigned .cias, you can't run them on sysNAND. If you want to get rid of these and go to Data Management to do so, your installed .cias get deleted. These things are why unlinking NANDs is a good idea. There are ways around some of these, if you don't want to unlink. Cardinal rule here: installing things in one NAND installs them on the other, INCLUDING UPDATES. IF YOU UPDATE ONE NAND WHILE THE NANDS ARE LINK, BOTH NANDS GET UPDATED.

As for which NAND you want to use for your main one, that's really up to you. This guide gives some helpful information:

As for which NAND to format, that's entirely up to you. The unformatted one will keep all the data of your old system, whereas the formatted one will be completely wiped and become a blank slate. This includes NNID, Friend Code, all games and DLC, etc.

Go with formatting SysNAND if:
• You'd like to transfer all your SysNAND content to EmuNAND
• You'd like to keep using your NNID in the eShop on EmuNAND
• You want to keep your Friend Code in EmuNAND
Go with formatting EmuNAND if:
• You'd like to keep all your SysNAND content in SysNAND
• You don't have an NNID linked, OR:
• You don't mind having to modify SysNAND to access the eShop on it

What I recommend personally is that you back up both NANDs before making your decision, unlink your emuNAND from your sysNAND (keeping your sysNAND intact) and experiment with your emuNAND a bit to get familiar with it and what it's like. At any point if you want to make your emuNAND your main firmware, as you put it, then follow a guide that explains how to keep your NNID and purchases on your emuNAND.

For me, having an unlinked emuNAND (ergo my sysNAND is my 'main firmware' which has my NNID and purchases) works fine because the major games I have are physical media, so I don't need to worry so much about the firmware. It's just saves and DLC that are the kicker depending on where the saves are stored, and DLC always. It's possible to inject DLC data, though, so there's that.

The last thing to mention here is that if you're running rxTools, it doesn't matter what firmware you're using - you can always install .cias, legitimate or not. rxTools patches signature checks.
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy